In the beginning was the... Bible?

In the beginning was the... Bible? o_O

...huh... Let me just insert that in a very famous verse.

In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God. The Bible was with God in the beginning. Through the Bible all things were made, and without the Bible nothing was made that has been made...

Wait a minute... I thought this passage John is writing is specifically directed towards Jesus, even as he continues in verse 14:

The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Not:

The Bible became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth?

Why does the majority of professing Christians (and non-Christians as well) always refer to the Bible as the Word of God? I thought that name is specifically for Jesus and is established even further in Revelation 19:11-13:

Then I saw heaven standing open, and there before me was a white horse. And its rider is called Faithful and True. With righteousness He judges and wages war. He has eyes like blazing fire, and many royal crowns on His head. He has a name written on Him that only He Himself knows. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and His name is The Word of God.

I mean, what would that even look like if the Bible was the Word of God and not Jesus...?

The Book on the White Horse.jpg

Wake up people and listen to the lamb!

Start at the Word of God's Sermon on the Mountain in Matthew 5, 6, & 7.

In the beginning was the Bible, and the Bible was with God, and the Bible was God. The Bible was with God in the beginning. Through the Bible all things were made, and without the Bible nothing was made that has been made...

Wait a minute... I thought this passage John is writing is specifically directed towards Jesus, even as he continues in verse 14:

The Word became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth.

Not:

The Bible became flesh and made His dwelling among us. We have seen His glory, the glory of the one and only Son from the Father, full of grace and truth?

Why does the majority of professing Christians (and non-Christians as well) always refer to the Bible as the Word of God? I thought that name is specifically for Jesus and is established even further in Revelation 19:11-13:

Then I saw heaven standing open, and there before me was a white horse. And its rider is called Faithful and True. With righteousness He judges and wages war. He has eyes like blazing fire, and many royal crowns on His head. He has a name written on Him that only He Himself knows. He is dressed in a robe dipped in blood, and His name is The Word of God.

I mean, what would that even look like if the Bible was the Word of God and not Jesus...?

View attachment 4104

Wake up people and listen to the lamb!

Start at the Word of God's Sermon on the Mountain in Matthew 5, 6, & 7.

I understand your concern but may I say to you that it is just a little misplaced.

The phrase
word of God” means more than the printed words on a page. God is a communicator and has been speaking into the human realm since the beginning. He speaks through His creation, through ancient prophets, through the Holy Spirit, through Scripture , and through the Person of His Son, Jesus Christ.

We can learn to know God better by seeking to hear Him in every way that He speaks but in these last days He has spoken to us in His dear SON!

Just as Jesus Christ is the revelation of God the Father, the Bible is the revelation of God the Son so that there are in fact one and the same.

With just a little study we see that Jesus Christ is the Word of God and He actually gave the Word of God to the prophets. He was also the one who gave the law to Moses and HE will be the one riding on that white horse but again when we look at that specific Scripture we see that proceeding out of His mouth is the Word of God which is a two edged sword.

Rev. 19:15...…...
"Coming out of his mouth is a sharp sword with which to strike down the nations. "

Jesus will end this dispensation just as He Created all things and that is with the power of His Spoken Word!!!!

Let's examine this concept.

John 1:1 In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God.
2 The same was in the beginning with God.

Is that correct? I go through the bible and find that everything God did He did by speaking it. So yes, in the beginning was the word. Then John goes on with a bit of flowery phraseology. Humans like to say "He was as good as his word." Well, Our God is better than that, He is His word.

So what's a word? We have the spoken word, but that is not God. We have the written word, but that is not God. A word can be sent by a servant, which John calls "the word made flesh." You are not justified to say that word was God when the other two were not. Sorry, that claim is out of context. This notion that the bible is/was God is just silly.

You only need five books to study the bible:
1. A King James bible. Other versions are ok, but all the reference materials are keyed to the KJV.
2. An English dictionary.
3. An Interlinear Greek-English Translation Of The New Testament, any brand.
4. An exhaustive concordance. There are several brands, but everybody seems to use Strong's. I like Young's because it is easier to use.
5. A Hebrew lexicon, if you study the old testament.

A bible atlas will also be helpful, but you can get along without it. A book that is very good for getting started is "How To Enjoy The Bible" by E. W. Bullinger. It's available for free download and you can get a hard copy at any bible book store.
www.google.com/search?q=e+w+bullinger+how+to+enjoy+the+bible

I appreciate your concern. Most statements of faith list the Bible as the first item. We know that God and Jesus' sacrifice should precede that. The reason most put the Bible first, in my opinion, is that from a human reason point of view, we learn about God by reading the Bible.

I appreciate your concern. Most statements of faith list the Bible as the first item. We know that God and Jesus' sacrifice should precede that. The reason most put the Bible first, in my opinion, is that from a human reason point of view, we learn about God by reading the Bible.

I like your post. I would add however that if we did not read the Bible first, how would we know about the deeper things of God.

Romans 10:17 says that...………..
"Faith comes by hearing, and hearing by the WORD of God".

When we read the book of Romans we can see that there are certain things we can know about God from general revelation. Without Scripture people can know about God’s power and divine nature by examining creation which is seen in Romans 1:20.

We can also know God’s law because it is written on their hearts as told to us in Romans 2:13-15.

However, there is a vast difference between knowing about God and personally knowing God. Everyone knows about God, which is why you are without excuse if you reject Him, but only a fraction personally knows Him. The Bible is the foundational truth that teaches the history of the universe, the origin of sin, the reason for death, morality, and so on.

So then, apart from God’s Word, mankind would never learn the all-important message of salvation through our Lord Jesus Christ.

Well people know what you mean when you talk about the Bible in general. If you just said the Word well it could be any word. The Bible is just Gods Word written down.

Another name people use and I tend to use to be more specific is scripture.

As for Jesus being Gods word yes everything God wants us to know is spoken through his son Jesus. He sent many other prophets before Jesus to speak to His people, but in these last times he's spoken to us through his son. Why because by no other name are we saved.

We cant be saved through Moses, even though Moses did a wonderful work leading the israelite out of egypt. We cant be saved through ezekiel, or isaiah or Job or Ruth or even John the baptist. We can only be saved by Jesus.

I can write more about this, but dont want to confuse everyone! Thats why I encourage you to read the Bible! After all Jesus read it and he said man cant live by bread alone but by every word that comes out of the mouth of God. And Jesus was quoting from the Bible in Deuteronomy.

Back