I'll Believe It When I See It

At some point in our lives we have probably used this phrase to indicate our disbelief of something unbelievable. Human nature hasn't changed and there are numerous examples of unbelief throughout the Bible. John 9:18 (NASB) says, "The Jews then did not believe it about him, that he had been blind and had received sight, until they called the parents of the very one who had received his sight". They could not believe that a person who had been blind his whole life could suddenly see. So they sought someone who could verify that, in fact, this person wasn't just an actor who was meant to boost celebrity to this Jesus man.

Genesis 19:14 (NASB) says, "So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, and said, 'Up, get out of this place, for the Lord is destroying the city.' But he appeared to his sons-in-law to be joking". Lots relatives refused an opportunity of grace by being a scoffer and they paid the penalty for their disbelief. Their hearts were hardened to truth by their love of the world.

Luke 16:31 (NASB) says, "But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead'". If you have been in ministry or service to Christ for some time you have surely came into contact with someone who needed assistance, financial or otherwise, and they were just certain and swore 'oh, if God will get me out of this one I will believe'. After help, though, they return to their way of life. If a person won't believe God's Words it doesn't matter what He does in their life if they refuse the truth. Their hearts are hardened and they only want to rectify the discomfort in their lives so they can go back to enjoying their way of life.

Hebrews 3:15-19 (NASB), while it is said, 'Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts, as when they provoked Me.' For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses? And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose dead bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? And so we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief".

Do not refuse the truth of God's Word, the Bible, because it is true. You will not believe just because you see lightening from Heaven. You would be impressed, sure, but you love the world and the Light is not in you who refuse the Word of God. Repentance is for the unbeliever and you must repent and turn from wickedness.

At some point in our lives we have probably used this phrase to indicate our disbelief of something unbelievable. Human nature hasn't changed and there are numerous examples of unbelief throughout the Bible. John 9:18 (NASB) says, "The Jews then did not believe it about him, that he had been blind and had received sight, until they called the parents of the very one who had received his sight". They could not believe that a person who had been blind his whole life could suddenly see. So they sought someone who could verify that, in fact, this person wasn't just an actor who was meant to boost celebrity to this Jesus man.

Genesis 19:14 (NASB) says, "So Lot went out and spoke to his sons-in-law, who were to marry his daughters, and said, 'Up, get out of this place, for the Lord is destroying the city.' But he appeared to his sons-in-law to be joking". Lots relatives refused an opportunity of grace by being a scoffer and they paid the penalty for their disbelief. Their hearts were hardened to truth by their love of the world.

Luke 16:31 (NASB) says, "But he said to him, ‘If they do not listen to Moses and the Prophets, they will not be persuaded even if someone rises from the dead'". If you have been in ministry or service to Christ for some time you have surely came into contact with someone who needed assistance, financial or otherwise, and they were just certain and swore 'oh, if God will get me out of this one I will believe'. After help, though, they return to their way of life. If a person won't believe God's Words it doesn't matter what He does in their life if they refuse the truth. Their hearts are hardened and they only want to rectify the discomfort in their lives so they can go back to enjoying their way of life.

Hebrews 3:15-19 (NASB), while it is said, 'Today if you hear His voice, Do not harden your hearts, as when they provoked Me.' For who provoked Him when they had heard? Indeed, did not all those who came out of Egypt led by Moses? And with whom was He angry for forty years? Was it not with those who sinned, whose dead bodies fell in the wilderness? And to whom did He swear that they would not enter His rest, but to those who were disobedient? And so we see that they were not able to enter because of unbelief".

Do not refuse the truth of God's Word, the Bible, because it is true. You will not believe just because you see lightening from Heaven. You would be impressed, sure, but you love the world and the Light is not in you who refuse the Word of God. Repentance is for the unbeliever and you must repent and turn from wickedness.

I think it would be helpful to remember that there has never been a race of people who SAW more miracles from God than the people who came out of Egypt.

They SAW God defeat the gods of Egypt 10 times. They SAW the glory of God in a cloud by day. They SAW His glory by fire at night.
They SAW water come out of a rock....twice.
They SAW food come down from heaven to feed them.
They SAW the Red Sea parted.

But they had not gone out of sight from the cities of Egypt before they doubted God and begged Moses to go back to Egypt.

If anyone should have proved that SEEING miracles lead to faith, it was that group of people!

I think it would be helpful to remember that there has never been a race of people who SAW more miracles from God than the people who came out of Egypt.

They SAW God defeat the gods of Egypt 10 times. They SAW the glory of God in a cloud by day. They SAW His glory by fire at night.

But they had not gone out of sight from the cities of Egypt before they doubted God and begged Moses to go back to Egypt.

If anyone should have proved that SEEING miracles lead to faith, it was that group of people!
And still waiting for their Messiah. God could not have been a better nation to represent our nature.

And the Pharisees, who saw the miracles of jesus and said that he was possessed by Satan!

Back