Jonah 1:12-14

Jonah 1:12-14 King James Version (KJV)
12 And he said unto them, Take me up, and cast me forth into the sea; so shall the sea be calm unto you: for I know that for my sake this great tempest is upon you.

13 Nevertheless the men rowed hard to bring it to the land; but they could not: for the sea wrought, and was tempestuous against them.

14 Wherefore they cried unto the Lord, and said, We beseech thee, O Lord, we beseech thee, let us not perish for this man's life, and lay not upon us innocent blood: for thou, O Lord, hast done as it pleased thee.

Jonah 1:12-14 International Children’s Bible (ICB)

12 Jonah said to them, “Pick me up, and throw me into the sea. Then it will calm down. I know it is my fault that this great storm has come on you.”

13 Instead, the men tried to row the ship back to the land. But they could not. The wind and the waves of the sea were becoming much stronger.

Jonah’s Punishment
14 So the men cried to the Lord, “Lord, please don’t let us die because of taking this man’s life. Please don’t think we are guilty of killing an innocent man. Lord, you have caused all this to happen. You wanted it this way.”

International Children’s Bible (ICB) The Holy Bible, International Children’s Bible® Copyright© 1986, 1988, 1999, 2015 by Tommy Nelson™, a division of Thomas Nelson. Used by permission.

These are my thought, please share yours.

12 Jonah didn’t want them to suffer because of them, he also didn’t want to have them turn around the boast, them sailing back to where Jonah was meant to go would have stopped the storm as well most likely but he still didn’t want to go.

13 They tried to do what they could because throwing a man overboard was crazy, that is because if Jonah told them to make a uturn and take him to Ninevah, then God’s wrath on him would pass. We can bring others down when we rebel against the Lord.

14 They didn’t want God to be angry with them, this should have been something Jonah was concerned with. They submit to God because of the influence of the storm but they should have been influenced by Jonah but because he was running from God they couldn’t.

Back