isaiah 40:22

smellycat

Account Closed
isaiah 40:22

Isaiah 40:22
It is he that sitteth upon the circle of the earth, and the inhabitants thereof are as grasshoppers; that stretcheth out the heavens as a curtain, and spreadeth them out as a tent to dwell in:................i have been getting rebuffed on this subject,of how the old testament says the earth is flat,ie circle...........we are made in Gods image,when a designer designs a building he first draws the dimensions,ie technical drawing.if you drew the earth,the earth would indead have 4 corners on the design and be flat on paper.can anybody else help on the rest of this verse please.?

A globe is a circle.

Thanks Boanerges, I was just going to make the same point.

The translation of this verse could also read "He sits enthroned above the horizon of the earth.

Strangely enough I have always taken this verse as showing that the earth is not flat and that God was here giving us evidence that the world was a globe.

This chapter talks of the incomparable God, who is the Creator 12-20, the Disposer 21-26, the God of Hope 27-31.

Wonder of wonders that he who is transcendant, so far above us that we cannot even imagine Him, laid aside his Glory and became immanent, taking even the place of a servant.

"All within me falls at your throne. Your majesty I can bow bow".

(King of Kings, Majesty, Words and music Jarrod Cooper. No. 1000 Complete Mission Praise.

God bless us all as we learn together.

In Hebrew, there was no word for "sphere" only for "circle" so that is why they used the best word they had.

Job 26:7 also states that " He spreads out the northern skies over empty space; he suspends the earth over nothing."

Here you can clearly see that the inspired Word of God understood the earth to be a globe suspended in space more that 1,000 years before Copernicus.

Psalm 8:8 teaches us of the "paths" in the sea. The people of that time were virtually unaware of the ocean currents, but God who had created them, revealed His creation to us long before their discovery by Matthew Maury in the mid 1800's.

In the late 1600's AD, the water cycle was "discovered" by scientists.
However in Ecclesiastes 1:6-7; 11:3 Job 26:8 Amos 9:6. It had been laid out and explained centuries earlier.

Job 36:27-28 explains the process of distillation, evaporation, cloud formation from water vapor.

Our creator new that we would be unable to count the stars ther are so many, however until fairly recently it was believed that the Milky Way Galaxie was the only galaxie and that in fact the stars could be counted.

But thousands of years ago, God had given us the truth of His creation...
Jeremiah 33:22
Genesis 15:5

Ecclesiastes 1:6 describes the atmospheric wind currents of the earth.

Only the extremely uneducated really thought the earth was flat, not only had the Bible made it clear that this was not true but even the sailors understood why the mast of a boat was still visible after the boat itself had disapeared over the horizon.

I think sometimes people like to believe that the people 6,000 years ago were ignorant just to make themselves feel smarter. :)

Back