Instituted By God

'Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. '

Romans 13:1-7

https://www.bible.com/bible/111/ROM.13.1-7

Every governing authority is instituted by God, therefore whenever we rebel against the law, we are rebelling against God. This includes highway laws, public conduct laws, respecting rights, etc. All laws are in place to keep everyone safe, and all authority is to be respected. When we follow the rules, deeming them all as important, we will be commended and will keep a clear conscience. If we disobey the law, then we are held accountable by God and the law. Sometimes we unintentionally break a law, for example when we miss a speed limit sign, but we should always be careful to follow the law. I remember a time recently when I was listening to the book of Romans while driving and right after I heard this verse, I looked at my speedometer and realized that I needed to slow down. Thank you, Lord, for bringing that to my attention!! As soon as we realize that we have messed up, we should fix it, but it is crucial to pay attention to avoid making those mistakes to begin with. Sometimes I wish our vehicles had a built-in sensor to tell us what the speed limit is because there are times when we are not sure until we drive for a while. Hey…that sounds like a good invention that would make someone rich!! As believers, we are expected to be law-abiding citizens who respect authority.

'Let everyone be subject to the governing authorities, for there is no authority except that which God has established. The authorities that exist have been established by God. Consequently, whoever rebels against the authority is rebelling against what God has instituted, and those who do so will bring judgment on themselves. For rulers hold no terror for those who do right, but for those who do wrong. Do you want to be free from fear of the one in authority? Then do what is right and you will be commended. For the one in authority is God’s servant for your good. But if you do wrong, be afraid, for rulers do not bear the sword for no reason. They are God’s servants, agents of wrath to bring punishment on the wrongdoer. Therefore, it is necessary to submit to the authorities, not only because of possible punishment but also as a matter of conscience. This is also why you pay taxes, for the authorities are God’s servants, who give their full time to governing. Give to everyone what you owe them: If you owe taxes, pay taxes; if revenue, then revenue; if respect, then respect; if honor, then honor. '

https://www.bible.com/bible/111/ROM.13.1-7

Every governing authority is instituted by God, therefore whenever we rebel against the law, we are rebelling against God. This includes highway laws, public conduct laws, respecting rights, etc. All laws are in place to keep everyone safe, and all authority is to be respected. When we follow the rules, deeming them all as important, we will be commended and will keep a clear conscience. If we disobey the law, then we are held accountable by God and the law. Sometimes we unintentionally break a law, for example when we miss a speed limit sign, but we should always be careful to follow the law. I remember a time recently when I was listening to the book of Romans while driving and right after I heard this verse, I looked at my speedometer and realized that I needed to slow down. Thank you, Lord, for bringing that to my attention!! As soon as we realize that we have messed up, we should fix it, but it is crucial to pay attention to avoid making those mistakes to begin with. Sometimes I wish our vehicles had a built-in sensor to tell us what the speed limit is because there are times when we are not sure until we drive for a while. Hey…that sounds like a good invention that would make someone rich!! As believers, we are expected to be law-abiding citizens who respect authority.
The exception to this legal obedience principle is when human law conflicts with divine law such as the Nazi laws that required citizens to report to the Gestapo any Jews that were hiding.

Every governing authority is instituted by God, therefore whenever we rebel against the law, we are rebelling against God. This includes highway laws, public conduct laws, respecting rights, etc. All laws are in place to keep everyone safe, and all authority is to be respected. When we follow the rules, deeming them all as important, we will be commended and will keep a clear conscience. If we disobey the law, then we are held accountable by God and the law.
Sometimes we unintentionally break a law, for example when we miss a speed limit sign, but we should always be careful to follow the law. I remember a time recently when I was listening to the book of Romans while driving and right after I heard this verse, I looked at my speedometer and realized that I needed to slow down. Thank you, Lord, for bringing that to my attention!! As soon as we realize that we have messed up, we should fix it, but it is crucial to pay attention to avoid making those mistakes to begin with. Sometimes I wish our vehicles had a built-in sensor to tell us what the speed limit is because there are times when we are not sure until we drive for a while. Hey…that sounds like a good invention that would make someone rich!! As believers, we are expected to be law-abiding citizens who respect authority.

Good morning, Lovekr07;

As a boy / teen my Dad and late Mom instilled respect and obedience in their children to the authorities, mainly the Air and public police. Dad was an officer in the Air Force.

You probably heard of Shaw Air Force Base between Columbia and Sumter, SC? We were stationed there when I had turned 13.

My problem occurred years later when I turned 40. I experienced a devastating low point in my "work career" which led me to curse God at Bible Studies. As the Pastor was reading Scripture I shouted (BS!) It was horrible having so much anger inside. I lost it. I rebelled and disrespected God and Church authority in front of other Church members.

The Pastor immediately rebuked me and I came to my senses. Suddenly the whole group surrounded me, knelt down before God and started praying and weeping. I broke down and apologized to the Lord and my Church family. The humiliation lingered with me for weeks but eventually I got past it. YIKES! My wife was also with us that evening.

I was forgiven. Years later, the tables were turned when Church members have expressed rebellion on me verbally. My personal lessons are a reminder;

God knows we are vulnerable and may have our justifications to break authority. I feel this is why it's vital as Christians to stay in the Word. Romans 13 is there as well as other Scripture in the Old and New Testaments to teach us over and over, no matter who or how old we are, God will always provide the application needed in all our circumstances.

God bless you, Lovekr07, and thank you for sharing Instituted By God

Good morning, Lovekr07;

As a boy / teen my Dad and late Mom instilled respect and obedience in their children to the authorities, mainly the Air and public police. Dad was an officer in the Air Force.

You probably heard of Shaw Air Force Base between Columbia and Sumter, SC? We were stationed there when I had turned 13.

My problem occurred years later when I turned 40. I experienced a devastating low point in my "work career" which led me to curse God at Bible Studies. As the Pastor was reading Scripture I shouted (BS!) It was horrible having so much anger inside. I lost it. I rebelled and disrespected God and Church authority in front of other Church members.

The Pastor immediately rebuked me and I came to my senses. Suddenly the whole group surrounded me, knelt down before God and started praying and weeping. I broke down and apologized to the Lord and my Church family. The humiliation lingered with me for weeks but eventually I got past it. YIKES! My wife was also with us that evening.

I was forgiven. Years later, the tables were turned when Church members have expressed rebellion on me verbally. My personal lessons are a reminder;

God knows we are vulnerable and may have our justifications to break authority. I feel this is why it's vital as Christians to stay in the Word. Romans 13 is there as well as other Scripture in the Old and New Testaments to teach us over and over, no matter who or how old we are, God will always provide the application needed in all our circumstances.

God bless you, Lovekr07, and thank you for sharing Instituted By God
I understand. WE have all done things that we are not proud of. I am so proud of your church family for standing with you and praying for you rather than rejecting and judging you. Sounds like the Body was functioning well!!

Back