JESUS

'I appeal to you, brothers and sisters, in the name of our Lord Jesus Christ, that all of you agree with one another in what you say and that there be no divisions among you, but that you be perfectly united in mind and thought. My brothers and sisters, some from Chloe’s household have informed me that there are quarrels among you. What I mean is this: One of you says, “I follow Paul”; another, “I follow Apollos”; another, “I follow Cephas ”; still another, “I follow Christ.” Is Christ divided? Was Paul crucified for you? Were you baptized in the name of Paul? I thank God that I did not baptize any of you except Crispus and Gaius, so no one can say that you were baptized in my name. (Yes, I also baptized the household of Stephanas; beyond that, I don’t remember if I baptized anyone else.) For Christ did not send me to baptize, but to preach the gospel—not with wisdom and eloquence, lest the cross of Christ be emptied of its power. '

1 Corinthians 1:10-17

https://www.bible.com/bible/111/1CO.1.10-17

As humans, many of us tend to follow other humans who we deem as respectable and have taught us some valuable information. We may have disputes on whose viewpoints are right or wrong. However, Christ is not divided, and He was the only one who was crucified for us and died for our sin. He is the only one who can save. We are not here to promote ourselves and to be widely accepted and followed. We are here to point others to Jesus that they may follow Him and be saved. It does not matter how wise and eloquent someone’s speech is, because if it is not the Truth, it will not lead to salvation and changed lives. To Jesus be ALL the glory, honor, and power!!! Humans are simply His messengers.

Thank you Lovekr07 for posting another important Bible passage.

But when I read the words from that song I became concerned.
Because I don't know the song I did a bit of research.
Here is just one of several things I found:

"The song's title makes use of the American slang term "just alright", which during the 1960s was used to describe something that was considered cool or hip" (Wikipedia)

That grieves me.
The Bible doesn't describe Jesus with such slang words
Our Savior is infinitely more then we can ever describe Him.

We have a savior who hang on that old rugged cross to pay the price for our sins so He could save us, even a wretch like me.
Oh, may we get to know and love Him even more and more, this side of heaven.

That old rugged cross

Thank you Lovekr07 for posting another important Bible passage. But when I read the words from that song I became concerned.
Because I don't know the song I did a bit of research. Here is just one of several things I found: "The song's title makes use of the American slang term "just alright", which during the 1960s was used to describe something that was considered cool or hip" (Wikipedia) That grieves me. The Bible doesn't describe Jesus with such slang words Our Savior is infinitely more then we can ever describe Him. We have a savior who hang on that old rugged cross to pay the price for our sins so He could save us, even a wretch like me. Oh, may we get to know and love Him even more and more, this side of heaven.

Good morning, Sola gratia;

The statement "just alright"
was sung and explained by the Doobies during a much different time period in the late 60s and 70s. You and I come from that same generation.

The band originated in San Jose, CA, and though they performed before some early tough crowds, bikers, Black Panthers movement, hippies, the Jesus Movement, etc...there was such a mixed bag of world issues much like it has evolved today, just a different time.

The band never spoke
religion verbiage or statements to their audience, (or each other,) only their music spoke which their audience enjoyed and still enjoy today.

I do understand what you're expressing. Jesus deserves better praise than "just alright." Everyday I express my highest adulation of Him.

From a different angle I have a personal issue with Christians who use Christianese to those who are not yet grounded in their faith and hearing Biblical expressions for the first time.
"Walking in the Light" or "being salt and light to others" distort the meaning of the language thus divide people who don't grasp these sayings.

Over all, I don't know if the Doobies are Bible students but they didn't mean any disrespect to my Christian faith but was only attempting to give a positive message.

God bless
you, Sola gratia.

Thank you Bob for the reply
It still grieves me, even a bit more now.
So I would just like to add some final thoughts to this discussion.

I'm guided by the word of God, not by the culture around me.
I can not accept if someone uses slang words to describe my Savior, ie I can never accept that song.

David Wilkerson also lived during that time.
He preached the true Christ and the full counsel of God
God honored it and did a mighty work through him.

Paul also preached in different cultures and difficult times. And yet he wrote:
2 But though we had already suffered and been shamefully treated at Philippi, as you know, we had boldness in our God to declare to you the gospel of God in the midst of much conflict. 3 For our appeal does not spring from error or impurity or any attempt to deceive, 4 but just as we have been approved by God to be entrusted with the gospel, so we speak, not to please man, but to please God who tests our hearts. 5 For we never came with words of flattery, as you know, nor with a pretext for greed—God is witness. 6 Nor did we seek glory from people (1 Thess. 2v2-6a ESV)

I leave it at that.
May the Lord give us a deeper understanding
Blessings

Good morning, Sola gratia;

Thank you for your gentle manner and the way you articulate your beliefs, feelings and thoughts is much appreciated.

I hope we (all) can have these kinds of conversations when reading posts, listening and learning from each other. This is a good witness to new believers on the world wide public.

I do remember Pastor David Wilkerson of Interdenominational Times Square Church and Teen Challenge. The Elder of our Church's first ministry was at Teen Challenge when he served in New York City. He's now 81 and is taken care of in a healthcare facility. When I visit him I'll ask if he attended Times Square Church.

By Grace Alone.

God bless you, brother.

Bob

Isn't that so nice when that happens???

Good morning, In Awe of Him;

There was a time during our missionary trip we were stopped at the border. The soldier came up to our van and gave an intimidating stare at me.

There was a potential divide that Lovekr07 was sharing. Had I pushed back on the soldier with my stare it would have divided us. Instead, I remembered the passage in Psalm 27:1,

Of David. The LORD is my light and my salvation— whom shall I fear? The LORD is the stronghold of my life— of whom shall I be afraid? - NIV

Very simple verse but it came from the Lord and spoke to me at that moment. I gave a respectful smile back at the soldier as he maintained his intimidating stare at me. After the border checked our passports they let us through. As our van passed the soldier stood there and smiled back at me.

The Lord revealed a light between him and me instead of a divide.

God bless you, sister.

bobinfaith... I wish I had a positive border crossing story to tell you but I don't.
My reaction to RUDE behaviour in the few times I tried to cross from Canada to US
was to NOT be so kind... and by not being so kind and gracious... I believe I got red flagged.
My experiences were NOT pleasant and I was NOT in a good place.

That was over twenty years ago. I had a ticket to fly to Wisconsin... and in Toronto
some young man decided that because I was on medication for depression that I could
not come in. I think what actually occurred was that I was RED FLAGGED and was NOT
informed that I would be denied entry until I tried to come for a visit again.

OH DEAR.... NOT a happy story but it is the truth. This is something I have not yet forgiven. HA.
I would never attempt to enter the United States... and I am unable to walk into the Toronto Pearson
Airport due to the traumatic experience I had. I remember just hiding behind a garbage can bawling
my face off because I could not visit my friend who I thought was dying. Someone finally explained to
me that what I needed to do was go to the airline that my return ticket was for and that they would fly
me back to where I came from.

bobinfaith... I wish I had a positive border crossing story to tell you but I don't.
My reaction to RUDE behaviour in the few times I tried to cross from Canada to US
was to NOT be so kind... and by not being so kind and gracious... I believe I got red flagged.
My experiences were NOT pleasant and I was NOT in a good place.

That was over twenty years ago. I had a ticket to fly to Wisconsin... and in Toronto
some young man decided that because I was on medication for depression that I could
not come in. I think what actually occurred was that I was RED FLAGGED and was NOT
informed that I would be denied entry until I tried to come for a visit again.

OH DEAR.... NOT a happy story but it is the truth. This is something I have not yet forgiven. HA.
I would never attempt to enter the United States... and I am unable to walk into the Toronto Pearson
Airport due to the traumatic experience I had. I remember just hiding behind a garbage can bawling
my face off because I could not visit my friend who I thought was dying. Someone finally explained to
me that what I needed to do was go to the airline that my return ticket was for and that they would fly
me back to where I came from.

Hello, In Awe of Him;

Though this happened over 20 years ago you faced a sad experience. Many of us have also had unfortunate, very unfair circumstances that broke our hearts.

When I look back at other things that happened in my Christian walk, some "thoughts" still make me cringe. Through the years there were times when I was the one unfair to others and wondered, how did they feel?

Years later I've gone up to others and asked their forgiveness for my behavior and most don't even remember. A couple of them did remember and they appreciated it but others had forgotten all about it until I brought it up. YIKES!

But through God's healing and lessons learned from both sides He got me past them. Back then I couldn't say that the Love of Jesus was in me but I am closer to proclaiming that today.

God bless you, In Awe of Him.

But through God's healing and lessons learned from both sides He got me past them. Back then I couldn't say that the Love of Jesus was in me but I am closer to proclaiming that today.
Thankfully... I do believe that if it were TODAY.... I would have a different story to tell Bob.

My big mouth and defending others or myself from the "arrogant bully" has been like the thorn in my side.
I always pray now before I go out in public for God to just shut my mouth if I come across an unpleasant situation.
It's a DISCIPLINE in my opinion. and... YES... you can teach an old dog new tricks... HAHA.

GOD is so GOOD... He is always working to perfect us.

Thank you Bob for what you add to the forums... Your humility and compassion towards others does NOT go unnoticed.

Last edited:
Back