I'll Be Glad To Help

Chances are you have, at some point, had someone outside of family need or ask for help. Sometimes that mental debate of 'should I help, how much, what will they use it for, etc.' arises. So what do we do in those situations and if we choose to assist them in a material way what do we do in a situation of created dependency? What does the Bible say about being charitable and how we should do it?

A very good question. I look forward to hearing your take on it.

cp
Well, let me provide some Scripture first to get going on this (all NASB):

• Luke 6: 38 -- "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”

• Proverbs 19:17 -- "One who is gracious to a poor person lends to the Lord, And He will repay him for his good deed."

• Proverbs 22:9 -- "One who is generous will be blessed, Because he gives some of his food to the poor."

• Proverbs 14:31 -- "One who oppresses the poor taunts his Maker, But one who is gracious to the needy honors Him."

• Deuteronomy 15:11 -- "For the poor will not cease to exist in the land; therefore I am commanding you, saying, ‘You shall fully open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.’"
And on, and on, and on. There are at least 100 verses about helping the poor. Christian giving is a form of worship to God as He has instructed. We should also be tithing as per the instructions to the Corinthians and Galatians (I Cor. 16:1-2). However, we should examine our hearts and consider if our tithing and giving is prompted by a righteous inclination or to be celebrated and praised by others. No matter what you can't out-give God.

PLEASE KEEP READING
The Bible warns, in Matthew 6, to not do as the Pharisees did and do good works for others to see but do it quietly and your reward will be in Heaven but if you give for others to see their praise is all the reward you get. So far it sounds like we should go to a homeless shelter and dump our life savings at the door, huh?

Nope. There are limits to our giving. II Thessalonians 3:10-12 reads, "For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. Now we command and exhort such persons in the Lord Jesus Christ to work peacefully and eat their own bread."

Therefore, when giving we should recognize the following:

1. It should be done with a Godly and sacrificial intention,
  2. It should be done by the urging of both Indwelling urge and God's Word,
  3. It should not be done to the hurt of your family or if you reasonably know that it will be used for ungodliness,
Be mindful that tithing is NT guidance and we can't out-give God.

What do you think, everyone?

CPerkins

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Dec 5, 2020
Seattle, WA
I struggle with this at times because I would love to give more help to those that are struggling. Giving money though is not always the answer and sometimes contributes to the problems people are already having. It does no good if the money is spent on drugs or alcohol.

I'm more inclined to volunteer in a soup kitchen or other volunteer activity that helps known needs. Also visiting those who are shut-in and lonely.

The world has come up with ingenious ways of oppressing the poor and otherwise disadvantaged. Satan has also found many ways to disguise the wealthy that pretend to help the poor and sometimes even pretend to be poor. It saddens me when you hear incidents were generous people donated for food or other causes to find out like in Sudan the food didn't get to the ones in need.

It's in this environment we still seek to do good rather than harm. Discretion is necessary.

So I look for ways how to best help and give. I know though that God presents opportunities at times which we can act on, God also is the sources for resources to aid in that help.

cp

Jan 14, 2021
Watsonville, CA
I struggle with this at times because I would love to give more help to those that are struggling. Giving money though is not always the answer and sometimes contributes to the problems people are already having. It does no good if the money is spent on drugs or alcohol.

I'm more inclined to volunteer in a soup kitchen or other volunteer activity that helps known needs. Also visiting those who are shut-in and lonely.

The world has come up with ingenious ways of oppressing the poor and otherwise disadvantaged. Satan has also found many ways to disguise the wealthy that pretend to help the poor and sometimes even pretend to be poor. It saddens me when you hear incidents were generous people donated for food or other causes to find out like in Sudan the food didn't get to the ones in need.

It's in this environment we still seek to do good rather than harm. Discretion is necessary.

So I look for ways how to best help and give. I know though that God presents opportunities at times which we can act on, God also is the sources for resources to aid in that help.

cp
So true. I am not often able to donate money and can't volunteer often as I can't leave hubby alone. Have to trust in Prayer to give back to those in need.

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Feb 15, 2010
Daly City, California
www.livingstoneministries.com

• Luke 6: 38 -- "Give, and it will be given to you. They will pour into your lap a good measure—pressed down, shaken together, and running over. For by your standard of measure it will be measured to you in return.”

• Proverbs 19:17 -- "One who is gracious to a poor person lends to the Lord, And He will repay him for his good deed."

• Proverbs 22:9 -- "One who is generous will be blessed, Because he gives some of his food to the poor."

• Proverbs 14:31 -- "One who oppresses the poor taunts his Maker, But one who is gracious to the needy honors Him."

• Deuteronomy 15:11 -- "For the poor will not cease to exist in the land; therefore I am commanding you, saying, ‘You shall fully open your hand to your brother, to your needy and poor in your land.’"
And on, and on, and on. There are at least 100 verses about helping the poor. Christian giving is a form of worship to God as He has instructed. We should also be tithing as per the instructions to the Corinthians and Galatians (I Cor. 16:1-2). However, we should examine our hearts and consider if our tithing and giving is prompted by a righteous inclination or to be celebrated and praised by others. No matter what you can't out-give God.

PLEASE KEEP READING
The Bible warns, in Matthew 6, to not do as the Pharisees did and do good works for others to see but do it quietly and your reward will be in Heaven but if you give for others to see their praise is all the reward you get. So far it sounds like we should go to a homeless shelter and dump our life savings at the door, huh?

Nope. There are limits to our giving. II Thessalonians 3:10-12 reads,
"For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. Now we command and exhort such persons in the Lord Jesus Christ to work peacefully and eat their own bread."

3. It should not be done to the hurt of your family or if you reasonably know that it will be used for ungodliness,

Hello Sam;

Thank you for an excellent post! By studying these Scriptures it teaches to give ourselves sacrificially while staying within our boundaries. God understands our capacities, it's our heart He searches.

God bless you, brother and your family.

Feb 10, 2015
Maryland
Great list of scriptures, to which I would add Matthew 25:31-46

31 “But when the Son of Man comes in His glory, and all the angels with Him, then He will sit on His glorious throne.

32 All the nations will be gathered before Him; and He will separate them from one another, as the shepherd separates the sheep from the goats;
33 and He will put the sheep on His right, and the goats on the left.

34 “Then the King will say to those on His right, ‘Come, you who are blessed of My Father, inherit the kingdom prepared for you from the foundation of the world.

35 For I was hungry, and you gave Me something to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me something to drink; I was a stranger, and you invited Me in;
36 naked, and you clothed Me; I was sick, and you visited Me; I was in prison, and you came to Me.’

37 Then the righteous will answer Him, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, and feed You, or thirsty, and give You something to drink?
38 And when did we see You a stranger, and invite You in, or naked, and clothe You?
39 When did we see You sick, or in prison, and come to You?’

40 The King will answer and say to them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did it to one of these brothers of Mine, even the least of them, you did it to Me.’

41 “Then He will also say to those on His left, ‘Depart from Me, accursed ones, into the eternal fire which has been prepared for the devil and his angels;

42 for I was hungry, and you gave Me nothing to eat; I was thirsty, and you gave Me nothing to drink;
43 I was a stranger, and you did not invite Me in; naked, and you did not clothe Me; sick, and in prison, and you did not visit Me.’

44 Then they themselves also will answer, ‘Lord, when did we see You hungry, or thirsty, or a stranger, or naked, or sick, or in prison, and did not take care of You?’
45 Then He will answer them, ‘Truly I say to you, to the extent that you did not do it to one of the least of these, you did not do it to Me.’
46 These will go away into eternal punishment, but the righteous into eternal life.”

Matthew 25:31-46 (NASB)

Giving of Time, Talent and Treasure keeps ones eyes on service and off of self.

In today's world, time is often the hardest thing to give. But giving of ones time will often make such giving habitual and make giving a large part of our putting faith into action.

We all have a unique blending of abilities. We should put those unique abilities before God for His use.

Our Treasure (often money, but also other things we have) was given to us in trust, both for our own needs and for the needs of others.

A giving heart keeps our eyes on others (and away from our selfish desires).

Jan 18, 2021
Milw. Wisconsin.

PLEASE KEEP READING

Nope. There are limits to our giving. II Thessalonians 3:10-12 reads,
"For even when we were with you, we used to give you this order: if anyone is not willing to work, then he is not to eat, either. For we hear that some among you are leading an undisciplined life, doing no work at all, but acting like busybodies. Now we command and exhort such persons in the Lord Jesus Christ to work peacefully and eat their own bread."

Interesting. . it would seem. .For by our own standard of measure it will be measured to us in return.” two walking together as if one. In that way he does not want our desires in part 10 % he works with us in whole, giving us His desire and power to perform .

Reminded me of Mathew 6 .God working in us with us giving us his loving desires

Mathew 6:1-12 Take heed that ye do not your alms before men, to be seen of them: otherwise ye have no reward of your Father which is in heaven.Therefore when thou doest thine alms, do not sound a trumpet before thee, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may have glory of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But when thou doest alms, let not thy left hand know what thy right hand doeth: That thine alms may be in secret: and thy Father which seeth in secret himself shall reward thee openly.
And when thou prayest, thou shalt not be as the hypocrites are: for they love to pray standing in the synagogues and in the corners of the streets, that they may be seen of men. Verily I say unto you, They have their reward. But thou, when thou prayest, enter into thy closet, and when thou hast shut thy door, pray to thy Father which is in secret; and thy Father which seeth in secret shall reward thee openly. But when ye pray, use not vain repetitions, as the heathen do: for they think that they shall be heard for their much speaking. Be not ye therefore like unto them: for your Father knoweth what things ye have need of, before ye ask him. After this manner therefore pray ye: Our Father which art in heaven, Hallowed be thy name. Thy kingdom come, Thy will be done in earth, as it is in heaven. Give us this day our daily bread. And forgive us our debts, as we forgive our debtors.

As he rewards us. . . by that work or labor of His love working in us we can measure and look for a increase of his power,. We should live at peace with God and man depending on our measure of faith our personal understanding. . . His work in us.

Romans 12:17 KJ Recompense to no man evil for evil. Provide things honest in the sight of all men. If it be possible, as much as lieth in you, live peaceably with all men. Dearly beloved, avenge not yourselves, but rather give place unto wrath: for it is written, Vengeance is mine; I will repay, saith the Lord.

Dec 8, 2015
Chances are you have, at some point, had someone outside of family need or ask for help. Sometimes that mental debate of 'should I help, how much, what will they use it for, etc.' arises. So what do we do in those situations and if we choose to assist them in a material way what do we do in a situation of created dependency? What does the Bible say about being charitable and how we should do it?
This is an important question..
This is an hard question ...
This question is diverted the Christian world ...
few people may say let us do some charity work by helping to victims or suffering people
Jesus said... Poor people are always with you ... let her to prepare my body..................
Mar 14:7 For ye have the poor with you always, and whensoever ye will ye may do them good: but me ye have not always.
Mar 14:8 She hath done what she could: she is come aforehand to anoint my body to the burying
I am glad to say................. Right charity work is different..
i started my charity works in 1988 when i was 26y old
I did many charity works ,,, to widows, orphan kids, handicapped, old age people and few others
but it is never ended ,,, while time is passing God is revealed a fact to me
there is spiritual poverty, and physcical poverty,,
We need to do our service to seek spiritual matters..

Wheh Moses saw the burdens of Israel, he deeply filled with the burden to resque them from bondage..
When Jesus saw the people who are not with shepherd ......
They both dedicated themselves to give their lives to liberate them
MOses went to Liberated them from bondage of Egypt
Jesus went to CAlvary to libert the human kind

A true burden of charity seeks the soul liberation,,
if you feed some person with charity, if you don't seek their soul matters,
what is the use for it?
I have raised an orphan in my home but he is not born again... he went to live in world..
I have raised few others by giving clear gospel to liberate them from sin .. now they are doing well.

so i am glad to say ,,... charity for soul liberation is very good,,
That;s why we need to seek the spiritual charity matters,,

blessings ..