Jesus Calls His First Disciples

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

These passages have raised a question (not a trick question!) when studying the Bible, how do we reconcile what occurred first when Jesus met Andrew and Simon?

In Matthew 4:18-20, 18 While walking by the Sea of Galilee, he saw two brothers, Simon (who is called Peter) and Andrew his brother, casting a net into the sea, for they were fishermen. 19 And he said to them, “Follow me, and I will make you fishers of men.” 20 Immediately they left their nets and followed him.

In John 1:35-42, 35 The next day again John was standing with two of his disciples, 36 and he looked at Jesus as he walked by and said, “Behold, the Lamb of God!” 37 The two disciples heard him say this, and they followed Jesus. 38 Jesus turned and saw them following and said to them, “What are you seeking?” And they said to him, “Rabbi” (which means Teacher), “where are you staying?” 39 He said to them, “Come and you will see.” So they came and saw where he was staying, and they stayed with him that day, for it was about the tenth hour. 40 One of the two who heard John speak and followed Jesus was Andrew, Simon Peter's brother. 41 He first found his own brother Simon and said to him, “We have found the Messiah” (which means Christ). 42 He brought him to Jesus. Jesus looked at him and said, “You are Simon the son of John. You shall be called Cephas” (which means Peter).

From your hearts, if Jesus approached you and said, "follow me," how would you respond, back then or today?

No one word answers, please! Please allow others to learn from your detailed answers.

More to come....

If the Spirit revealed to me that a man with a following were indeed the Lamb of God,then I would follow him. Were it in his time or ours we are still required to follow him. Mt.16:24;19:21.
Mt. 10:38 And he that taken not his cross,and followeth after me is not worthy of me.

John10:27
My sheep hear my voice,and I know them,and they follow me.

Many women who followed Jesus from Galilee ministered to him. Mt.27:55

Jesus is the light.John 8:12.......,I am the light of the world: he that followeth me shall not walk in darkness,but shall have the light of life.

Jesus said he was the bread of life,the living waters as well, he appealed to that day and this offering all we crave light,bread, water and life.

We have this promise as well that he will go before us and be with us,he will not fail nor forsake us Deu.31:18. Yes this was said to the Israelites but is true today to us. Oh what a promise.

Some seek pleasures,riches,authority,popularity ect.,I seek peace.
Psalm 119:133
Order my steps in they word: and let NOT iniquity have dominion over me.

Ep.5:1
Be ye therefore FOLLOWERS of God as dear children. If we follow Jesus and serve Christ,we will receive honour of his Father.

I'll stop with this word.
John 8:31/32
THEN said Jesus to those Jews ( everybody that believes) which believed on him,If ye CONTINUE in my word,THEN YE ARE MY DISCIPLES INDEED; And ye shall know the truth,and the truth shall make you free.

Hello D3v;

Thank you for sharing. Good stuff! Do you teach or have you taught Bible studies or Sunday school?

I agree with you and have question. In Matthew 27:55 many women did follow Jesus and ministered to Him including Mary Magdalene.

So when they ministered to Him it wasn't necessarily preaching but caring for His needs. I get asked, what kind of caring?

Through the years I also read somewhere that the Apostles at times didn't get along with Mary Magdalene, but I don't see this in Scripture.

Anyone's thoughts?

Thank you. Yes I started teaching babies in nursery when I was 20 and moved up to mixed adults ( married and single 20 and up) through all age limits for about 17 yrs.

Yes I believe they fed and clothed and made sure he had a place to lay his head.

I'm not sure I've ever heard that. The WORD says he cast 7 demons out of her, Mk.16:9,
I have heard this was Mary Magdalene, who annointed his feet with spikenard and washed his feet with her tears. Luke 7:37, Mt.26:7. Jesus rebukes the disciples that complained against her saying she anointed his body to the burying.Mk.14:3-9
Mk 16:1 We see her here also after the sabbath, anointing his body with spices.

Back