Jonah 4:1-3

Jonah 4:1-3 King James Version (KJV)
4 But it displeased Jonah exceedingly, and he was very angry.

2 And he prayed unto the Lord, and said, I pray thee, O Lord, was not this my saying, when I was yet in my country? Therefore I fled before unto Tarshish: for I knew that thou art a gracious God, and merciful, slow to anger, and of great kindness, and repentest thee of the evil.

3 Therefore now, O Lord, take, I beseech thee, my life from me; for it is better for me to die than to live.

Jonah 4:1-3 International Children’s Bible (ICB)
God’s Mercy Makes Jonah Angry

4 But Jonah was very unhappy that God did not destroy the city. He was angry. 2 He complained to the Lord and said, “I knew this would happen. I knew it when I was still in my own country. It is why I quickly ran away to Tarshish. I knew that you are a God who is kind and shows mercy. You don’t become angry quickly. You have great love. I knew you would rather forgive than punish them. 3 So now I ask you, Lord, please kill me. It is better for me to die than to live.”

International Children’s Bible (ICB) The Holy Bible, International Children’s Bible® Copyright© 1986, 1988, 1999, 2015 by Tommy Nelson™, a division of Thomas Nelson. Used by permission.

These are my thoughts, please share yours.

1Jonah had did what God told him to do but his heart was still on the boat running from God. Jonah just went thru the motions of service and never had the heart for it, it left him bitter and angry.

2 Jonah wanted God to judge these people rather then show them mercy. Jonah had so much hate and was making no attempt to ask God to purify his heart of the hate but he wanted to keep hold of it.

3 Jonah wanted to die because He didn’t judge the people Jonah wanted, instead of having a pure heart that allowed him to be uplifted he held hate and lived in the bitterness, we should be willing to do what God wants of us instead of running we need Him to change our hearts.

Back