Interesting Article...

I saw this on RealClearReligion.org and thought it might be a good conversation starter.

Jason
Hi Jason,

There are many good thoughts in that article. I liked the progression we have on our journey in the Lord. It would have been good to focus on what the Lord does in our lives, instead of us trying and trying in our own strength.

I appreciated the author's observation that our journey to God comes in stages: contrition, supplication, and ultimately gratitude. It has taken me a lifetime to understand the importance of gratitude, both of God and the people in my life.

I saw this on RealClearReligion.org and thought it might be a good conversation starter.

Jason
This is a somewhat accurate evaluation of the growth of a Christian's faith until that Christian comes to understand the meaning of Philippians 2:13 and starts to relax and allow the Holy Spirit to take the driver's seat. The slow maturing process described can be accelerated by conscientiously applying the teachings of Romans 12:1-2 and 1 Thessalonians 5:16-18 to their daily lives and prayer lives.

I only read about half of the article, enough to be concerned.
He gives us what he calls:
"My own simplified vision of spiritual development", without any Scripture reference.

A quick search revealed the following:
"He entered the Jesuits in 1962 and was ordained a priest in 1974 after receiving a M.Div from the Jesuit School of Theology at Berkeley." (RNS website)

I would run from him.
I need Bible teachers who know, and can quote the Scriptures and are clearly followers of Christ themselves

In truth, when someone is undergoing a crisis of faith, they may need to leave their old image of God for a new one. We need to change our understanding of God as we mature, just as we need to change our understanding of our parents as we mature.

As I have grown over the decades, my understanding of my parents has grown, too. My love and respect for them and my assuredness of their commitment to God has never waivered. Similarly, my relationship with the Lord has always been predicated on undeniable, unchangeable facts. This is why book titles such as, "Disappointment With God" have always prompted me to think the author is disappointed with the wrong person because if you're disappointed, that only means you developed unrealistic, non scriptural expectations. If you are truly surrendered to Him, He will never disappoint you.

This is why book titles such as, "Disappointment With God" have always prompted me to think the author is disappointed with the wrong person because if you're disappointed, that only means you developed unrealistic, non scriptural expectations.
It's important to meet people where they are on their journey to God. Many are indeed disappointed. It's for this reason we listen to them and hear their pain. Only through compassion can we gain trust.

Back