JUNIA

Good morning, Pastor Mayende;

Junia was a woman and though Romans states she was an apostle, Jesus didn't appear to her and was not one of the twelve.

This does not discount the importance of her service for Christ and why Paul included Junias in his thanksgiving. She was an example in the partnership of ministry between men and women of God, married couples and the importance of God's role for His women servants in the Bible.

God bless you, Pastor.

Just a brief add on from a reference note contained in the
New Living Translation Bible regarding "Junia" -

"Junia is a feminine name. Some late manuscripts accent the word so it reads Junias, a masculine name; still others read Julia (feminine)."

`

Both views have been argued.

Was Junia a woman?
The name Ἰουνίαν can either be a female name “Junia” or a contracted form of the male name Junianus, “Junias.” I think the evidence for Junia being a women is better.

(1) The feminine name Junia is very common in Latin (and the letter is to the Romans).

(2) According to Dan Wallace, there is only one example in the Greek literature (i.e. Epiphanius) where the masculine Junias is used as a contraction for Junianas. That mean the eight of the evidence is for the feminine form of the name.

(3) There also another husband and wide team in verse 3 (i.e. Prisca and Aquila). Thus it would be natural to group such teams together.

And was she really an apostle?
This idea is dependent upon the Greek phrase ἐπίσημοι ἐν τοῖς ἀποστόλοις (the key word being in bold).

Is it "outstanding among the apostles" or is it "esteemed by the apostles"? Again, both view have been argued and both views can be found in English translations.

The question is, is the term ἐπίσημος being used in a comparative sense or in an elative sense? This one, in my opinion, is more difficult to determine.

However, the real issue (for many) concerns whether or not Junia, being a female, was an apostle. The Greek word ἀπόστολος (i.e. apostle) can be used in a very narrow since (as referring only to the twelve) or in a very broad sense such as messenger or ambassador. Any scholarly lexicon can corroborate this.

Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 10.37.23 AM.png
See A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd Ed. p. 122.

Thus even if Junia was among the apostles it would be under the more broader understanding without extraordinary status.

Last edited:
Both views have been argued. The name Ἰουνίαν can either be a female name “Junia” or a contracted form of the male name Junianus, “Junias.” I think the evidence for Junia being a women is better. (1) The feminine name Junia is very common in Latin (and the letter is to the Romans). (2) According to Dan Wallace, there is only one example in the Greek literature (i.e. Epiphanius) where the masculine Junias is used as a contraction for Junianas. That mean the eight of the evidence is for the feminine form of the name. (3) There also another husband and wide team in verse 3 (i.e. Prisca and Aquila). Thus it would be natural to group such teams together. This idea is dependent upon the Greek phrase ἐπίσημοι ἐν τοῖς ἀποστόλοις (the key word being in bold).

Is it "outstanding among the apostles" or is it "esteemed by the apostles"? Again, both view have been argued and both views can be found in English translations.

The question is, is the term ἐπίσημος being used in a comparative sense or in an elative sense? This one, in my opinion, is more difficult to determine.

However, the real issue (for many) concerns whether or not Junia, being a female, was an apostle. The Greek word ἀπόστολος (i.e. apostle) can be used in a very narrow since (as referring only to the twelve) or in a very broad sense such as messenger or ambassador. Any scholarly lexicon can corroborate this.

View attachment 10772
See A Greek-English Lexicon of the New Testament, and Other Early Christian Literature, 3rd Ed. p. 122.

Thus even if Junia was among the apostles it would be under the more broader understanding without extraordinary status.

Hello Origen;

I agree both views have been argued. Dan Wallace's commentary opinion is interesting. I feel the Greek ἐπίσημος (apostle) gives very little or strong evidence that supports Junia's apostleship in Romans 16:7.

Apostle, aside from one who was and followed Jesus is also defined in various other important roles in ministry. (I support the former) so I choose to stand with the Scriptural Junia, a woman of God who did outstanding ministry and stood among the apostles.

There is a translation, the New Century Version that say Andronicus and Junia were very important apostles.

The bigger picture in Romans 16 was Paul's thanksgiving to the men and women of God who served with him.

God bless you, brother.

Lingual gymnastics seems to be at play when there is the thought that the grammar somehow allegedly points out Junia(s) being an apostle:

Romans 16:7 Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

That grammar doesn't lend to the idea of Junia(s) being an apostle, but simply someone who was noted BY the apostles; someone who was recognized BY the apostles as someone who had done great things in service to the Lord and the saints.

For a more scholastic overview, I will quote this:

"...Rom 16:7 should be taken. That the parallels discovered so far8 conform to our working hypothesis at least gives warrant to seeing Andronicus’ and Junia’s fame as that which was among the apostles. Whether the alternative view has semantic plausibility remains to be seen." (https://bible.org/article/junia-among-apostles-double-identification-problem-romans-167)

So, even among Greek scholars, there is room for doubt, and when there is doubt, leaping to the exact is premature, selective and subjective rather than allowing the evidence to lead us to the precise conclusion. Feministic theology, of course, will always fall headlong into the fallacies of uncertainty simply because of a pre-conceived worldview that is always slanted in their favor. No thanks. Too much of that nonsense in the world already.

MM

Hello Origen;

I agree both views have been argued. Dan Wallace's commentary opinion is interesting. I feel the Greek ἐπίσημος (apostle) gives very little or strong evidence that supports Junia's apostleship in Romans 16:7.

Apostle, aside from one who was and followed Jesus is also defined in various other important roles in ministry. (I support the former) so I choose to stand with the Scriptural Junia, a woman of God who did outstanding ministry and stood among the apostles.

There is a translation, the New Century Version that say Andronicus and Junia were very important apostles.

The bigger picture in Romans 16 was Paul's thanksgiving to the men and women of God who served with him.

God bless you, brother.
I was simply using Wallace to illustrate the two options\choices since both readings are possible according to Greek scholars. Nether option is a problem for me.

Last edited:
Kinsmen or Kinswoman?

Romans 16:7 KJV
Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Leviticus 18:12 KJV
Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.

Kinsmen or Kinswoman?

Romans 16:7 KJV
Salute Andronicus and Junia, my kinsmen, and my fellowprisoners, who are of note among the apostles, who also were in Christ before me.

Leviticus 18:12 KJV
Thou shalt not uncover the nakedness of thy father's sister: she is thy father's near kinswoman.
Two different languages.

The noun συγγενής (Rom. 16:7) translated as kinsmen is masculine plural. This is normal when both a male and female are group together.

In Lev 18:12 the key word is שְׁאֵר which means "flesh" and can refer to a relative. However, the whole thing is really a phrase not just one word.
Screen Shot 2024-04-06 at 8.00.20 PM.png
Dictionary of Classical Hebrew Vol. 8, p 221.

Last edited:
I was simply using Wallace to illustrate the two options\choices since both readings are possible according to Greek scholars. Nether option is a problem for me.

Hello brothers;

This is good stuff from everyone. Actually, I appreciate Origen referencing Dan Wallace. He is a good teacher and his commentary opinion did offer the two options.

All that is shared in this topic should be good information for Pastor Mayende.

God bless you all.

συγγενίς, ίδος, ἡ kinswoman, (female) relative (LU 1.36)
Interesting, συγγενής is translated 'cousin' in Luke1: 36
Yeah, the word does not mean "cousin" but "relative\kinsmen."

However, the Greek word for cousin (i.e. ἀνεψιός) does appears once in Col. 4:10.

"Aristarchus my fellow prisoner greets you, and Mark the cousin of Barnabas (concerning whom you have received instructions—if he comes to you, welcome him),"

Last edited:
Good morning, Pastor Mayende;

Junia was a woman and though Romans states she was an apostle, Jesus didn't appear to her and was not one of the twelve.

This does not discount the importance of her service for Christ and why Paul included Junias in his thanksgiving. She was an example in the partnership of ministry between men and women of God, married couples and the importance of God's role for His women servants in the Bible.

God bless you, Pastor.
What was her importance in Paul's ministry?

Yes, only the KJV translators seemed to have rendered συγγενίς as 'cousin' in Luke 1:36, the other versions have 'relative' (even though Mary and Elizabeth were cousins).
There is no doubt they were related. However, what is the the N.T. evidence they were in fact cousins?

According to Got Questions in 1611 the word for cousin could refer to someone who was merely a relative.

"The KJV word cousin, as interpreted by most modern readers, seems to mean that Mary and Elizabeth were daughters of siblings. But that’s not what the word cousin used to mean. In Early Modern English, cousin commonly had a much broader meaning than just “child of one’s aunt or uncle.” In fact, a “cousin” could be anyone outside of one’s immediate family."

Last edited:
Back