All who make themselves great will be made humble,
“but those who make themselves humble will be made great.“
Luke 14:11

I nothing. God everything.
I nothing + God everything = something
[Thra Mooler]

Naturally, God Speaks
Web 827.JPG

This is always worthwhile to consider as we go through the day.

Humility and meekness are similar, but different. I often think of them together though. I like these descriptions that can be found in The New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.

Humility

This virtue, a fruit of the gospel, exists when a person through most genuine self-evaluation deems himself worthless. It involves evaluating ourselves as small because we are so. The humble person is not stressing his sinfulness, but his creatureliness, of absolute dependence, of possessing nothing and of receiving all things.

Meekness

Meekness toward God is the disposition of spirit in which we accept his (God’s) dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting. The meek man truly acknowledges himself as a sinner among sinners and this knowledge of his own sin, teaches him to meekly endure the provocations of others and not to withdraw from the burdens their sins may impose on him (Gal 6:1; 2 Tim 2:25; Titus 3:2)

This is always worthwhile to consider as we go through the day.

Humility and meekness are similar, but different. I often think of them together though. I like these descriptions that can be found in The New Strong's Expanded Exhaustive Concordance of the Bible.

Humility

This virtue, a fruit of the gospel, exists when a person through most genuine self-evaluation deems himself worthless. It involves evaluating ourselves as small because we are so. The humble person is not stressing his sinfulness, but his creatureliness, of absolute dependence, of possessing nothing and of receiving all things.

Meekness

Meekness toward God is the disposition of spirit in which we accept his (God’s) dealings with us as good, and therefore without disputing or resisting. The meek man truly acknowledges himself as a sinner among sinners and this knowledge of his own sin, teaches him to meekly endure the provocations of others and not to withdraw from the burdens their sins may impose on him (Gal 6:1; 2 Tim 2:25; Titus 3:2)
Thank you for "fleshing out" your subject through the New Strong's Concordance of the Bible.
Very informative.

A daily Christian devotional says this:
"Meekness" is a humble attitude that expresses itself in the patient endurance of offenses. "Gentleness" is a practical synonym. It implies mercy and self-restraint. Meekness is not weakness. Sometimes we confuse the two. But the difference between a meek person and a weak person is this: a weak person can't do anything. A meek person, on the other hand, can do something but chooses not to.

A daily Christian devotional says this:
"Meekness" is a humble attitude that expresses itself in the patient endurance of offenses. "Gentleness" is a practical synonym. It implies mercy and self-restraint. Meekness is not weakness. Sometimes we confuse the two. But the difference between a meek person and a weak person is this: a weak person can't do anything. A meek person, on the other hand, can do something but chooses not to.

That's a good definition of meekness. Moses was described as very meek in Numbers 12:3, but we know from other scriptures that Moses was not weak.

cp

Back