Is a person filled with the Holy Spirit when they accept Christ?

I asked this question in Sunday School last week, and received a resounding positive response. Me? Not so sure. Key word being "filled" here. We've started in Acts and have discussed Pentecost the past couple weeks.

you get the Holy Spirit the moment your saved. the more you grow the more of the Holy spirit leads guides . being filled the answer will come from who you ask when filled there is room for nothing else

Ephesians 5:18-33

King James Version

18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

I asked this question in Sunday School last week, and received a resounding positive response. Me? Not so sure. Key word being "filled" here. We've started in Acts and have discussed Pentecost the past couple weeks.
Salvation is the ACT of coming before God and expressing need of HIM... expressing sorrow for all your sins... and ACCEPTING/BELIEVING that JESUS CHRIST was the PERFECT SACRIFICE to cover all your sins. As a Christian we have a 3-fold GOD .... GOD... JESUS CHRIST and the HOLY SPIRIT. One God .... Three persons. This is a study all in itself.

Most of us are so BROKEN by the time we come before God with the heart to repent and come to HIM that we still are unable to function properly EVEN AFTER SALVATION. Salvation is our NEW HOPE indeed.... and YES.... Scripture states we become NEW CREATIONS in CHRIST.... However.... NOT every salvation story consists of seeing stars and hearing bells and whistles after their salvation plea/prayer. God sees us in FINISHED FORM... HE SEES us as RIGHTEOUS because of CHRIST.... we do not automatically have the ability to see our selves as HE sees us because of the REALITY of our lives. THIS takes time and is called SANCTIFICATION... the WALKING out of our faith.

I have heard stories of instant healings and addictions falling away...BUT.... for the most part.... I believe GOD allows us to LEARN how to WALK in our new identities. The difference is that BEFORE our salvation... we were lost and rotting in the filth of our own sins...heading for HELL..... and AFTER SALVATION... GOD declared us WHITE as SNOW... RIGHTEOUS to stand before HIM because of His SON JESUS CHRIST. I have simplified it all so please don't anyone tell me I forgot an important component. HA.

The point being.... God is gentle.... HE is GOOD... HE is PATIENT.... HE is ALL KNOWING...and HIS TIMING is perfect.

My salvation story plays out like this. I was "saved" in 2002. This is when I decided to become a Christian. I was a member of a Christian chatroom at the time... and this added a lot of confusion to me regarding what it meant to be a Christian. It seems that when a venue hosts more than one denomination... the consequences of that is a smorgasbord of BELIEFS and TEACHINGS about Christianity. In retrospect... this did me more damage than good because I witnessed so many false teachings and it took me decades to work through what TRUE CHRISTIANITY was.

GOD is PERFECT in His timing and HE is thorough with our CLEANSING. He teaches us how to TRUST HIM = FAITH and that takes both good and difficult times.

It wasn't until 3 years ago that I actually FELT the LOVE of GOD for the first time in my life and THAT is when EVERYTHING changed for me. THAT is when I became FILLED with GREAT JOY to OVERFLOWING and three years in and I still have this JOY and PEACE.

Being filled with the HOLY Spirit and FEELING the love of GOD go hand in hand. I don't believe one can actually GROW in their faith UNTIL they know they are UNCONDITIONALLY LOVED by GOD.

I could argue that I wasn't a Christian until three years ago... but that is definitely NOT the case.... GOD chose to allow me to heal from much trauma and suffering... He took off the lies and damage of my soul... layer by layer until one day... I was able to RECEIVE His Love.

Salvation is indeed an event. WE go from dead to alive... From hell bound to heaven bound... but the reality of it all is that we still need to face the consequences of the many MESSES we got into before hand. God does NOT erase the natural consequences of our poorly lived lives.

WE are given EXACTLY what we NEED to break through all the DARKNESS and walk into the LIGHT.

Last edited:
When thinking upon the Holy Spirit I’m not sure if Gods Spirit actually lives within us physically or simply that God rejuvenates and makes our spirit alive with his

When thinking upon the Holy Spirit I’m not sure if Gods Spirit actually lives within us physically or simply that God rejuvenates and makes our spirit alive with his
I think one needs to understand the different roles of the Father... Son and Holy Spirit.

God is our CREATOR.... our GOD.... He is the ALMIGHTY.... The GREAT I AM.
His Son is our Shepherd... our Master... our TEACHER... Our ADVOCATE so that we can approach the Throne of GOD.
The Holy Spirit is our COMFORTER... our HELPER.... our HOPE in finishing this race till the end.

ONE God... but three different functions. That is how I see it... Again... my explanation is most simplistic and does not cover the DEPTHS of this topic.

he quickens us makes us alive by placing the holy spirit in us. romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. he does both the spirit quickens

John 6:63​

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

i like the valley of dry bones in Ezekiel not only does he make us alive He gives us power to live the life

he quickens us makes us alive by placing the holy spirit in us. romans 8:9 But ye are not in the flesh, but in the Spirit, if so be that the Spirit of God dwell in you. Now if any man have not the Spirit of Christ, he is none of his. he does both the spirit quickens

John 6:63​

“It is the spirit that quickeneth; the flesh profiteth nothing: the words that I speak unto you, they are spirit, and they are life.”

i like the valley of dry bones in Ezekiel not only does he make us alive He gives us power to live the life
Forgiven I guess it comes down to how we interpret the Spirit of God in dwelling us. Let’s say for perhaps the billions of Christians that have gone before us and be that also the present and future Christians as well. That would mean at the very least that the Holy Spirit would now be split into millions of individual personages If seen separately dwelling inside every individual. I’m not sure how it works perhaps we are all connected to one Divine Spirit. But the Spirit of God remains ONE

I guess my question was "Is a person filled with the Holy Spirit at salvation or is it an ongoing process?"
Does a person get a 'taste' of it when they accept Christ, and as they yield their life more and more to Him over time, in turn, increasing more and more?

I guess my question was "Is a person filled with the Holy Spirit at salvation or is it an ongoing process?"
I believe we are given the Holy Spirit as our comforter... guide/helper at the time of our conversion.

Working that out sometimes takes a long time... FEELING it or not feeling it does not change the fact that we are given this gift
at the time of our conversion.

you get the Holy Spirit the moment your saved. the more you grow the more of the Holy spirit leads guides . being filled the answer will come from who you ask when filled there is room for nothing else

Ephesians 5:18-33​

King James Version​

18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
19 Speaking to yourselves in psalms and hymns and spiritual songs, singing and making melody in your heart to the Lord;
20 Giving thanks always for all things unto God and the Father in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ;
21 Submitting yourselves one to another in the fear of God.

Good morning, drequeen;

Is a person filled with the Holy Spirit when they accept Christ?

Yes. It's a promise from God.

In your Sunday School study of Acts 1, Jesus ascended into Heaven 40 days after His Resurrection. In Acts 2 the "Helper" or Holy Spirit descended 50 days after the Resurrection, or 10 days after Jesus ascended into Heaven.

Fills or Indwelts

Meaning, when we accept Christ, the Holy Spirit fills us but we don't master
this manifestation instantly. Its a lifetime process of growing and maturing as Christian disciples. In 1 Corinthians 12:7, 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. - ESV

In the New Testament all of Christ's servants were nuckleheads and made mistakes while God was building up each one as He does with us today.

God does a good work in us after our acceptance of Christ, slowly but surely. He reveals our spiritual gift, or gifts. At the same time the "filling" of the Holy Spirit intercedes on our behalf.

Please read and meditate slowly - Romans 8:23-27, 23 And not only the creation, but we ourselves, who have the firstfruits of the Spirit, groan inwardly as we wait eagerly for adoption as sons, the redemption of our bodies. 24 For in this hope we were saved. Now hope that is seen is not hope. For who hopes for what he sees? 25 But if we hope for what we do not see, we wait for it with patience.

26 Likewise the Spirit helps us in our weakness. For we do not know what to pray for as we ought, but the Spirit himself intercedes for us with groanings too deep for words.

27 And he who searches hearts knows what is the mind of the Spirit, because the Spirit intercedes for the saints according to the will of God.
- ESV

As we continue to grow daily, we learn that the Holy Spirit is not limited, but amazing and works constantly in so many ways that are higher than our comprehension.

God bless you, drequeen.

Meaning, when we accept Christ, the Holy Spirit fills us but we don't master this manifestation instantly. Its a lifetime process of growing and maturing as Christian disciples. In 1 Corinthians 12:7, 7 To each is given the manifestation of the Spirit for the common good. - ESV
agreed the reason i say the answer depends on who you ask.. the charismatic movement wants to add other thing to the spirit filled life. yes i oppose it i have seen on video Kenneth Hagen just wave his hands people start twitching live there having a grand mal seizure . if the Holy spirit is in it it will be done decently and in order Not running around like a chicken with its head cut off

that the Holy Spirit would now be split into millions of individual personages If seen separately dwelling inside every individual. I’m not sure how it works perhaps we are all connected to one Divine Spirit. But the Spirit of God remains ONE
not exactly the Holy spirit is not nor has been split up .read every thing in scripture on the holy spirit, the same Holy spirit that was ushered in at Pentecost .is the same spirit that dwell in us today. john 3
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

admittedly the spirit operates in each person in a different manner . just like preaching some men can stand up and start preaching the old time fire and brimstone preaching. while others preach in a different manner , but its still the true preacher the anointing aka Holy ghost. some are gifted in areas that others are not . but the gift is still the spirit working in each one . by my spirit

Zechariah 4:6

King James Version

6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.

agreed the reason i say the answer depends on who you ask.. the charismatic movement wants to add other thing to the spirit filled life. yes i oppose it i have seen on video Kenneth Hagen just wave his hands people start twitching live there having a grand mal seizure . if the Holy spirit is in it it will be done decently and in order Not running around like a chicken with its head cut off

Hello forgiven;

I also agree with you. I remember hearing a lot about Hagen, Copeland, the charismatic movement and Rhema Bible Training College back in the 1990s.

Hello forgiven;

I also agree with you. I remember hearing a lot about Hagen, Copeland, the charismatic movement and Rhema Bible Training College back in the 1990s.
i ve seen some you tube videos it was crazy i never seen Copeland much ive heard him speak a tad bit history they say Howard and vestal Goodman use to attend Copeland Church . love to hear her sing years ago a former pastor treated my wife and i to a gaither concert vestal sang . talk about wonderful

not exactly the Holy spirit is not nor has been split up .read every thing in scripture on the holy spirit, the same Holy spirit that was ushered in at Pentecost .is the same spirit that dwell in us today. john 3
5 Jesus answered, Verily, verily, I say unto thee, Except a man be born of water and of the Spirit, he cannot enter into the kingdom of God.

6 That which is born of the flesh is flesh; and that which is born of the Spirit is spirit.

7 Marvel not that I said unto thee, Ye must be born again.

8 The wind bloweth where it listeth, and thou hearest the sound thereof, but canst not tell whence it cometh, and whither it goeth: so is every one that is born of the Spirit.

admittedly the spirit operates in each person in a different manner . just like preaching some men can stand up and start preaching the old time fire and brimstone preaching. while others preach in a different manner , but its still the true preacher the anointing aka Holy ghost. some are gifted in areas that others are not . but the gift is still the spirit working in each one . by my spirit

Zechariah 4:6​

King James Version​

6 Then he answered and spake unto me, saying, This is the word of the Lord unto Zerubbabel, saying, Not by might, nor by power, but by my spirit, saith the Lord of hosts.
Forgiven I not disagree with the passages you quote. I only think in deep reflection and be wonderment of how the Holy Spirit can act simultaneously in the lives of christians everyday throughout the entire world touching and guiding us through his Spirit of truth. But we are only fallen mere mortals I guess. The how maybe too complex for us to understand considering that we dealing with the one true God that created a highly complex world and universe. We must simply take scripture at its word. Maybe sometimes I think to deeply when we really don’t have to understand everything we simply need to trust and hold the Masters hand. Thank you for your wisdom and insight on scripture

The how maybe too complex for us to understand considering that we dealing with the one true God that created a highly complex world and universe. We must simply take scripture at its word. Maybe sometimes I think to deeply when we really don’t have to understand everything we simply need to trust and hold the Masters hand. Thank you for your wisdom and insight on scripture
Good morning Prim...
I think for some people with scientific and wondering minds... ACCEPTING the mystery of God is a more difficult task.

I am a simple thinker.... It is not at all difficult for me to accept that there are many things about God that I simply do NOT understand. It does not change anything about the TRUTH of HIS HOLY WORD.

God bless you DEAR sister.

Back