I Do Not Like Going To Church

Kayte, When Jesus spoke and taught, he drew big crowds, not so much for his teaching, but because he was "anointed" of the Holy Spirit. One day they would believe what he said and then the next they would not believe! It was the "anointing" which brings the presence of God. People love God's presence. Maybe the Church you have been going to the paster is not "anointed" in what he is saying. That makes huge difference in how it reflects on the hearers. The presence you sense when you pray should be the same presence when you are the right Church. Find a Church were God has anointed the teacher/paster.

Kayte, When Jesus spoke and taught, he drew big crowds, not so much for his teaching, but because he was "anointed" of the Holy Spirit. One day they would believe what he said and then the next they would not believe! It was the "anointing" which brings the presence of God. People love God's presence. Maybe the Church you have been going to the paster is not "anointed" in what he is saying. That makes huge difference in how it reflects on the hearers. The presence you sense when you pray should be the same presence when you are the right Church. Find a Church were God has anointed the teacher/paster.

This sounds like it should be prefaced with bagpipes.

Well the point in church also is to have fellowship while you are around so many other believers in your community so I would say not going doesn't sound like a great idea. Are you friends with anyone in the church or involved in church activities outside of the services?

Ideally, part of our worship happens around a group of believers, but this gal needs to ease her way into it. SHe has anxieties and needs to learn how to manage them while navigating the world that is full of people and crowds. Give her time and with God's help and her hard work, she will get there. ;)

Ideally, part of our worship happens around a group of believers, but this gal needs to ease her way into it. SHe has anxieties and needs to learn how to manage them while navigating the world that is full of people and crowds. Give her time and with God's help and her hard work, she will get there. ;)
I've dealt with anxiety all my life and learned a lot so I think I have some good advice. Going to church is about as safe of a place as you are going to get and a lot easier to conquer anxiety in than out in the streets or in a crowd. The thing with anxiety is that you've got to start small and make accomplishments to build up your self esteem to go onto the next challenge. Church has so many benefits it is literally too much for me to list. Not to mention the bible clearly states that believers should be going to church, I don't think God put that in the Bible for no reason.

I've dealt with anxiety all my life and learned a lot so I think I have some good advice. Going to church is about as safe of a place as you are going to get and a lot easier to conquer anxiety in than out in the streets or in a crowd. The thing with anxiety is that you've got to start small and make accomplishments to build up your self esteem to go onto the next challenge. Church has so many benefits it is literally too much for me to list. Not to mention the bible clearly states that believers should be going to church, I don't think God put that in the Bible for no reason.

I didn't say that Church isn't a safe place. Yes, the Bible tells us that we should fellowship with groups: "church". And yes, church services and activities have a multitude of benefits for the believer - churches that are scripturally based, of course!!

If you deal with anxieties, you should know that they are not rational and we both agree that the OP should start by taking baby steps in getting herself more comfortable in the crowds at church. The term crowd is relative. What you think is a small crowd may be overwhelming to the OP. We need to extend the OP some grace because God is extending her grace.

So, 'God is Love', in the end, I think we agree. :D

I do not feel close to God in church. To me, it is a waste of time. I feel close to God when I pray alone to him. When I pray to Him, I feel like we are having a conversation. But when I am in church, I feel annoyed and basically...just in a gigantic room of people. I know it sounds like a bad thing that I don't like church...but isn't it true that some people prefer to have a close and private relationship with God?

Is there something wrong with me? My mom says its "evil" that I don't like church. I told her everything I said here, and she said I sound evil. Those words hurt. Am I evil?

I have tried listening to everything our pastor says, I listen intently, I do. I don't just sit there staring off into space. I try, I really do! But no matter what, church just feels like an hour-long lecture.
That's because most pastors don't invite the Holy Spirit. Not a surprise really. I don't attend a scheduled building services because of the same reason as you...

I do not feel close to God in church. To me, it is a waste of time. I feel close to God when I pray alone to him. When I pray to Him, I feel like we are having a conversation. But when I am in church, I feel annoyed and basically...just in a gigantic room of people. I know it sounds like a bad thing that I don't like church...but isn't it true that some people prefer to have a close and private relationship with God?

Is there something wrong with me? My mom says its "evil" that I don't like church. I told her everything I said here, and she said I sound evil. Those words hurt. Am I evil?

I have tried listening to everything our pastor says, I listen intently, I do. I don't just sit there staring off into space. I try, I really do! But no matter what, church just feels like an hour-long lecture.

I used to have problems feeling comfortable in church as well. Not so much anymore. After a few years of struggling with it, I kind of gave up and turned it over to God. But I listened to hours and hours of online sermons, and after a couple of years, I found myself really missing fellowship.

Listening to the sermons helped me understand that part of the reason I was uncomfortable in some churches was because they were not teaching Bible truths but were instead "seeker sensitive" and not very satisfying to my search for truth, so I tend to think that God was making me uncomfortable enough to want to leave.

Listening to the online sermons clarified for me what it was I was supposed to be going to church for and what I should be looking for. God blessed me with a couple of true Christian friends during this time. They didn't press me to attend but today, we spend a lot of time in Bible study and discussion. In a way, I call this time spent as "going to church". They've shown me that we don't have to go to a building and "do" church, but that we ARE the church, where ever we go.

Hey Kayte. Going to church is not a requirement for salvation, and it doesn't win you any "points" with God. But you should ask yourself why feel this way.

I didn't go to church for the first year or so of my Christian life, but God eventually dragged me into it, and now I love it! Granted worship can sometimes be uncomfortable and socializing as awkward as ever, but I believe God brings me there for a reason.

Maybe you aren't going to church now, but one day you might really want to be there! How will you meet other Christians? I know there are ways, but church is the best way!

Back