I have a question for Americans...

image.jpeg What is the significance/meaning behind the Republican symbol (Elephant) and the Democratic (Donkey)? Is it biblical? spiritual? or just made up symbol to represent both parties?

Not trying to dig at you all :) just interested:D thank you in advance.

This is an excellent question @Melizza; I would like to know the answer to this too.
Sitting patiently in anticipation of the answer... :coffee:

View attachment 2265 What is the significance/meaning behind the Republican symbol (Elephant) and the Democratic (Donkey)? Is it biblical? spiritual? or just made up symbol to represent both parties?

Not trying to dig at you all :) just interested:D thank you in advance.

Fact check says...........
The Democratic donkey was first associated with Democrat Andrew Jackson's 1828 presidential campaign. His opponents called him a jackass (a donkey), and Jackson decided to use the image of the strong-willed animal on his campaign posters. Later, cartoonist Thomas Nast used the Democratic donkey in newspaper cartoons and made the symbol famous.

Nast invented another famous symbol—the Republican elephant. In a cartoon that appeared in Harper's Weekly in 1874, Nast drew a donkey clothed in lion's skin, scaring away all the animals at the zoo. One of those animals, the elephant, was labeled “The Republican Vote.” That's all it took for the elephant to become associated with the Republican Party.

Democrats today say the donkey is smart and brave, while Republicans say the elephant is strong and dignified.

Fact check says...........
The Democratic donkey was first associated with Democrat Andrew Jackson's 1828 presidential campaign. His opponents called him a jackass (a donkey), and Jackson decided to use the image of the strong-willed animal on his campaign posters. Later, cartoonist Thomas Nast used the Democratic donkey in newspaper cartoons and made the symbol famous.

Nast invented another famous symbol—the Republican elephant. In a cartoon that appeared in Harper's Weekly in 1874, Nast drew a donkey clothed in lion's skin, scaring away all the animals at the zoo. One of those animals, the elephant, was labeled “The Republican Vote.” That's all it took for the elephant to become associated with the Republican Party.

Democrats today say the donkey is smart and brave, while Republicans say the elephant is strong and dignified.
Oh nice, thanks for that @Major, very informative :)

I've always wondered how the Elephant and Donkey came to be.

Ben Franklin wanted the national bird to be a turkey! Can you imagine going to war with a turkey on the front of a ship or plane!?

eagle_turkeyseal.gif

Well, I suppose it fits now and again... :p

Back