JORDAN

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Which side of the Jordan river best typifies our Christian walk, wilderness side or Canaan?

The older theologians use to view Canaan as a type of heaven, whereas the newer ones see it more as an arena of victory in our walk, where you are still in the wilderness if you are battling with sin.

I favor the view that sees our walk as wilderness. Your thoughts?

I see this walk more like a wilderness as well. We live in a world filled with evil of many stripes in a sense a wasteland. We seek the kingdom of God and spend a lifetime in the journey. God walks with us on the journey because there are many obstacles and many things that might lead us off the narrow road.

Definitely a wilderness. Do easy to trip up. It must have been very scary when God got angry. He never left them altogether though. That always encourages me when I fo slip up. God has amazing patience and mercy. There was always a s prophet, a man of God, that The Lord used to bring them back to Him. We have The Holy Spirit. (And each other.)

Which side of the Jordan river best typifies our Christian walk, wilderness side or Canaan?

The older theologians use to view Canaan as a type of heaven, whereas the newer ones see it more as an arena of victory in our walk, where you are still in the wilderness if you are battling with sin.

I favor the view that sees our walk as wilderness. Your thoughts?

I agree!

Every day is an adventure.

To me, life is about ups and downs and the best we can expect is that we have an up day, and up week and end on an UP year!

The wilderness walk, as I had said some months ago, is a necessary element do discovering what each of us is made of. It's in that place where we walk or fall. If we think of using crutches, well, that don't work so well on sand and gravel, as some of you may know quite well.

Speaking of walking sticks, you should see the walking stick I use nowadays when on my exercise walks through the local neighborhood...it's a 1.5" diameter, 6 foot long, martial arts combat stick, made from VERY heavy, dense Hickory wood that can withstand some seriously powerful impacts. I carry it with me on walks because of the possibility I'd have to use that as a defense against any of the larger, meaner neighborhood dogs that might get out from their yards over or through the fences or gates left open...and there are some mean ones around too. That stick would put some serious hurting on those mutts if they dared pose a threat to me...and I know how to use combat sticks quite well. Being brained with one of those would likely adjust the mutts attitude toward me...if it survived...

The wilderness walk, as I had said some months ago, is a necessary element do discovering what each of us is made of. It's in that place where we walk or fall. If we think of using crutches, well, that don't work so well on sand and gravel, as some of you may know quite well.

Speaking of walking sticks, you should see the walking stick I use nowadays when on my exercise walks through the local neighborhood...it's a 1.5" diameter, 6 foot long, martial arts combat stick, made from VERY heavy, dense Hickory wood that can withstand some seriously powerful impacts. I carry it with me on walks because of the possibility I'd have to use that as a defense against any of the larger, meaner neighborhood dogs that might get out from their yards over or through the fences or gates left open...and there are some mean ones around too. That stick would put some serious hurting on those mutts if they dared pose a threat to me...and I know how to use combat sticks quite well. Being brained with one of those would likely adjust the mutts attitude toward me...if it survived...
I love your explanation of what happens to us in the wilderness. It sure takes a long time to get through it.
As to those dogs I think you are very brave. I think I would pick another place to walk.

P.E.T.A. would like to contact you. lol
Here, that stick of yours would come in handy for the defense from the two legged kind of canine.

I love your explanation of what happens to us in the wilderness. It sure takes a long time to get through it.
As to those dogs I think you are very brave. I think I would pick another place to walk.

Thanks, Cosia. Glad to share something that strikes a chord. I remember that moment when my wilderness journey first began. I looked up into the heavens, through the roof of the building, in the middle of a service, and asked the Lord if what was all around me was all we are as Christians...if this was the sum total of who we are as representatives of Christ.

Little did I know what I was asking, and my, my, it has been a journey through a wilderness that forced me to cast aside the crutches of religious institutionalism to see what I was really made of as a man of faith...or lack thereof.

Wow. I've become a desert dweller, and yet still walk among people, getting some of the dust on them as well...

MM

P.E.T.A. would like to contact you. lol
Here, that stick of yours would come in handy for the defense from the two legged kind of canine.

Um, yes. That too was part of the plan given some of the characters in these neighborhoods around here who do lots of drinking on weekends, and I suspect there's a crack house up the road given the chemical smells I've encountered in that area on my walks...strong enough to almost bowl me over in the roadway it was so powerful. I figured calling the police wouldn't do any good since they're now looked down upon by culture.

So, I tend to back-stoke often in order to walk on both sides of the Jordan at different times...

MM

Amen brother.

I also use a very large walking cane. My brother in law and I walk 2 miles a day around the neighborhood. We both carry walking sticks because there are about 20 "Widows" who live along the route and we always want to be able to fight them off!

Um, yes. That too was part of the plan given some of the characters in these neighborhoods around here who do lots of drinking on weekends, and I suspect there's a crack house up the road given the chemical smells I've encountered in that area on my walks...strong enough to almost bowl me over in the roadway it was so powerful. I figured calling the police wouldn't do any good since they're now looked down upon by culture.

So, I tend to back-stoke often in order to walk on both sides of the Jordan at different times...

MM

That is some neighborhood!!!!

Glad all I have to contend with it "Widows"!

Amen brother.

I also use a very large walking cane. My brother in law and I walk 2 miles a day around the neighborhood. We both carry walking sticks because there are about 20 "Widows" who live along the route and we always want to be able to fight them off!

Well, I'm ugly enough that I've never had a problem with being chased by pretty girls, but older widows...I dared take my grandmother to a Bingo parlor once when I was 25, and was introduced to a 93 year old woman who was still sprite and walking around like any other older woman. I was told that she once lived across the street from us when I was a baby. She said she actually held me as a baby, but doubted she could hold me at 25. Looking me up and down, she said that, had she been 60 years younger, she'd "...take you for a tumble in the hay..."

My mom, standing there in the conversation, told me later that the look on my face was so priceless...the horror and shock on my face must have been something to behold. All the widows and bingo parlor mommas who had gathered around all cackled and jabbed each other in the ribs over that one.

Needless to say, I advised my grandmother that I would likely not be able to bring her to that place any more from that night onward...because of my exposing her to such "bad influences." I can't see the attraction to going to such places, to be around such people...unless I were going to minister Christ among a group who REALLY needed him, and that one did.

MM

Back