Is This the Essence of Denominationalism?

The speaker in the vid was simply self-justifying and trying to sound thoughtful about it. It has little to do with the variety of denominations.

Proverbs 12:15 (KJV)
15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes:
but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

Denominationlism is the result of men approaching the central truths of Christ from different backgrounds and emphasizing different aspects of belief. So men of like views worship together. A fundamental question when choosing a church is whether a given congregation will balance encouragement, growth, service, and not a small portion of challenge.

One of my conscious reasons for becoming a member here was to meet and listen to brothers with a different viewpoint and to see Him through their eyes.

The speaker in the vid was simply self-justifying and trying to sound thoughtful about it. It has little to do with the variety of denominations.

Proverbs 12:15 (KJV)
15 The way of a fool is right in his own eyes:
but he that hearkeneth unto counsel is wise.

Denominationlism is the result of men approaching the central truths of Christ from different backgrounds and emphasizing different aspects of belief. So men of like views worship together. A fundamental question when choosing a church is whether a given congregation will balance encouragement, growth, service, and not a small portion of challenge.

One of my conscious reasons for becoming a member here was to meet and listen to brothers with a different viewpoint and to see Him through their eyes.

Thanks for the response.

I've heard all kinds of definitions for "denominations" and the reasoning behind their existence. What resonated with me about what the man said is that he was addressing "group think." That is a phenomenon very much alive and well within all the denominations I have ever been affiliated with, or have seen from the outside.

Now, I'm not saying that he is theologically correct in every respect, but he did drive home a point about mere religion.

Just my thoughts on it.

MM

Hello Musicmaster;

While viewing this video, the man has sad eyes and I'm familiar with his self philosophy. When men and women share this with me regarding God, Jesus or a "higher power," they will stand firm on their own doctrine like this man.

But during these encounters I felt most of them were on the right track of "opening the discussion," and this gives me the opportunity to love and listen to them with an open heart. Most of these men, women and this man in the video will see through me, or know if my mind is made up and oppose them. I feel they felt respected in opening up to me, and God has prepared me what to do and say when it's my turn to share my faith with them.

1 Peter 3:15

After the discussion I will pray for them (openly or quietly,) wish them well and go my way. Whether they change their view and receive Christ at that moment is the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

I pray this man in the video will cross paths with a man or woman of God and hopefully will come to Christ as his personal Lord and Savior.

God bless you, MM, and thank you for sharing this.

I've heard all kinds of definitions for "denominations" and the reasoning behind their existence. What resonated with me about what the man said is that he was addressing "group think." That is a phenomenon very much alive and well within all the denominations I have ever been affiliated with, or have seen from the outside.

I really didn't (and still don't) get the impression that the man was referring to group-thinking.

My working definition of group-think: the phenomenon where persons so identify with a group that they lose the ability to think critically about that group or its collective views.

It is a term often used dismissively by those outside a group to characterize those within said group.

To an outsider (i.e. non-believer), Christianity is a big group-think collection of smaller group-think associations. As a group though we may ceaselessly proclaim Christ, we do little internal debating about the fact of Jesus and His works, although we hold to contrasting details. My view of our savior is closely related to others, and while I admit to some minority views, I try to think and meditate on the thoughts of other Christians in brotherhood. For me, my sinful nature and Christs remedy (His blood) are not in question, and my meditations are with that as a given. If you call that my participation in group-think, OK but I would point out that I when I was being called to our Lord, I gave a lot of critical thinking to arrive at a solid conclusion that I no longer question.

Hello Musicmaster;

While viewing this video, the man has sad eyes and I'm familiar with his self philosophy. When men and women share this with me regarding God, Jesus or a "higher power," they will stand firm on their own doctrine like this man.

But during these encounters I felt most of them were on the right track of "opening the discussion," and this gives me the opportunity to love and listen to them with an open heart. Most of these men, women and this man in the video will see through me, or know if my mind is made up and oppose them. I feel they felt respected in opening up to me, and God has prepared me what to do and say when it's my turn to share my faith with them.

1 Peter 3:15

After the discussion I will pray for them (openly or quietly,) wish them well and go my way. Whether they change their view and receive Christ at that moment is the prompting of the Holy Spirit.

I pray this man in the video will cross paths with a man or woman of God and hopefully will come to Christ as his personal Lord and Savior.

God bless you, MM, and thank you for sharing this.

Thanks, Bob. That man's beliefs were not steeped in the depths of truth in scripture, but he did bring about some thoughts and memories in my own experiences with people who had a less than solid grasp of the truth.

MM

mere religion.
is like a pencil with erasers on both ends ....NO POINT religion is just a formality of going through the motions . in my area we have all kinds of Churches in town alone we have at least 8 churches. going out of town we have west point U.P.C while i dont agree with all there doctrine mainly baptized for the remission of sins. on a scale of 1- 10 being the Church compared to the ones in town. i give them a 8 they are active in the community they help folks and the reach out with Jesus

the denomination is only as good as those who attend.

man's beliefs were not steeped in the depths of truth in scripture

you have that in any group from those in the Church house to those at home Church

The person in the video could start his own denomination. Call it "The So Be It" denomination.
"I am worthy because I just exist" (30sec mark) is the worse thing he could say and indicates he is hell bound.
Scripture says no one is worthy (except ONE) 'because they just exist'. This is a denial of the very Gospel itself!!
In any case I would not join up with his 'So Be It' denomination.

The way some people talk you wonder why Jesus needed to die for our sins.

Last edited:
this may ruffle feathers but videos like this dont impress me ! only one thing sends people to hell. rejecting Jesus Christ as savior .

anybody could make a video like that big deal. just be able to read a script. common sense teaches us Jesus is the way truth life no man comes to the father but through him. the Church dont save us or keep us saved.
the church is a multi purpose center.. a place of worship . its a safe haven/ refuge . its a hospital its for what ever you need. that includes a place to eat. Manna from the word of God

one thing for surer we dont have to pray about Going to Church.. but pray where we go. in the past 20 some odd years in the ministry. i have seen lots of things. a lady getting upset because i was a general baptist preaching in a southern baptist . i never realized there was a different Bible.. i seen a woman get mad because she felt she was losing control . plus i didnt agree with her on J.W being a Christian faith. that was in a allegedly ucc united Church of Christ.. once again i preached Bible..

what i am saying the Church body of Christ in the Building is not perfect .. why? because i am there. many just simply are not rooted and grounded thus they become Church hoppers . they like this group for a while then jump to the next .like checker board .

yes i am very pro Go to Church people in nursing homes would love to go if they was able

The person in the video could start his own denomination. Call it "The So Be It" denomination.
"I am worthy because I just exist" (30sec mark) is the worse thing he could say and indicates he is hell bound.
Scripture says no one is worthy (except ONE) 'because they just exist'. This is a denial of the very Gospel itself!!

All this guy did was explain why he is hell bound!

Gibber-jabber!

IF that is what he thinks then YES he is going to hell! Sincerity and religion has nothing to do with Heaven.
Self worth and esteem is really wondferful sounding words but in the end they mean nothing!

We all go to heaven the same way.........None of us are worth and we are all sinners and we get to heaven based on what Jeus did for us!
new age theology at its best

Oh, man. That was a good one. I like it. Better yet, The "Southern So Be It" denomination. 🤣

Isn't it amazing...some of the things said at the SBC convention last year (I think it was). A famous dude dares to claim at the convention that the 'topic of women pastors' is nothing more than a 'distraction' from the more important things. I mean, how many ways can anyone declare that they are for what scripture clearly disallows...? What was very much lacking is the definition, or scope, of the responsibilities of the "women pastors" they were wanting to vote in.

Sadly, the "women pastors" topic is nothing more than a tool to then create an opening of the door of compromise that lets other things squeeze in through the opening like a flood once that opening is forced wide enough. The progressions have become totally predictable. First women, then perverse people...all the way down to the most base and degenerate class if sinners as we see in media today, along with all the WOKE philosophies.

Thirty years ago I predicted that we would one day get to the point that the social icons would begin talking about the alleged need for "compassion" toward for those who desire to violate children, which will then lead to a "right" to access. All along through these 30 years, people were always saying, "No WAY will we ever get to that point." They now call it "minor attraction."

Well, folks, here we are....

It was bad enough killing the unborn, now they want to violate those who made it through birth...

On a more wholesome note, we as followers of Christ have the most powerful tool one could ever want at our disposal.

PRAYER

Matthew 16:18 And I say also unto thee, That thou art Peter, and upon this rock I will build my church; and the gates of hell shall not prevail against it.

It isn't Peter, as some believe that verse is saying. No. Peter was never Divine. He was never Deity. The Church could never have been built upon a mere man, for fallibility has never been a solid basis upon which to build anything lasting and meaningful. There is no representative of Christ on this earth apart from ALL TRUE believers in Christ Jesus.

The strongholds of evil and wickedness can be and are being pulled down every day because of the prayers of the saints. Dear ones, continue to pray for the pulling down of ALL the strongholds of evil and wickedness that can only gain strength when we are not praying as we should. Never cease praying. Assault the gates of Hell DAILY!

MM

Isn't it amazing...some of the things said at the SBC convention
every denomination has flaws ...yes and that includes your church home thing . has the sbc got problems ? yes they do do you do I have problems? you bet.. seriously you know your Bible and my hats off to you.. but honestly your platform is all anti Church attendance to the sanctuary . its not about us or any denom Its about Christ .

when we start nick picking the Church we harm the Body of Christ

every denomination has flaws ...yes and that includes your church home thing . has the sbc got problems ? yes they do do you do I have problems? you bet.. seriously you know your Bible and my hats off to you.. but honestly your platform is all anti Church attendance to the sanctuary . its not about us or any denom Its about Christ .

when we start nick picking the Church we harm the Body of Christ

You missed the point...but that's ok. To each his own. Have a blessed one.

MM

since i missed the point.. what was the exact point women preachers or the sbc?

so if i misunderstood you i apologize. the o.p was about the video in which obvious the poor chap has no clue

F61, the point was navigated toward throughout that message. It has to do with more than just women "pastors," which the Bible clearly does not support nor endorse...and actually forbids if their definition of that terminology is at the level of how it is defined within the Bible...

The point is how any allowance for the door of compromise is ever opened, even just a sliver, that it's much easier for the avalanche of other immoral, perverse corruptions to gain a foothold. The "turning away" is taking place right before our eyes.

Now, don't get me wrong. We are living in exciting times to see prophecies being fulfilled right here and now. Things are moving toward the culmination of all things in this world, and its ultimate judgement. What I bemoan is so many souls falling into the deceptions of the enemy, and the continued disbelief of Israel in Christ Jesus. They are going to suffer the annihilation of an entire two-thirds of all their population before they are finally pulled out of the fire (so to speak).

I am with the Lord on the fact that it's sad to anyone perishes, given that the Lord takes no pleasure in the death of the wicked.

Does that clarify? I was not nit-picking in any way given that women pastors can be and is a serious breach of biblical truths. It's multi-faceted, and dare one not be prepared to address them all, such is not an effective witness for Christ.

2 Timothy 4:2 Preach the word; be instant in season, out of season; reprove, rebuke, exhort with all longsuffering and doctrine.

Is women preachers a doctrinal issue? You bet it is!

MM

Back