Illustrations

A couple I enjoyed.
The minister calls a young man to the platform.
Says 'what is your name ' said Johny what is your father's name said Mr. Jones.
Then he says fall to to platform - which he does. Said do it again so the fellow does it for a second time. Then the preacher says - what is your name to which the young fellow replied Johny - says - are you sure - yes - what is your father's name? 'Mr. Jones are you sure - yes...

It doesn't matter how often we fall it doesn't change anything.

#2. Preacher call a little 4/5 year old to the platform then he calls up a grown teenager, a young fellow who has got it together and he know what he can do. The preacher stands them toe to toe and says at the count of 5 I want you two to have at it. Says 5 - 4 - and out walks this big man (reminds me of a farmer) he has mits like a rock arms like a tree trunk and shoulders like a barndoor. He walks over and put his hands on that little fellows shoulders. We that little fellow felt as safe as can be because that is 'MY DAD'. There ain't anything going to hurt that little fellow because it is 'MY DAD".
If that us true naturly how much more spiritually. Our father cannot be defeated.

#1 went right over my head..2 times. Maybe if I fall, will that help?
Lol I guess I failed to provide some background info.
I think eternal security is one of the disallowed subjects. The illustration lays in that direction. Let me qualify, I believe in eternal security but only if the individual has been 'sealed unto the day of their redemption'.
Many of the young Christians wrestle with the concept that they have failed away their day of redemption. This illustration was to encourage them to press on. If our hearts are right God does not see our failings, He looks at the sacrifice. In the O.T. the priest did not examine the giver he examined the sacrifice.

A couple I enjoyed.
The minister calls a young man to the platform.
Says 'what is your name ' said Johny what is your father's name said Mr. Jones.
Then he says fall to to platform - which he does. Said do it again so the fellow does it for a second time. Then the preacher says - what is your name to which the young fellow replied Johny - says - are you sure - yes - what is your father's name? 'Mr. Jones are you sure - yes...

It doesn't matter how often we fall it doesn't change anything.

#2. Preacher call a little 4/5 year old to the platform then he calls up a grown teenager, a young fellow who has got it together and he know what he can do. The preacher stands them toe to toe and says at the count of 5 I want you two to have at it. Says 5 - 4 - and out walks this big man (reminds me of a farmer) he has mits like a rock arms like a tree trunk and shoulders like a barndoor. He walks over and put his hands on that little fellows shoulders. We that little fellow felt as safe as can be because that is 'MY DAD'. There ain't anything going to hurt that little fellow because it is 'MY DAD".
If that us true naturly how much more spiritually. Our father cannot be defeated.
Faith crisis (aka Calvinist Crisis) is common to all Christians at some point. It is during this crisis that we learn the significance of our relationship with God and we begin the journey toward spiritual maturity. If you haven't experienced the crisis, you will. Anyone who never has the experience needs to determine whether they have a real relationship with God. If you want to read a good first person account of this experience read John Bunyan's autobiography.

Back