Jesus, Angel & Jose!!!

I don't know if I should post this on the Humour thread, but we here we go any way. I teach English as a foreign language, and so for the past week I've had the above three Spanish boys living in my house.

I couldn't believe the names of the boys when I first got the paperwork. They are the last students of the year (finally I get a few weeks off). But hey ho. I should have known that there would be a problem.

Angel is a darling, a short stocky football player (in American that means soccer lol), Jose is a nice, polite boy (who attempts conversation at all costs) which means he wants to learn English and isn't afraid to try, which I appreciate. He also interprets for his friend Angel, who's English isn't so good, but, during the past week has really come out of his 'I can't speak English' shell, and has gained confidence and started to instigate and participate in conversations. And so we chat away!

Jesus, on the other hand, is the rudest boy I've ever met. And that's saying something, after over 10 years of doing this for a living. He also speaks the best English!?

He truly is obnoxious.

I have 2 x questions for anybody reading this.

1. How do I continue to bite my tongue in his presence? And believe me I AM.

2. Why on this God's green earth, in this day and age, would any parent give their child the name 'Jesus'?

As far as the names, these are fairly common names in Hispanic cultures.

I have known several people named Jesus -- usualy pronounced "Hey-Sus". It takes getting used to, but it is as not meant to be disrespectful (just the opposite).

As far as biting your tongue, search your heart. If you are not motivated by anger, showing your displeasure at his behavior may be what is needed.

He is probably feeling overwhelmed being out of his culture, but too many young men get the wrong idea of what being masculine is all about.

Being a loving Christian does not mean being a willing target of abuse.

Do you have any contact with his family? How about someone else from his culture.

Someone that he can talk to that he will not feel is against him personaly, but will not stand for disrespect to someone trying to help him.

One thing I would say is that they are under your roof and care. Most schools or school type of environment that I know of don't allow disrespect. There are rules for a reason. And most of the time consequences for wrong behavior. Teachers can be friends, but also have to be strong enough to discipline if necessary.

So it sounds like maybe its time to have a chat with him about common decency and respect. And possible consequences if he keeps it up. It all can be done in love. But allowed to continue doesn't do him any justice or you. Nor is a good example for the other gentlemen staying with you at the same time.

Blessings

Jesus is a common name, there are actually several Jesus in the Bible, our equivalent would be Joshua, which means 'salvation', Jesus is one of the variants of this name. Also Angela is a common girls name. I havent heard of a boy being called Angel, but hey all parents name their child something, even if its 'number 3'! (My aunty)

You may just need to be firm with the rude child. I find girls easier to handle because they are easier to entreat but boys often respond better to firm discipline. Ground rules/house rules are good idea so the child knows there are boundaries..and consequences if they cross them (and rewards for good behaviour) Also pray!

Maybe it's time for a sit down with him. Maybe see if there is something wrong or bothering him because of his behavior. Maybe explain to him that he is there to learn from you along with the other people in your home. Explain to him that you need to know if anything is wrong with him before you go any further in your teaching. And, explain that you are inquiring because if nothing is wrong, his attitude is not acceptable in your home. If this is something that he is not interested in doing, let you know and other arrangements can be made. But you cannot have his attitude going un-noticed. You don't want the others to think its okay and then you will really have a problem. So, lets talk about this before it gets out of hand. Explain the house rules to him and that your house rules are non-negotiable.

Back