Inheritance

Was thinking about this and want to start this topic. Some of us have aging parents who are of retirement age. Actually a lot of us do.
What exactly happens when our parents die, or one of them is widowed?

I dont live on a farm, but here is what can happen in nz. https://teara.govt.nz/en/inheritance/page-5
My mum was saying that my sisters friends family whos parents died had to sell off the family home because they just couldnt afford to live there. So how does anyone these days keep the family home? Do they have to buy it off the parents? Or the bank? Who values the land? So what happened was the property got sold and the money divided equally between each child. Nobody I know these days ever lives in the land their parents had...today people are busy buying and selling it off. I dont understand homelessness, but its a real problem that people are being left destitute, with no home, no land, and no livelihood for the next generation. Why?

When Jesus died he basically beforehand made a will. He left his inheritance to us, his spiritual successors. My understanding is it is a gift. We dont have to buy it off Him. It is riches but its not monetary value, the price is above rubies. It is a place in heaven in His presence.

Another issue has been daughters. In britain it was the land only got given to the firstborn son as an inheritance. In some countries like China, that is also the tradition. But what happens to the daughters?

In the book of Numbers, there was a family of just daughters, five of them. They petitioned Moses about their inheritance.

Why did Jesus say the meek shall inherit the earth? When people today talk about inheritance, they might say they had one and you find out they actually didnt inherit anything at all because their land got sold so all they have is money.

Another God-incidence, Lanolin. Only yesterday I printed out and gave the latest data on my Assets to my two Executor children. I was able to help when they obtained probate for my Wife's Will, four years ago, but that was different, as her half of the house had to be sold to let the three children share her half. Now, although I've had a big bequest from a friend, I've given all that away, and the settling of my Estate will be so much easier.
As for the daughters' rights in inheritance, there were four sisters when my Grandmother was young, and when she was the only one who got married, all the estate went to the other three, none of whom got married, and went round the world twice on their inheritance.
I do believe there is some strict pecking order for the inclusion of adopted children, but it's wonderful that as adopted children of God the Father, we are counted as equals, and are so blessed. What is different in different countries sometimes complicates things, but not among God's children. He loves us all.
Praises and heart-felt thanks that we don't need to apply for probate. We just need to read the details in the Bible, and act on them.

Another God-incidence, Lanolin. Only yesterday I printed out and gave the latest data on my Assets to my two Executor children. I was able to help when they obtained probate for my Wife's Will, four years ago, but that was different, as her half of the house had to be sold to let the three children share her half. Now, although I've had a big bequest from a friend, I've given all that away, and the settling of my Estate will be so much easier.
As for the daughters' rights in inheritance, there were four sisters when my Grandmother was young, and when she was the only one who got married, all the estate went to the other three, none of whom got married, and went round the world twice on their inheritance.
I do believe there is some strict pecking order for the inclusion of adopted children, but it's wonderful that as adopted children of God the Father, we are counted as equals, and are so blessed. What is different in different countries sometimes complicates things, but not among God's children. He loves us all.
Praises and heart-felt thanks that we don't need to apply for probate. We just need to read the details in the Bible, and act on them.
I think inheritance for unmarried daughters is because married daughters actually are meant to be provided for (a home, land) by their husbands since they share.

I know some parents keep pushing for daughters to get married so that they don't have to provide for them anymore, they become part of the in-laws family. But this day an age some mothers push for their daughters to buy their own property, and so if they actually have their own they don't really need any inheritance.

Some parents don't make any provision for their children at all, at 18 they get kicked out of home. However this isn't the way God operates. We will always be His children no matter how old we are, plus He prepares a place for us. And in heaven, there is no arguing about where to live because in His house there are many mansions --- I'm sure there's plenty of rooms to go round.

God also says the first shall be last and the last shall be first..so He does have an order to things that is totally just.

Ok thinking further on this topic. GOd promised land to the descendants of Abraham. It was to be their inheritance. They didnt have to buy this land off God. It was a gift, but they had to claim it. And canaanites were already lving there at the time but God said He would drive them out. Actually the israelites didnt even have to fight them if they simply obeyed God in the first place. Well anyway after much struggle and adventures the israelites had their land. It was a land flowing with milk and honey. Prime real estate! It was divided up so each tribe would have an area. No more egyptian slavery!

The israelites couldnt automatically assume they had this land and just disobey God and still keep it though. This is where the Bible gets sad, where its tragic. Theres a whole book of lamentations when they lost their land and were exiled and foreigners took over. Why, well the israelites didnt always obey God. They compromised and sold land and made treaties with their enemies.

I think about land speculators these days who look at land as just a way to make a buck. They sit on it for years and then sell it when the price is high and make a profit. Now ok you can do that but would you do that with a gift? Isnt that showing disrespect to the giver. The gift is given for you and your generations to enjoy as a birthright and you just sell it off to buy, I dont know, some stew that can only fill your belly once?

We used to have this game show called 'the money or the bag' in nz. You would answer some questions and you could choose the money or the bag. If you chose money you got to keep the money but you could choose the bag which you didnt know what was inside but it was all sorts of prizes you could keep. Sometimes it was a booby prize but they were all specially chosen gifts and all has surprises inside. Maybe the value wasnt the same as the money but it could be more or less, it was usually more than the money. After you chose you couldnt change your mind and sell off your bag, or if you chose money you couldnt buy the bag. It was one or the other.

Back