I feel society is making a big mistake by accusing modern technology to be evil when they don’t consider the people behind them

The article I have above me rubs me the wrong way as it concludes that average people are unskilled and that only certain people can do a certain job, and that technology destroys the “way it should be”. I shake my head because there are people who are homeless and living under poverty that cannot afford education that need to have a job in order to survive. I feel it is derogatory towards the poor as it treats them as lesser than the rich.

(too lazy, didn’t read): just found a bunch of lousy rants from people who hate modern technology in general over their biased hatred over electric vehicles. I feel using these negative reactions towards change is practically ridiculous and biased. I remember my parents (both are boomers) ranting over how they cannot stand electric vehicles, ranging from how oil companies will lose their jobs to how they’re too unappealing and expensive and they won’t work for ****.

This article starts off lightly until it starts lamenting that modern technology is ruining people’s lives and nowadays is conquering the market and lessening society’s decisions. It also demands in order to stay with the times of the good, that consumers should stay away from modern inventions. This in general is a huge step back from how the industrial boom began and how it improved human labor. Sure, there were huge consequences, especially environmentally, but it was a step to where we are today.

In general I cannot bear to hear people whining over how modern technology is evil and that we should go back to traditional ways, no tv, no cars, no telephones, no toilet, I can go on. People will especially use the assumption that modern technology is failing us all to glorify the “great outdoors”. So you’re telling me that nature is a place of freedom and happiness and all the little birdies will sing to you cheerfully, and all the land critters will come by to worship you for no apparent reason, and no predator would want to eat you? Lol, this ain’t a Disney movie! Face it people, nature is nowhere as nice as it’s portrayed to be. Humans and nature don’t mix.

I find it so ridiculous how society is so ingrained by it, that they fail to be grateful for the privileges being offered to them. Honestly, it would be ridiculous to lament over living in the times before the world conquest without considering of its downsides. Most of us in reality would just roll our eyes in disgust and say we’d rather be grateful for what is going on now. Me especially. Why would I want to go back the days where life is all about survival-of-the-fittest, especially since I haven’t lived it? Sure, it happened. But which would I prefer, running for my life in the dark ends of the forest in the middle of the night lost, hungry, and scared, or relaxing comfortably in my lounge chair eating to my heart’s delight? You can see where this is going.

In short, we are blaming the wrong thing for the wrong reason. We fail to realize that behind the piece of technology we are seeing or holding, there were people who made it all happen. We forget the benefits we get from technology. If computers didn’t exist, there’d be no internet. Which is where we are today, and where I’m discussing my thoughts here right now. In other words, while it’s rational to be skeptical over technology, it’s also rational to focus on its benefits. We as a society portray big businesses and companies as liars and betraying us all, when they are people too. We are the product, not the consumer. We are what we make of technology. Choose wisely.

Last edited:
I don't really take much notice of the whole tech thing though we are in a knowledge economy now. There's always a new thing coming out.
Back when machines were starting to become a thing, you had Luddites who were very against them as they feared it would take away their livlihoods.

The industrial age benefited mankind in terms of labour but it also had huge detrimental effects on the environment. I think people aren't used to the pace of change..but we all get swept up in it sooner or later. I welcomed the internet even when I'm a bookworm and love books because it just meant it was easier to find books and read and communicate all over the world.

There are pros and cons to everything. I certainly appreciate things like washing machines and dishwashers, who wants to spend all day washing clothes and dishes???

The thing about technology, is that while it may make things convenient, it doesn't make things better. Just more fun and less boring. Like cell phones and devices, fun and entertaining, but not better for society. Not to mention the effect of 5G on the body. Every technology invented is either unhealthy, damages the planet or causes pollution or harms people's health. Natural is better. Natural may be harder, but it's better in many ways. It's like exercise, it may be hard and sedintary is more comfortable, but it's not healthy. You need exercise and resistance or else muscles will atrophy. There's nothing like the real thing like nature/God intended. I use devices because they exist, but we'd all be better off and more connected to each other and less divisive without them. I think the level of technology we had in the first 50 years of the 20th century is where it should have stopped. That was the sweet spot, after that, it became too much. Plastic should never have been invented, nuclear bombs should never have been invented.

Do you want to live in a stone age culture like the Flintstones??

Actually Maori did have a stone age culture before Europeans arrived. Maori didn't even have pottery, they wove flax baskets. When the Europeans came, they finally had nails, but...they also had 'firesticks' i.e muskets/guns.

This didn't go down well with the tribes that had access to them....

Do you want to live in a stone age culture like the Flintstones??

Actually Maori did have a stone age culture before Europeans arrived. Maori didn't even have pottery, they wove flax baskets. When the Europeans came, they finally had nails, but...they also had 'firesticks' i.e muskets/guns.

This didn't go down well with the tribes that had access to them....
I think technology to a certain point is good, like running water and flushing toilets. Lights and electricity are fine also. :) I think the advanced technology of today is going too far, that we'll be better off without it. Like 5G and AI type technology.
Doesn't have to be 1 or the other, no technology or all technology. A nice happy medium is good. Too much of anything is not good, everything in moderation. Like there's a reason why we don't have flying cars, and it's not because we lack the technology, it's because people can barely drive on the ground let alone in the air! Grounded cars are safer. :) I think we should pick technology that's beneficial and reject technology that's detrimental. Instead, all technology is welcome, just because we CAN do it. Like processed food. Yes we can use chemicals to make dirt taste like good food, but should we do that? No. But they do it anyway. All technology is not bad, it's how it's used. Technology used to control, manipulate, brainwash, trick, spy on and scam people should not exist. Technology for clean, safe drinking water should exist. :) 👍

I think when people talk against technology, they are talking about bad technology (for the environment) or technology used to control and harm people. Not technology like medicine or clean safe drinking water, electricity or flushing toilets. 👍

Some medicine does harm people (too much of it)
I wouldn't really call safe drinking water a 'technology'

Electricity is the wonder of the age really.

Flushing toilets do create some problems...further down the line! composting toilets are a lot better for the environment but we are stuck with flushing toilets like most of us are stuck with a QWERTY keyboard.

Plastic was heralded as the wonder material that would save trees but now we are finding just how harmful it can be.

Am not really a techie though I worked in an Engineering library I wasn't an engineer myself. I'm not that interested in technology, but some people absolutely love their gadgets. Some people just treat them as toys though.

People are worried about electric cars because they are not sure what to do with the dead batteries. I think thats a legit reason to be wary of them because there's no safe way to dispose of them when they reach the end of their life. For a lot of people they aren't economical. But then I recall laptops that exploded and caught fire. and were so clunky that you might as well have just used a desk top computer.

Some churches do run an e-waste drive where you can drop off your old electronic machines that don't work anymore. It's great to have a printer, but ink is so expensive and it dries up quickly and the printer conks out, so its not really worth having a home one. But those 3D printers are pretty amazing.

Also medical profession is heading toward robots performing surgery. A lot of testing is now done by machine, eg x rays, MRIs, sonograms, defibrillators, etc etc.

Some medicine does harm people (too much of it)
I wouldn't really call safe drinking water a 'technology'

Electricity is the wonder of the age really.

Flushing toilets do create some problems...further down the line! composting toilets are a lot better for the environment but we are stuck with flushing toilets like most of us are stuck with a QWERTY keyboard.

Plastic was heralded as the wonder material that would save trees but now we are finding just how harmful it can be.

Am not really a techie though I worked in an Engineering library I wasn't an engineer myself. I'm not that interested in technology, but some people absolutely love their gadgets. Some people just treat them as toys though.

People are worried about electric cars because they are not sure what to do with the dead batteries. I think thats a legit reason to be wary of them because there's no safe way to dispose of them when they reach the end of their life. For a lot of people they aren't economical. But then I recall laptops that exploded and caught fire. and were so clunky that you might as well have just used a desk top computer.

Some churches do run an e-waste drive where you can drop off your old electronic machines that don't work anymore. It's great to have a printer, but ink is so expensive and it dries up quickly and the printer conks out, so its not really worth having a home one. But those 3D printers are pretty amazing.

Also medical profession is heading toward robots performing surgery. A lot of testing is now done by machine, eg x rays, MRIs, sonograms, defibrillators, etc etc.
Yes. Amen. All good points! And yes, even the job of doctors is going towards machines performing it. Doctors don't really learn old fashioned diagnosis and treatment of things, they rely on machines to diagnose and prescription meds. The person comes in, and they just prescribe what the computer says the diagnosis is. So yeah, everything is going towards machines. Very scary. 🙏

Technology itself can be useful but it is what it is used for and who it is used by. Like I have always said guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun itself sitting in a locked box cannot physically wheel itself out, point and pull the trigger. That is sinful nature and carnal flesh that does within each human being. What was the purpose of a gun - to hunt, to protect, to tend to livestock etc. Technology can be useful but it is also a double edged sword. It can be a hinderance, a temptation, control to track and trace, a dependance and full reliance upon instead of God, it can be an idol, it can be used as a backdoor to know all and everything about you and if you don't think the government can't or won't used it - you're wrong. Some people are just that naive and ignorant just how far the rabbit hole goes. If you want me to pull up what exactly technology is coming up with - I can do that. Technology becomes a god. It is so much as that of the movie the matrix that people born into it won't or can't see just how much of an entanglement it is of privacy, our rights and freedoms. My fiance refuses to be a sheep. He refuses to do anything online, he refuses to get the latest car that has a kill switch, he refuses to make excuses to choose it freedom over comfort and convenience [little effort or difficulty]. He is old school. He won't ever do online banking, have an email, or use GPS. He won't ever get a smartphone or anything else.

The problem becomes the abiilty to not be able to function without it. When you actually live in your phone - all your passwords, all your contacts, all your banking, all your information, now they want to do a digital ID for everything in your phone. We need to sit back and think - how is this going to end? You may have pure intentions but the people that controls the internet = controls the world.

If you want I can link some very good biblical solid christian teaching on this very subject but again per forum rules I don't want to risk getting nipped.

I spent a great deal of my life immersed in tech.
I spent 4 years in the military running Pentagon computers.
After my tour, I leveraged my experience in writing code for the military (mostly Command, Control & Communication stuff).
I finished up by supporting the FAA by doing IV&V work on a contract to put weather radar on controllers screens (and provide other weather products).

Computers are designed to promote the interests of large organizations whether that is government or industry. That is not necessarily bad, but is sure does not put the individuals interests first.

I can remember several times when I was asked to select data when the criteria was designed to push a decision maker in one direction or the other. It was the design of the question being asked that led to improper statistics. I was allowed to add a paragraph describing this bias, but I am sure that that did not get transmitted up the chain to the decision makers.

Remember Y2K?? lol
Yep, it cost a bundle though you did not see where the money went. There was a lot of hype there, and there was a good deal of real damage too.

I can remember my wife who worked for the Dept of Commerce telling me how in the years leading up to 2000 they would put bogus info into government databases when it dealt with dates beyond 2000. Like in 1997 when someone's early retirement dates were being put into the database, they would put something like 17 which the computer processed as 1917 rather than 2017 because the computer would accept it. This has created many snarls as peoples real retirement came closer (and the date issue hadn't been fixed). Most of this has been ironed out, but it still comes up from time to time, often in surprising ways.

Technology itself can be useful but it is what it is used for and who it is used by. Like I have always said guns don't kill people, people kill people. A gun itself sitting in a locked box cannot physically wheel itself out, point and pull the trigger. That is sinful nature and carnal flesh that does within each human being. What was the purpose of a gun - to hunt, to protect, to tend to livestock etc. Technology can be useful but it is also a double edged sword. It can be a hinderance, a temptation, control to track and trace, a dependance and full reliance upon instead of God, it can be an idol, it can be used as a backdoor to know all and everything about you and if you don't think the government can't or won't used it - you're wrong. Some people are just that naive and ignorant just how far the rabbit hole goes. If you want me to pull up what exactly technology is coming up with - I can do that. Technology becomes a god. It is so much as that of the movie the matrix that people born into it won't or can't see just how much of an entanglement it is of privacy, our rights and freedoms. My fiance refuses to be a sheep. He refuses to do anything online, he refuses to get the latest car that has a kill switch, he refuses to make excuses to choose it freedom over comfort and convenience [little effort or difficulty]. He is old school. He won't ever do online banking, have an email, or use GPS. He won't ever get a smartphone or anything else.

The problem becomes the abiilty to not be able to function without it. When you actually live in your phone - all your passwords, all your contacts, all your banking, all your information, now they want to do a digital ID for everything in your phone. We need to sit back and think - how is this going to end? You may have pure intentions but the people that controls the internet = controls the world.

If you want I can link some very good biblical solid christian teaching on this very subject but again per forum rules I don't want to risk getting nipped.
Gee, I hate to think how your fiancé would react if he saw you chatting on the internet. It’s funny how many say that technology does all this stuff to restrict one’s rights and freedom yet it’s the people behind them that are to blame. Both good and bad come with everything that exists in the world. For example, it may restrict one’s rights and freedom to a neurotypical person, but as for disabled people like me, it doesn’t become something we are brainwashed into doing to the point of thinking of it as a god, but we use technology to our advantage because it’s easier to do than having to get up and struggle our way through the real world. Some of us are blind, deaf, or physically unable to speak. Some of us are crippled or suffering from rare diseases. Some of us have trouble having decent conversations and thinking skills in order to function in life (I am one of those people).

There’s also plenty of opportunities to get privacy on the internet and have your accounts protected, at least from what I’ve heard of. Have you tried DuckDuckGo? I’ve heard it blocks the government and other hackers from tracking you down.

Gee, I hate to think how your fiancé would react if he saw you chatting on the internet. It’s funny how many say that technology does all this stuff to restrict one’s rights and freedom yet it’s the people behind them that are to blame. Both good and bad come with everything that exists in the world. For example, it may restrict one’s rights and freedom to a neurotypical person, but as for disabled people like me, it doesn’t become something we are brainwashed into doing to the point of thinking of it as a god, but we use technology to our advantage because it’s easier to do than having to get up and struggle our way through the real world. Some of us are blind, deaf, or physically unable to speak. Some of us are crippled or suffering from rare diseases. Some of us have trouble having decent conversations and thinking skills in order to function in life (I am one of those people).

There’s also plenty of opportunities to get privacy on the internet and have your accounts protected, at least from what I’ve heard of. Have you tried DuckDuckGo? I’ve heard it blocks the government and other hackers from tracking you down.
Oh he knows! Lol. There is also quite an age difference and gap. I agree with disability aspect too [I am Deaf as my girls are too and I rely on it for communication, accessibility etc] I totally get it. But that's his belief and I thoroughly respect it. Who am I to tell him to compromise it? Infact my phone broke a few weeks ago and he knew I needed a new one. He made sure it was available to me. We agree/he also knows I have no other resources to do what I need done - whether it is physically in a wheelchair and immobile or Deaf [needing IP relay for Deaf access, text, emails, video chat].

Hello, brothers and sisters;

Back in 1982 I used my first computer at work, a Hewlett Packard with a 12" monochrome monitor. Instead of the "return" key it was an "enter" key. I bought my first cell phone in 1992, a Motorola flip phone and it cost me .90 cents a minute to talk.

As of 2023 there are about 3 to 4 billion people around the world who don't have a computer, cell phone or internet including about 16 - 17 million Americans.

Most of the middle age and seniors that I know still have their land line and old phone - touch tone or rotary.
Believe it. I asked how could they not adapt to technology? They don't miss it, it doesn't cost them and don't have to worry about constant upgrades or evil people who victimize people using technology.

Of course, technology is a blessing for millions of people for managing their lives in all circumstances. It's a fact.

Question is, could I live without technology of a computer, cell phone, wifi and internet? Absolutely. I always have a backup plan;

Hello, brothers and sisters;

Back in 1982 I used my first computer at work, a Hewlett Packard with a 12" monochrome monitor. Instead of the "return" key it was an "enter" key. I bought my first cell phone in 1992, a Motorola flip phone and it cost me .90 cents a minute to talk.

As of 2023 there are about 3 to 4 billion people around the world who don't have a computer, cell phone or internet including about 16 - 17 million Americans.

Most of the middle age and seniors that I know still have their land line and old phone - touch tone or rotary.
Believe it. I asked how could they not adapt to technology? They don't miss it, it doesn't cost them and don't have to worry about constant upgrades or evil people who victimize people using technology.

Of course, technology is a blessing for millions of people for managing their lives in all circumstances. It's a fact.

Question is, could I live without technology of a computer, cell phone, wifi and internet? Absolutely. I always have a backup plan;

I wonder how you can actually have a string that reaches for miles just to communicate with your friends? Lol

The article I have above me rubs me the wrong way as it concludes that average people are unskilled and that only certain people can do a certain job, and that technology destroys the “way it should be”. I shake my head because there are people who are homeless and living under poverty that cannot afford education that need to have a job in order to survive. I feel it is derogatory towards the poor as it treats them as lesser than the rich.

(too lazy, didn’t read): just found a bunch of lousy rants from people who hate modern technology in general over their biased hatred over electric vehicles. I feel using these negative reactions towards change is practically ridiculous and biased. I remember my parents (both are boomers) ranting over how they cannot stand electric vehicles, ranging from how oil companies will lose their jobs to how they’re too unappealing and expensive and they won’t work for ****.

This article starts off lightly until it starts lamenting that modern technology is ruining people’s lives and nowadays is conquering the market and lessening society’s decisions. It also demands in order to stay with the times of the good, that consumers should stay away from modern inventions. This in general is a huge step back from how the industrial boom began and how it improved human labor. Sure, there were huge consequences, especially environmentally, but it was a step to where we are today.

In general I cannot bear to hear people whining over how modern technology is evil and that we should go back to traditional ways, no tv, no cars, no telephones, no toilet, I can go on. People will especially use the assumption that modern technology is failing us all to glorify the “great outdoors”. So you’re telling me that nature is a place of freedom and happiness and all the little birdies will sing to you cheerfully, and all the land critters will come by to worship you for no apparent reason, and no predator would want to eat you? Lol, this ain’t a Disney movie! Face it people, nature is nowhere as nice as it’s portrayed to be. Humans and nature don’t mix.

I find it so ridiculous how society is so ingrained by it, that they fail to be grateful for the privileges being offered to them. Honestly, it would be ridiculous to lament over living in the times before the world conquest without considering of its downsides. Most of us in reality would just roll our eyes in disgust and say we’d rather be grateful for what is going on now. Me especially. Why would I want to go back the days where life is all about survival-of-the-fittest, especially since I haven’t lived it? Sure, it happened. But which would I prefer, running for my life in the dark ends of the forest in the middle of the night lost, hungry, and scared, or relaxing comfortably in my lounge chair eating to my heart’s delight? You can see where this is going.

In short, we are blaming the wrong thing for the wrong reason. We fail to realize that behind the piece of technology we are seeing or holding, there were people who made it all happen. We forget the benefits we get from technology. If computers didn’t exist, there’d be no internet. Which is where we are today, and where I’m discussing my thoughts here right now. In other words, while it’s rational to be skeptical over technology, it’s also rational to focus on its benefits. We as a society portray big businesses and companies as liars and betraying us all, when they are people too. We are the product, not the consumer. We are what we make of technology. Choose wisely.
LUDDITES RULE!😄

saw M3GHAN. Its actually filmed in NZ (but its supposed to be set in America, or Oregan to be precise)
The premise has been around for a while, its about an AI robot child's toy that takes over the parents job and becomes quite nasty.

Shades of The Terminator!
Anyway, I am supposing there can be 'good robots' and 'evil robots' depending on their programmer, and 'good robots' can be corrupted, while 'evil robots' can be saved and redeemed. Robots themselves without any input, are benign I suppose. But then I suppose you can say the same thing about humans.

Maybe the only advantage robots have over humans is they are consistent, they really only binary, while humans have so much variation you might not know what we will get, as we are mostly unique and can't be cloned/massed produced like machines and oh, we also have human emotions. Something robots don't really have...

The disadvantage humans have is maybe we can't be updated easily and we all want to be saved rather than perish and live forever.

Back