Hyssop

Dusty

Inactive
Hyssop

I discovered this herb when I was in Israel and always wondered about it as had seen it in the Bible

The name 'hyssop' can be traced back almost unchanged through the Greek hyssopos and Hebrew esob[1]. In the New Testament, a sponge soaked in sour wine or vinegar was stuck on a branch of hyssop and offered to Jesus of Nazareth on the cross just before he died[2]. Both Matthew and Mark mention the occasion but refer to the plant using the general term "kalamos", which is translated as "reed" or "stick". The Book of Exodus records that the blood of the sacrifices was applied to the doorposts using hyssop on the night of Passover. Its purgative properties are also mentioned in the Book of Psalms. [3]
The seeds are sown in spring and the seedlings planted out 40-50 cm apart. Hyssop can also be propagated from heel cuttings or root division in spring or autumn. Hyssop should be grown in full sun on well drained soil, and will benefit from occasional clipping. It is short-lived, and the plants will need to be replaced every few years. Ideal for use as a low hedge or border within the herb garden

Used sparingly in soups and stews .... Gives a nice flavour and I am told it is a cleansing herb. I bought some when I was in Israel.

Back