Is infant baptism from the Bible?

Hello Major;

I agree with you that the Bible does not specifically mention the terms Infant Baptism or Baby Dedication, however, I do believe the term household in the passages I shared had to include children or infants. "Household or family" in Israel, means family as whole, including children when the household received baptisms.

I agree and understand that infants are not capable of knowing sin, its consequences and making the decision to be baptized.

I do understand. I mentioned the child's parents in my original post;

When parents have a child, it is a wonderful blessing and gift by God, but Dad and Mom are also entrusted as stewards of the child God has given them to raise and teach them in their childhood to love God and follow Jesus Christ. Since the child is not ready to make their own decision to be "baptized," the parents will decide for their child and ask their Pastor do a Child Dedication before the church congregation as a witness of raising their child by loving God and teaching His guidance in their home.

Major, in the church or churches you pastored, did you perform Child Dedications?

God bless you and your family, brother.

No problem brother.

IMO, when an infant is baptized and then told as he grows up that he is saved because of the event, he is then likely to rely on the event of baptism instead of "believing upon the Lord Jesus for his salvation".

Yes sir. However it was made clear that the dedication was for the Parents and not for the child. It is up to the parents to get there child to church and to bring them up correctly. The infant will only do as much as the parent enables them to do.

In all the baby dedications I witnessed it was more that the parents promised to raise the child in church. The baby of course didnt say anything. I think I heard some googoos and gagas but I couldnt understand what that meant.

No problem brother. IMO, when an infant is baptized and then told as he grows up that he is saved because of the event, he is then likely to rely on the event of baptism instead of "believing upon the Lord Jesus for his salvation". Yes sir. However it was made clear that the dedication was for the Parents and not for the child. It is up to the parents to get there child to church and to bring them up correctly. The infant will only do as much as the parent enables them to do.

Amen, brother, and thank you. If I can say regarding this topic, God gets the glory for our discussion, fellowship and each one's input with our brothers and sisters.

I just one question. What happened to Hobie?

Always good to discuss topics with you, Major. God bless you always and your family.

In all the baby dedications I witnessed it was more that the parents promised to raise the child in church. The baby of course didnt say anything. I think I heard some googoos and gagas but I couldnt understand what that meant.

Hi Lanolin;

Googoos and gagas. lol! Good observation. To be honest, years ago I had a personal issue with baby sounds during church service. But now when I hear the sounds of babies during service it truly is a blessing to my ears.

God bless you, sister.

Amen, brother, and thank you. If I can say regarding this topic, God gets the glory for our discussion, fellowship and each one's input with our brothers and sisters.

I just one question. What happened to Hobie?

Always good to discuss topics with you, Major. God bless you always and your family.

Hi Lanolin;

Googoos and gagas. lol! Good observation. To be honest, years ago I had a personal issue with baby sounds during church service. But now when I hear the sounds of babies during service it truly is a blessing to my ears.

God bless you, sister.

Amen. There has never been a baby that could out goo me preaching,

I don't believe in child baptism. I have utter respect for those believers. Because they do that with good heart. At the end of it, I don't think Bible support child baptism. I believe in believer's baptism. It is a fundamental difference in interpretation of certain key Bible verses. Especially how Paul compares circumcision and baptism in Colossians 2. I think there are lot of studies from well known preachers and pastors on this topic.

I don't think this should separate Christians. It is not something about which we should call names. It should be an acceptable difference. I personally know people who took baptism after committing life to Jesus even though they were baptized as little children. I also know people who accepted Jesus and did not get baptized again because they were already baptized as children.

I don't believe in child baptism. I have utter respect for those believers. Because they do that with good heart. At the end of it, I don't think Bible support child baptism. I believe in believer's baptism. It is a fundamental difference in interpretation of certain key Bible verses. Especially how Paul compares circumcision and baptism in Colossians 2. I think there are lot of studies from well known preachers and pastors on this topic.

I don't think this should separate Christians. It is not something about which we should call names. It should be an acceptable difference. I personally know people who took baptism after committing life to Jesus even though they were baptized as little children. I also know people who accepted Jesus and did not get baptized again because they were already baptized as children.

Agreed. This is not an "Essential" teaching to salvation as the Bible does not teach that salvation is dependent upon being baptized. . However, it has caused many splits in churches and denominations in the past.

Really, what makes you say that. Gold isnt just used for burials...actually never seen any of those items at burials

You are just going to have to believe me or do the work and look it up on the internet. All three gifts foreshadow the death of Jesus, as all are items that would have been needed for a Jewish burial. The gold would be needed for the tomb and burial cloth, and the frankincense and myrrh were needed to prepare the body.

The gold, pointed to Christs royalty as King of the Jews and Lord of lords.
In the frankincense, it pointed to His divinity.
The myrrh represented His humanity—and that to the fullest extent because myrrh suggests death and burial.

Thus, the gifts came to show Jesus as King, God, and Man.

You are just going to have to believe me or do the work and look it up on the internet. All three gifts foreshadow the death of Jesus, as all are items that would have been needed for a Jewish burial. The gold would be needed for the tomb and burial cloth, and the frankincense and myrrh were needed to prepare the body.

The gold, pointed to Christs royalty as King of the Jews and Lord of lords.
In the frankincense, it pointed to His divinity.
The myrrh represented His humanity—and that to the fullest extent because myrrh suggests death and burial.

Thus, the gifts came to show Jesus as King, God, and Man.
Gold for a burial cloth? Thought it was linen.
Also the spices used to anoint jesus body were a mixture of myrrh and aloes. According to johns gospel.

Anyway I was asking why arent these given to infants in these dedications and baptisms. Wont these infants all need them anyway cos we are all going to be buried to be raised again anyway.

Gold for a burial cloth? Thought it was linen.
Also the spices used to anoint jesus body were a mixture of myrrh and aloes. According to johns gospel.

Anyway I was asking why arent these given to infants in these dedications and baptisms. Wont these infants all need them anyway cos we are all going to be buried to be raised again anyway.

Goodbye sister.

Back