Is Hypnotism Biblical?

Food for thought!

Dan_8:18 As he spoke with me, I fell into a trance with my face to the ground. But he touched me and stood me upright.

Dan_10:9 I listened to his voice, and as I did so I fell into a trance-like sleep with my face to the ground.

Act_10:10 He became hungry and wanted to eat, but while they were preparing the meal, a trance came over him.

Act_11:5 "I was in the city of Joppa praying, and in a trance I saw a vision, an object something like a large sheet descending, being let down from heaven by its four corners, and it came to me.

Act_22:17 When62 I returned to Jerusalem and was praying in the temple, I fell into a trance

Trance:

ἔκστασις
ekstasis
Thayer Definition:
1) any casting down of a thing from its proper place or state, displacement
2) a throwing of the mind out of its normal state, alienation of mind, whether such as makes a lunatic or that of a man who by some sudden emotion is transported as it were out of himself, so that in this rapt condition, although he is awake, his mind is drawn off from all surrounding objects and wholly fixed on things divine that he sees nothing but the forms and images lying within, and thinks that he perceives with his bodily eyes and ears realities shown him by God.
3) amazement, the state of one who, either owing to the importance or the novelty of an event, is thrown into a state of blended fear and wonderment

The Complete Word Study. Trance:
ékstasis; gen. ekstáseōs, from exístēmi (G1839), to remove out of its place or state. A putting away, removal of anything out of a place.
(I) An ecstasy in which the mind is for a time carried, as it were, out of or beyond itself and lost. Great astonishment, amazement (Mar_5:42; Mar_16:8; Luk_5:26; Act_3:10; Sept.: Gen_27:33; Deu_28:28; 2Ch_14:14; Eze_27:35).
(II) A trance, sacred ecstasy or rapture of the mind beyond itself when the use of the external senses are suspended and God reveals something in a peculiar manner (Act_10:10; Act_11:5; Act_22:17 [cf. 2Co_12:2; Eze_1:1 {cf. Sept.: Gen_2:21}]).
(III) The Eng. word which would correspond to ékstasis is rapture, but not in its exact sense as the act of seizing and carrying away, which would literally correspond to harpagḗ (G724) and the verb harpázō (G726), to seize, take by force or catch away upward. Harpagḗ and the verb harpázō are used trans., while ékstasis and the verb exístēmi are used as a reaction of the mind to an external cause or an internal feeling. It is not being oneself but, as if it were, one standing outside himself.

Would you think that there is always a counterfeit to the true things of God. One man giving another man a suggestion to his subconscious mind in order to have him to do or see things that he would not normally see or do. Where as God himself speaking to man into his heart that would cause him also to see things and do things he would not normally do or see?

Would you think that there is always a counterfeit to the true things of God. One man giving another man a suggestion to his subconscious mind in order to have him to do or see things that he would not normally see or do. Where as God himself speaking to man into his heart that would cause him also to see things and do things he would not normally do or see?

Lord knows I am not the one to speak to this subject. But without doing any investigative work on the verses you posted concerning a "trance", I would think first off that a "trance" induced because of coming into contact with God far out ways any thought of Being "INDUCED" by another man to alter your mental abilities. But that is just me.

Lord knows I am not the one to speak to this subject. But without doing any investigative work on the verses you posted concerning a "trance", I would think first off that a "trance" induced because of coming into contact with God far out ways any thought of Being "INDUCED" by another man to alter your mental abilities. But that is just me.

I wonder what I did to get the quote in comment #24 to show up twice?? Anyone know what I did?????

Sometimes when I press "Post Reply" the website hangs up and does not look like it went through, so I press it again and then it goes through with a double post.

Back