John’s Gospel-reflection

Chapter 1
In the beginning. The connection to Genesis 1:1 would have been obvious to its first audience. the Jewish national who wrote this gospel, was appealing to his own people. They knew the word ‘in the beginning’ (bereshit), off by heart.

Jesus (The Word) was in the beginning-with God. He pre-existed before time began, before His incarnation (John 17:5). once creation had begun, all things were made ‘through’ Him.

In Genesis 1, the word for ‘God (Elohim)’ is plural. ‘Let ‘Us’ make man in ‘Our’ own own image, and breath life into him. The trinity were there ‘in the beginning’, in Genesis 1.

John the Baptist May have been sanctified from the womb, not unlike Jeremiah. We are told after Jesus’ transfiguration that ‘elijah ‘has already come’, John came in the spirit of elijah. The Jews would have recognised the similarities of elijah and John, in his lifestyle.

His teaching was straight to the point. Not what we might fondly call ‘tough love’ but actually harsh, or even downright rude. John wasn’t worried about keeping up appearances.

(Remember, John was imprisoned, then beheaded, for rebuking Herod (herodias). Once his job was done, he handed over the mantle, to The beloved One ‘preferred before himself’.)

The lamb of God was announced the very next day. The Spirit had specifically revealed Jesus as The One, to John, (the very same that had visited John in the womb, causing him to leap with joy at his first, albeit, spiritually, meeting with The Saviour of the world). John’s revelation now recognised the righteous One in His physical presence, of whom The Holy Spirit had now alighted and remained upon. Forever.

The Lamb of God, Who Himself baptises with The Spirit of Holiness (Filioque).

The One, Who takes away the sin of the world...

This was the sin, brought on by the fall of the first two of mankind, Adam and Eve. Eve was deceived, Adam sinned. They both rebelled against their creator, haven’t we all? Jesus, as creator, takes that away. How much more can His propitiation do? (Romans 5).

Sins are also taken away. Past sins, present sins. Life controlling addictions. The new creation in Christ Jesus’ Holy Spirit can, and does experience deliverance. All Glory to The Lord.

John the Baptist said, ‘I did not know Him’. We know that John was related to Jesus, and perhaps had heard ‘of’ Him as a child. (perhaps his elderly parents had died and he’d been orphaned (Luke 1:80), or even raised in a devout sect https://sjvlaydivision.org/john-the-baptist-essenes/

According to Luke 1:36, Mary and Elizabeth were related, It doesn’t say that they were cousins. The Lord Jesus, and the Baptist were related, but not raised together. There was no MySpace, social media, e-mail, post, etc. Today, even with all of these communication platforms, we have relatives, who we actually don’t know anything about.

Andrew was the first to search out ‘The Lamb of God’ as pointed out by John. There was ‘another’ disciple with Andrew, and They had both been disciples of John. Was the other person Philip? Probably not according to v.43

‘We have found Him!’. They were already looking for ‘The’ Messiah. How wonderful, when we actually find what we’re looking for. For them it had been a lifelong search. Jesus wasn’t a new fad or ideology. It wasn’t just a ‘religious’ experience. They ‘knew’ He was expected because of Moses and the prophets, probably even more so, because of the prophecy in Daniel?

Nathaniel was the first to recognise Jesus’ divinity. There was no deceit in him. It was just as he said. Something personal had happened between them ‘under the fig tree’. no other sign was needed, Nathaniel was all in.

Numbers 6:24-26

Hello Choose life;

Thank you for sharing John's Gospel reflection. I love the way you outlined the study and I'd like to respond.

First, from the beginning is who Jesus is, with and from His mission it all equates to each other. Since the day I first believed Genesis 1:1 I will believe the entire Word of God.

Since the womb of John the Baptist, he was already sanctified and destined for service to God but John knew his life would not be simple or safe to the point of death.

Personally, knowing how my life will end would be valuable information. But with John it didn't matter; he would still serve God which was more important. Question is, whom shall we serve, ourselves or God? This is a lesson we all will learn who follow Jesus in our lifetime.

When John the Baptist publicly proclaimed Jesus as the Messiah, it prepared the way for Jesus to call out His first disciple, Andrew. The preparation continues today, as Jesus continues to call out His disciples.

When I received Jesus as my Lord and Savior, knowing where the Lord would lead me is also valuable information. But I didn't, and like all of us who walk with the Lord, it's amazing that despite my horrible setbacks, bad folly and decisions that I brought upon myself, would He guide me to this point today.

I've got some things that I am challenged with today in
my spirit of battle and peace. But no matter what, God is constant, God is consistent just from the book of Numbers 6:24-26, I'm thankful that He is with me during my storms and good seasons filled with His never ending favor and embrace in those I pray for and myself.

God bless
you, Choose life.

The book of John is actually my favorite book in the Gospels.

John tells us through Christ that Christ is the Word of God who has been around from the beginning of time. In that very first verse John makes it plain that Jesus is God and he tells us that Christ is the expression or words of God. Through Christ's words, life and other means of revelation we come to know truth and God's way.

Thanks Choose life for your own reflections on this first book of John.

The book of John is actually my favorite book in the Gospels.

John tells us through Christ that Christ is the Word of God who has been around from the beginning of time. In that very first verse John makes it plain that Jesus is God and he tells us that Christ is the expression or words of God. Through Christ's words, life and other means of revelation we come to know truth and God's way.

Thanks Choose life for your own reflections on this first book of John.

Hello Chuck;

When Jesus was on the cross, why did He choose John to care for his mother? In my study of John I'm still digging deeper to understand why, other than John being the disciple Jesus loved.

God bless you, brother.

Hello Chuck;

When Jesus was on the cross, why did He choose John to care for his mother? In my study of John I'm still digging deeper to understand why, other than John being the disciple Jesus loved.

God bless you, brother.

In my opinion it is because God gave a greater gift of love to John. Not much is said on the matter other than that John lived a long life and was not martyred as the others were.

John Chapter 2 (a)

Who doesn’t love a good wedding? They had all been invited to Cana. Nathaniel, having been promised he would see ‘greater things’ was obviously going to be there. The others, Andrew, Cephas, Philip, and ‘another’ disciple made a group of around five male followers at this point.

I recently noticed that Jesus didn’t force them to follow Him. They were already searching for Him. The Messiah simply accepted them. I hope this can be a lesson to us. Have you ever, like me, attempted to coerce, or pressurise someone into coming to The Lord, When they’re not willing or able? (and really, it was to make our own lives easier).

There’s no mention of John the Baptist being invited. his mission was fulfilled. Would he even have been missed at the wedding? His disciples had moved on, as per his instructions, in fairness. What a happy clappy, prosperous life John led.

Jesus’ mother entered. Her attempt to solve the wine issue, was met with, what appears to be, indifference from her Son. His ‘hour had not yet come’. Nevertheless, she knew Him, knew what he was capable of. After all, didn’t she know, better than anyone, that ‘with God, all things were possible’?

Either Jesus rose to the challenge, or this was already in His plan, so why He hesitated, or relented is anybody’s guess.

The ‘outsiders’ in all of this, the lowly servants, witnessed His ‘beginning of signs’. The feast master was oblivious.
Mary prepared them, for probably the most amazing thing that they would ever witness in their lives. How did this affect them? Did they leave all and become followers too? Would anybody apart from the six others ever believe them?
We’re they forever transformed too?

The six waterpots, almost 200 gallons of water was ‘transformed’ into fermented wine-by Jesus-in a split second. A chemical feat that usually takes at least four weeks, and thats nowhere near long enough for ‘good wine’. Good wine can take anything up to ten months!

His new followers didn’t just believe in Him now, they knew that there was more to Him, that met the eye. His mother already knew.

What about His younger brothers? who seemed to join them for the sixteen plus mile trip the next day. maybe they had been at the wedding too, maybe not.
They didn’t believe in Him before His first ‘sign’, nor after the others, which were too numerous to record (John 7:5).

the signs weren’t actually for anyone at the wedding party. They were a physical manifestation of His divine glory-to show that, not only could He master the art of chemistry, but that He was master and Lord over all creation. his followers would eventually see that ‘Even the wind and the waves obeyed Him’.

All this happened on only the third day since The Baptist’s public ‘Lamb of God’ ID. The third day. Sound familiar? Later, Jesus would be comparing His impending death to a type of baptism, which He wanted done, ASAP (Luke 12:50).

His next Passover trip, of almost eighty miles, was a solemn reminder of where He would be spending His final days in just three years. He headed to where He would be finishing His labour. Imagine how depressing this journey was? And we think we know what depression feels like...

At the end of John 2 we get an inkling of something about miracles and a common misconception of men.

John 2:23-25 Now when he was in Jerusalem at the passover, in the feast day, many believed in his name, when they saw the miracles which he did. 24 But Jesus did not commit himself unto them, because he knew all men, 25 And needed not that any should testify of man: for he knew what was in man. (KJV)

How often have we heard said, "Where is God?" Men look for proof of God's existence many times in the form of miracles. Yet, Ancient Israel and the Jews at the time of Christ saw many miracles and yet still didn't truly believe that Christ was God or the Messiah. Christ knew this about men. Christ knew how fleeting this kind of belief can be.

The Gospel records how many who saw these miracles left later, even Peter who constantly witnessed Christ's miracles denied him three times at the end of Christ life. True faith doesn't come from within man, but rather is a gift that God gives.

Chapter 2 (b)

it was the instituted Passover, This may have been the first trip to Jerusalem, as an adult for Jesus. Or, maybe He went every year. (Luke 2:41 Now his parents went to Jerusalem every year at the feast of the passover).

He immediately proceeded to purge the temple:-imagine if somebody turned up at church and did what He did? I wonder what today’s church leaders would do. I’m pretty sure that the cops would be called, and He would be carted off to a mad house. The ‘WWJD’ wristbands contain a whole new meaning when we read this passage.

I often felt sorry for the animals in this passage, but maybe they were secretly cheering Him on. I wonder how many escaped to live another day. Particularly the doves.

‘The Zeal for Your house has consumed Me’. (Ps. 69:9)
Have we ever been so consumed by anger that we’ve lashed out?
What about Righteous anger? Is there any excuse for it?
Does God overlook anger or hatred in the heart? No He doesn’t! we’ve been told that we ‘will be guilty of ‘the judgment’ if we are angry with our brother (without a cause)’. What then, if there is a cause? Is it possible to love people when we’re angry with them?
In this case, we would need divine healing to love even our enemies. But, ‘With God, all things are possible’.

The scripture says, ‘be angry and do not sin’. (Eph. 4:26)
Jesus was angry that they had turned His Father’s house into a ‘den of thieves’. There must have been dishonesty among the money changers, ‘doing business’ -there still is.
Merchandise - trading.
He Spoke to the dove sellers. They were making money from peoples sacrifices. And poor peoples sacrifices st that. Indulgences being sold by the church, springs to mind. Maybe Luther had a point.

They wanted a sign? His resurrection was the sign, and they still wouldn’t (or couldn’t) believe. The evidence (historical and logical) for Jesus dying, and rising again is overwhelming, yet people still refuse to believe. Is it because people actually want to go to hell? Perhaps they don’t believe that hell actually exists...
..according to Jesus, it does. (Matt 10:28)

Destroy this temple. Jesus was referring to Himself as the temple-The audacity! But this building had taken forty six years! (and the rest-zerubbabel, Sheshbazzar?) Jesus was publicly pronouncing The Father, as HIS Father, not theirs. He would go on later to tell them who their father was. (John 8:44)

His disciples believed in Him through the scripture. Faith comes by hearing The Word of God. There are many who claim their faith came, via other means. In my own experience, faith, in Jesus, as The Almighty, came through the reading of the gospel of John.

Many believed when they saw His signs. How many actually stayed the distance? He knew all men (humanity). Didn't need us, didn't trust us, yet still sacrificed Himself for us.

Chapter 3

Born again
This has always been the most difficult chapter for me. I would probably ask the same questions as nicodemus? How can one be born again?
Nicodemus was a qualified teacher, yet addressed Jesus as rabbi or teacher. The sanhedrin knew that Jesus was unlearned, so why call Him rabbi? Nicodemus reveals that even with all his quals, he doesnt qualify to be a teacher of Israel, because of his lack of understanding. Everybody wants to be a leader, nobody wants to be a doorkeeper.
They knew that God was with Him, because of the miracles. Yet a 'wicked and adulterous generation seek after a sign'. They had no idea.

Having believed that Jesus is God, and been baptised in water, i have to ask myself, what about The Spirit-what more should I be doing?
Do I have even one of the nine fruits? The Spirit of holiness, is just that. Thats what He does. He makes believers holy, and if not, why not? The scary thing is; We cannot see The Kingdom of heaven without The Spirit of holiness.

Human birth is a huge transition, so should being born of The Holy Spirit be any less? What are we expecting? whirlwinds, earthquakes, or a still small voice. I believe that when one is born again, of The Spirit, they will know.

Jesus said that He came down from heaven. Straight to the point. From the same place as God Himself!
And as Moses (who the sanhedrin really worshipped) lifted the snake to absolve the peoples sins, so Jesus would be doing the same. Once, for all.

For God so loved the world...everyone's favourite feelgood verse, but there is a caveat, its only through faith in Jesus. There's no other way to The Father. There is no damnation for those 'in' Christ Jesus. For those outside of Him, there is.

The flesh loves the darkness. Life is a constant bombardment of temptation. Coming to the light of the world, Jesus, exposes the darkness, and He can deal with anything we've done, no matter how wicked.

John the baptist, was still working himself to death, literally, yet they were all going to Jesus now! Anybody else would have felt a bit put out. John still gave all glory to his Lord, and joyfully. What a saintly example. He reiterated that Jesus was not 'earthly' but was from above, with the 'full' measure of The Spirit of Holiness.
The Father (Who is Spirit) favoured The Son, without Jesus, nobody can enter into heaven. The wrath of God abides on them.

John 4
Jesus didn't baptise. His disciples did. What He did baptise with, The twelve would find out later.

Samaria was the quickest route to galilee, but devout Jews would avoid it. The samaritans were considered 'unclean' half-breeds, often intermarrying with their own relatives. Yet Jesus needed to go there?

The plot of ground, was on the land where Abraham built his first altar to The Lord (Genesis 12:6-7). The Samaritans father's had worshipped on the same mountain. No wonder Jesus went that way. The samaritans didnt know Who or what they worshipped, they were probably all over the place, distracted by O/T rituals, and doctrines of men. Aren't we all? Does it really matter when, or where we worship? So long as we do, and that our worship is 'in truth'. The Lord had little patience for religiosity.

The woman came to get her water at noon, during the heat of the day, when it would have been deserted. She'd already had five husbands, so probably wasn't very popular with the other women of the village. She'd certainly been around. Jesus offered her olive leaf when he asked for a drink. Why? Did He even need a drink? He certainly didnt need any food. He, The Source of Living water.

She knew of Jacob, she knew the old testament. Is the Old Testament relevant today? if we don't believe Moses and the prophets, how will we believe in HIM. (Lk.16:31)... the prophets wrote of HIM.

She'd been married, a lot! Was she living in sin with her new man? Even more surprising then, that Jesus had any time for her. No wonder the disciples were surprised. Note that He didn't tell her to get married immediately, or tell her not to speak of Him until she was. Jesus never treated women as inferior, if only church leaders would follow His example.

At this point, she realised that He was a prophet (or seer). He knew all of her business, just like He knows all of ours. There is nothing hidden from Jesus The Almighty. So much more than a prophet- without honour? Jesus stated that He was also a prophet? People often quote this about themselves, when their message is rejected. There's an awful lot of prophets in the church isn't there? There were lots in the days of jeremiah too.

Why did He single her out? Was it her patience and faith! Rejected, she'd probably given up on people, and was waiting for her Messiah. It looks like she'd been waiting for Him for her whole life!
The Messiah, The Christ, What encouragement for us to "Wait on The Lord". (Ps. 27). It finally paid off. She met The Messiah face to face. 'I Who speak to you am He'. Can you imagine her reaction? No wonder she left her waterpot and went back to her village. She told the men (not the women?) and many believed because of her testimony. Never give up on sharing your testimony!

They came out to see Him, and many more believed, after He had stayed with them for a couple of days. Sometimes people beg Jesus to stay, others beg Him to leave (Matt. 8:34).
He doesnt force Himself on people. The Fields were white for harvest and many souls were saved in samaria. The mountain that they worshipped on, eventually became a Christian church. Hallelujah!

God is Spirit. Although Jesus revealed that our Father was not a physical being. Jesus is the only physical element of The Almighty (coloss. 1:15, John 10:30, John 14;6)

He'd had food...His food was to finish the work of His Father. As He stated on the cross "it is finished".

The Noble man son was divinely healed, by 'signs and wonders'. Perhaps this was the only way that the man would believe. Nevertheless, his persistence paid off and his son survived. The whole family believed as a result! Personally, I'm not a huge fan of 'Household salvation'. When push comes to shove, they still had to believe in Jesus, in order to be saved, We all do. They hadn't met Jesus, but believed through, guess what? Other peoples testimonies! 'blessed are they who believe who have not seen'.

John records that this divine healing was Jesus's second sign since the wedding.

John 5
Another feast, many have commented on which feast this was. Could it have been purim? A favourite among the Jews, lots of gluttony and wine-bibbing. Jesus went to the Jewish feasts. I wonder if He travelled via Samaria again.
Multitudes of sick and disabled people were at Bethesda or "house of mercy". (working with disabled people, although everyone says that it can be rewarding, more often than not, it's just plain exhausting). Jesus transforms/ed, people inside and out.

Verse four is not included in the NU text, so the angel stirring the water, was probably a Jewish superstition. The Lord's angels have a job, to bring His messages. Apparently, the 'sheep pool' was a mineral spring, which can rise up to twelve inches, within an hour, at least twice a day.

Jesus knew how long the man had been disabled. Wow! How on earth could He know that unless He was The Almighty? God, made into flesh. He knows all our infirmities.
Did the man want to be healed. What?
After almost four decades! he wouldn't have been at the pool in the first place, would he? we don't accept change though, do we?
Jesus, God of the impossible, made The man walk. Who had literally believed that he had to go into the water, to be healed, but by Jesus' word, he was healed, immediately aswell, Not gradually.The man had hadn't even heard of Jesus yet! Wasnt expecting signs and wonders.

It was done on the sabbath O-oh. The man hadn't long been rejoicing in his freedom, before the religious jumped on it, bursting his bubble. Have you ever noticed how the unsaved don't like seeing Christian's rejoicing in their deliverance? They don't like change either.

That warning to 'go and sin no more' is one we'd rather overlook. Nevertheless, that's what He said... Lest it be any worse! How could it be any worse? He'd been disabled for thirty eight years! How bad could his sins have been anyway? Surely he wasnt capable of anything physical- which begs the question, sins of the heart?

Is it OK for a Christian to continue to sin? Christians do, but is it acceptable to Jesus? Not according to His warnings. Thank The Lord that we do have an advocate, but this is by no means an excuse to continue in sin, God forbid! The Lord provides a way out, His grace is more than sufficient, do we/I resist sins unto blood?

Jesus' persecution began, as if He hadn't gone through enough rejection by His own family, who thought He was out of His mind, now thats loneliness (Mark 3:21). It reminds me of poor Joseph, and his brothers, who meant harm for him, but The Lord meant it for good.
The religious were actually plotting to kill Jesus! So blinded by their doctrines, they didnt even realise that they were actually breaking the sixth commandment of Moses! (who they trusted in apparently). Only in their hearts, so far, so I guess that wasn't as bad was it? This, within weeks of His ministry! I've been a Jesus believer for ten years, and still whinge when people are mean to me, let alone plot to kill me.

The Father raises the dead. Although they may kill Him, His Father is going to raise Him. "O death where is thy sting, or grave thy victory"?

Honour The Son, otherwise we won't be honouring The Father, because Jesus and The Father, are one (John 10:30).

Everlasting life. How do we get this? By hearing His word. Faith comes by the hearing of the word of God How do we do this today? By reading, and listening to HIS words.
We Need to make Jesus' words the centre of our study. We can't just focus on our favourite books, or authors, like Paul, or the odd psalm. Jesus's words are recorded for a reason, supernaturally, by The Spirit of Holiness (John 14:26) in four alternate accounts, at least two of which are eyewitnesses.

The atonement doesn't make sense if we don't read/listen to His Words.

John 6
Multitudes followed Him, because of the signs that He 'performed'. Have we ever followed people/preachers because of their performances? I had a wonderful pastor, he had 'the gift of the gab'. I believe that he was 'the real deal', but then I idolised him. Can we have a soul-tie to a preacher? Do we even believe in that sort of thing?

The passover was looming, imagine looking forward to an event, and dreading it at the same time? I've been to plenty of family gatherings like that. Christmas can be especially challenging.

Jesus was testing philip, why philip?
Remember, philip had been with Him right from the beginning, yet he still needed to be tested? In acts, Philip had to call for the elders to heal in samaria, why couldn't he do it himself?
We cannot put The Lord to the test, yet he can test us! Very clever. BUT, we are to 'test the spirits, whether they are from God'.

Apparently, 'There was a lad' there. this lad, probably gave away all of his family's food! I know what my family would have said, if i'd have done that?
I don't think this lad gets enough kudos.

Jesus may have helped out with the distribution of the food, to the five thousand (the NU text omits some of v.11) until they were all filled! It wouldn't surprise me if He'd got His hands dirty, after all, he did wash mere men's feet didn't He?
'He was made A little lower than the angels'?

Twelve baskets of leftovers. I once heard a lecturer comment that the number of baskets was irrelevant. Really? That taught me to test everything and not believe everything I hear from qualified 'fellows', no matter how full of wisdom they appear to be.
The twelve baskets were relevant.

The five thousand men (plus their families?), all recognised Jesus as a prophet. Did they know that He was priest and king and much more? (Mighty God, everlasting Father, Wonderful Counseller, Prince of Peace)

Jesus departed to be alone, just as He was becoming famous. Could we imagine any popular preacher wanting to do that today? That's usually when they start giving their 'prosperity' talks.

V.19 Jesus walks on the sea. For me, this was probably the most challenging of all of His miracles. I mean, a virgin pregnancy, and His resurrection, I could eventually get my head around, but this? Do I/we believe that Jesus actually walked on the sea? Lord I believe, help thou my unbelief...no wonder His followers were frightened when they saw Him!

Something supernatural was going on here. The boat was immediately at the shore. I had to acknowledge that there were quite a few 'supernatural' occurrences surrounding Jesus, like how He would 'disappear out of sight, when the religious leaders wanted to stone Him, or throw Him off a cliff etc.

I've always struggled with supernatural occurrences, as in, I find them unnerving. I'm not sure what to believe about supernatural happenings today because it gets mixed in with ghostly mahumbo jumbo. But, in the case of Jesus, I know that it happened. There's so much detail in The Gospels, that it has to be true. Deception likes to keep things brief.

The people who looked for Him, followed physical proof, not His signs. Seeing is believing. Jesus said 'Blessed are those who have not seen, yet believe.'

Works, why do we resort to works to get saved? I do it myself, all the while, yearning to hear the words "well done good and faithful servant". It's exhausting! Faith without works is dead, but I always say, works without faith is dead too. Here though, Jesus is saying that the works of God, is actually faith in Jesus The Christ, that's it! Jesus is the only one Who pleases God anyway, and He will not cast out anyone who comes to Him.

But, how are we to approach Him? In reverence? fear?
In chapter 6, Isaiah was 'undone', when he met The Lord. He is that holy.

Communion. Bread and drink, flesh and blood. Transubstantiation? consubstantiation? Whew!
These are hard sayings for me, never mind the disciples, and many did turn back. How many times have we wanted to turn back, because its just so hard? Backsliding seems to be a common word in evangelical churches. I know I've done it, and if it wasn't for the knowledge inside that Jesus is The Way The Truth and The Life...to eternity.
The Christ, foretold for centuries before. I would have probably given up...

Apparently Judas was a devil, Already? Well he was stealing from the purse wasnt he?, so?

It was also in this chapter Jesus threw a curve ball offending many followers....

John 6:43-45 (KJV) Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

John 6:64-66 (KJV) But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

It was also in this chapter Jesus threw a curve ball offending many followers....

John 6:43-45 (KJV) Jesus therefore answered and said unto them, Murmur not among yourselves. No man can come to me, except the Father which hath sent me draw him: and I will raise him up at the last day. It is written in the prophets, And they shall be all taught of God. Every man therefore that hath heard, and hath learned of the Father, cometh unto me.

John 6:64-66 (KJV) But there are some of you that believe not. For Jesus knew from the beginning who they were that believed not, and who should betray him. And he said, Therefore said I unto you, that no man can come unto me, except it were given unto him of my Father. From that time many of his disciples went back, and walked no more with him.

Hello crossnote;

I remember hearing a sermon in 1995 and my pastor said Jesus did offend many...That was the first time I ever heard that and at the time I didn't understand why.

John's Gospel - reflection and what you pointed out in John 6:43-66 is what we do as believers, murmur, struggle with believing, emotionally reactive, gossip, etc...

Jesus knew this about Judas Iscariot. Judas thought (believed instead) that Jesus was going to form a rebellion against the Romans and re-establish an independent kingdom of Israel. There are many theories about Judas' motives but I feel he became discouraged when Jesus' revealed this was not His fulfillment.

Throughout John's gospel he wrote that Jesus' Truth would offend us. Let's put it this way. It offended me but the more I study the Bible His Truth always makes a way of turning me around from rebellious ways to a repentant heart.

Your thoughts?

Hello crossnote;

I remember hearing a sermon in 1995 and my pastor said Jesus did offend many...That was the first time I ever heard that and at the time I didn't understand why.

John's Gospel - reflection and what you pointed out in John 6:43-66 is what we do as believers, murmur, struggle with believing, emotionally reactive, gossip, etc...

Jesus knew this about Judas Iscariot. Judas thought (believed instead) that Jesus was going to form a rebellion against the Romans and re-establish an independent kingdom of Israel. There are many theories about Judas' motives but I feel he became discouraged when Jesus' revealed this was not His fulfillment.

Throughout John's gospel he wrote that Jesus' Truth would offend us. Let's put it this way. It offended me but the more I study the Bible His Truth always makes a way of turning me around from rebellious ways to a repentant heart.

Your thoughts?
Bob, funny thing, I never associated Jesus words above ('no man can come to be unless the Father draw him") with Judas Iscariot.
I have usually associated it as a rebuke to the proud, self righteous, elites and pedigree ladened who believe God owes eternal life to them instead of seeing it a privilege wrought out of Divine mercy. Perhaps that is why many then ceased following Him?

Last edited:
Bob, funny thing, I never associated Jesus words above ('no man can come to be unless the Father draw him") with Judas Iscariot.
I have usually associated it as a rebuke to the proud, self righteous, elites and pedigree ladened who believe God owes eternal to them instead of seeing it a privilege wrought out of Divine mercy. Perhaps that is why many then ceased following Him?

He wasn't the only one offended!

I have usually associated it as a rebuke to the proud, self righteous, elites and pedigree ladened who believe God owes eternal life to them instead of seeing it a privilege wrought out of Divine mercy. Perhaps that is why many then ceased following Him?

correct,...

(Joh 6:66) As a result of this many of His disciples withdrew and were not walking with Him anymore.

He wasn't the only one offended!

Hello crossnote;

Yes, you are correct and I agree. My point is, aside from Jesus speaking to the crowd, He knew the hearts and attitudes of all who were there, including His disciples who were also present. There were issues amongst themselves and as you added, withdrew from Jesus. I also felt the disciple Judas' suppositions about the eventful purpose of Jesus was in the mix which would lead him to his betrayal.

Hello Decoder;

Yes, he wasn't the only one offended.

Back