Hubble's picture of .."Heaven's Gate"..

Wow! Looking at marvellous pictures like this always fills with awe for the beauty, complexity, and immensity of God's creation. It also reminds me of just how infinitesimal we humans are against the backdrop of the cosmos. Upon the heels of this thought comes a deep gratitude that a being as great and powerful as God should love us tiny, puny, and sinful humans. We are so immensely privileged to be the children of a God who is capable of creating what is in that picture. That picture also punctuates the fact that with God all things are possible.

Actually, it's a digital fake. This image is actually a piece of digital artwork that was created by Adam Ferriss and based on a 2011 image taken by the European Southern Observatory (ESO) of the Swan Nebula.
Yes, this is art, not straight-forward representation. I would not call it 'Fake' unless the one that created it passed it off as unaltered.

If someone else knowingly passes it off as a straight representation, he is lying, but the original is still art.

Actually, many astronomical color images are computer composites of monochrome images taken at various wavelengths. Researchers often adjust the color intensity, contrast and other aspects to make details stand out. These are not fake, nor are they really as representational as may seem.

Amens/Likes: bobinfaith
Yes, this is art, not straight-forward representation. I would not call it 'Fake' unless the one that created it passed it off as unaltered.

If someone else knowingly passes it off as a straight representation, he is lying, but the original is still art.

Actually, many astronomical color images are computer composites of monochrome images taken at various wavelengths. Researchers often adjust the color intensity, contrast and other aspects to make details stand out. These are not fake, nor are they really as representational as may seem.
"Hubble's picture of .."Heaven's Gate"..." It's not a picture by Hubble, so it's fake.

"Hubble's picture of .."Heaven's Gate"..." It's not a picture by Hubble, so it's fake.
Most who analyze the picture can see that it has been manipulated (such as streaking the stars). The artist had no intention of passing it off as an un-manipulated image. So the image itself is not a fake. Its a piece of art. Like all better visual art, it communicates to the inner thoughts as well as to the eye.

And, I do not believe that the post on this site intentionally misrepresented it to anyone. It is just an attempt to share an image that, to a believer, inspires a sense of awe of God's creation, even if it is not strictly representational.

At most it was innocently miss-identified.

I am grateful to krossquad for posting it.

Amens/Likes: CoffeeDrinker

CoffeeDrinker

Helper
Staff member
Helper
Most who analyze the picture can see that it has been manipulated (such as streaking the stars). The artist had no intention of passing it off as an un-manipulated image. So the image itself is not a fake. Its a piece of art. Like all better visual art, it communicates to the inner thoughts as well as to the eye.

And, I do not believe that the post on this site intentionally misrepresented it to anyone. It is just an attempt to share an image that, to a believer, inspires a sense of awe of God's creation, even if it is not strictly representational.

At most it was innocently miss-identified.

I am grateful to krossquad for posting it.
I am glad he posted it, too. It made me stop and think about what the City on the Hill actually will look like. I think it's beautiful.

Amens/Likes: Siloam