I Peter 5:6-11

I Peter 5:6-11

Humble yourselves therefore under the mighty hand of God, that He may exalt you in due time. Casting all your care upon him, for He careth for you. Be sober, vigilant because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about seeking whom he may devour. Whom resist steadfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world.

But the God of all grace, who hath called us unto His eternal glory by Christ Jesus, after that ye have suffered a while, make you perfect, stablish, strengthen, settle you. To Him be glory and dominion for ever and ever.

Amen

Verses 6-11 are absolutely beautiful. The Living Bible puts verses 6 and 7 like this : -If you will humble yourselves under the mighty hand of God, in his good time he will lift you up. Let him have all your worries and cares, for he is always thinking about you and watching everything that concerns you.

I suppose there are several things we can learn from those first two verses. (1) We worship a mighty God (2) HE will lift us up and protect us (3) provided we come to Him in humility and put all our cares and worries on him, (4) because he is always thinking about us and watching over us. For which I say, Thank you Lord.

Let us continue with 1 Peter 5 shall we, and look at verses 8 and 9.

Be sober, be vigilant; because your adversary the devil, as a roaring lion, walketh about, seeking whom he may devour: Whom resist stedfast in the faith, knowing that the same afflictions are accomplished in your brethren that are in the world. (1 Peter 5:8-9 KJV)

I realize how active the adversary is as I get older, even on the Christian forums people voice objections to all things Christian, while identifying themselves as a Christian. Their lies can be very subtle and difficult to counter, as they are not for turning. We must not let the serpent who sometimes disguises himself as an angel of light, devour us.

Verse 9 tells us not to surrender to Satan’s fury. Rather resist him through prayer, God’s word and fellowship with other Christians who can help and support those in distress. Although we may not have strength ourselves to oppose the devil, we can “Trust in the LORD with all our heart; and he shall direct our paths. Peter reminds us that fellow Christians throughout the world experience the same sufferings. So let us patiently trust in Him for evermore, because, “When we pass through the waters, He will be with us. The rivers, shall not overwhelm us and when we walk through fire, we shall not be burned. For I am the LORD, your God, the Holy One of Israel, your Savior.” (The pre-incarnate Jesus.) Praise His Holy name.

Last edited:
Back