It’s All In The Desire

What is a “sinner”? Though all sin (Rom 3:23), a sinner is not merely one who sins, for Scripture always differentiates between sinners and the righteous. Humility reminds us that none are “just” within themselves (Ecc 7:20), because it is “not I but Christ” where righteousness dwells in the redeemed. The separation-point between the sin in the sinner, and the sin in the righteous lies in the fact that the righteous do not desire sin, which cannot be said of one who is unconcerned about sinning.

The “glory” of Christ in us is this, O ye “household of faith,”—which is the “household of God,” that sin is in us—but we are not in it (Rom 8:9): and “those who are still under the control of their sinful nature can never please God” (Rom 8:8 NLT). The “desire” God works in us (Phil 2:13) contains the fullness of what and who we are in the Lord Jesus, resulting in our ominous hatred for the old man and its “members” (Col 3:5, 9).

Though I still sin with my old nature (Rom 7:17, 20) it is not my desire with the new nature (Rom 7:15); and it is in this light of “unwilling” desire (Heb 10:26) to sin where God sees us in Christ, which is always as a “captive” against the will in the soul of the new nature (Rom 7:23). It is in this inability of sin to cause us to desire sin that manifests our freedom from its “reign” and “domination” (Rom 6:12, 14). Much like the boy in school who was told to read standing up but said out loud, “I will stand but inside I’m still sitting!”

-NC

Back