K-pop or not OK-pop?

bobinfaith

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Hello brothers and sisters;

I'm being "prudish" to this youth craze that caught my attention early last year. It's called K-pop (Korean Popular music.) The first time I watched this on video streams, it looked pure and very energetic watching these young adults (late teens and early 20s) dancing in sync and singing. The men and women are all very attractive, smart and they work very hard to develop their craft. These performers are at a very early age in the entertainment business, but they are very devoted to their profession.

I watched my niece who was 5 years old last year, glued to the TV while dancing and singing along. It looks very innocent but I learned that tickets to K-pop concerts can range from $60, $200.00 to platinum seats of $1000.00. Parents are also hooked and don't see the harm as long as their children are enjoying. Dad and Mom are willing to pay, travel and attend these K-pop concerts with their kids. I literally mean kids as young as 5 years old and up attend these concerts.

What I couldn't help wonder, are these K-pop performers vulnerable to mishandling their earnings and fame? Does this industry hold them to rigid contracts, does the performer develop a use for drugs (to stay energized or wind down and sleep) and possibly be forced to secretive prostitution just to stay in the business? Does this industry hold the young performers to over time in the business, making God "secondary" in their lives, minimizing their own life goals like education, raising a family or making time for growing their faith?

I remember when the "prudish" older generation during my growing years accused rock music in the 1960s as being a communist plot. In the late 1960's and 70's progressive (psychedelic, hard, metal music) was more enjoyable while on drugs. Pop culture sensation Michael Jackson was a phenom as a solo artist. The fans couldn't get enough of him until he died at 50 of an overdose of prescribed drugs.

Genres of music around the world all seem to start off as innocent, good listening and dancing music. If we look back at the history of music it seems to escalate for many performers and audience to the low road (darkness) that one cannot enjoy on the high road (the light.)

Back to K-pop and 2023. I'm concerned because my niece who is now 6 years old loves her K-pop and her parents, my brother and sister in law, approve of it.

What are your thoughts about this K-pop craze, or other pop cultures similar in these times?

God bless you all.

Bob, I am not a fan. I don’t understand the allure.
But then I don’t need an idol.

I have read the backstory. They are created into idols and have to keep up a perfect persona for others to look up to and enjoy. No wonder there are so many scandals in the k-pop world.

I don’t know what to say about your little niece. At that age All I had was classical music playing in the background and some old sixties stuff. We didn’t have idols, we played out all the time.
Maybe the Beatles was our version of k-pop. But they were more for teens.

I do think they all look good and cute and I can see why little could children like them.
But if it ever becomes addicting and takes over other parts of their lives then I would be concerned.

I think everyone in the entertainment business is exposed to drugs and alcohol. Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Jim morrison... the list goes on and on. The bible tells us to raise our children in the word. The parents should help their kids to understand that there favorite performers are just people too.

I'm not Korean, but K-pop is big, just as American Idol was - its idolatry.

I think people like someone to look up to and they will choose an idol of whatever takes their fancy. If they can dance and sing, they can mesmerize someone even if its just lip synching eg remember Milli Vanilli?

But remember the downfall of those pop idols - Micheal Jackson 'King of Pop' ..even Whitney Houston succumbed to demons, well she let them in, it was a huge battle for her.

And yes tickets to concerts are very expensive. Starting from $99
To go to see and hear Pink live (as one of my former favourite artists) it costs $200 at least
Taylor Swift commands high prices that she won't even come to my country because she's got so big she won't go do a free concert to countries that can't afford her. People have to fly to Australia to see her in concert.

I think everyone in the entertainment business is exposed to drugs and alcohol. Hank Williams, Elvis Presley, Jim morrison... the list goes on and on. The bible tells us to raise our children in the word. The parents should help their kids to understand that there favorite performers are just people too.
Actually, I believe everyone is exposed to drugs and alcohol. Entertainers just have the money and are visible to the public eye. For every Elvis Presley, there and a thousand John Smith's. I've never really understood people's fascination to celebrities. I've never been to a concert and don't like attending a live sporting event. I've attended several games (football and baseball) and the best view is still in my Livingroom.

Actually, I believe everyone is exposed to drugs and alcohol. Entertainers just have the money and are visible to the public eye. For every Elvis Presley, there and a thousand John Smith's. I've never really understood people's fascination to celebrities. I've never been to a concert and don't like attending a live sporting event. I've attended several games (football and baseball) and the best view is still in my Livingroom.
you lucky, other people don't have tvs lol

I think concerts can be exciting and good fun especially free outdoor ones. If the entertainment is good, it's an escape from ordinary life and makes you feel good for long after.

As far as celebrities go, or 'stars' I think people naturally are drawn to those who are larger than life, people seem to need someone to look up to. But it can go too far.

I've never attended a live rugby match. And I live in NZ.

It's like watching a human bullfight or something....not my thing.

Drugs and alcohol are more easily accessible in the entertainment industry esp the A ones. The more money you make, the more heroin or cocaine you can afford.

And lots of drug and alchohol companies sponsor sporting events.

you lucky, other people don't have tvs lol

I think concerts can be exciting and good fun especially free outdoor ones. If the entertainment is good, it's an escape from ordinary life and makes you feel good for long after.

As far as celebrities go, or 'stars' I think people naturally are drawn to those who are larger than life, people seem to need someone to look up to. But it can go too far.

I've never attended a live rugby match. And I live in NZ.

It's like watching a human bullfight or something....not my thing.
I just don't like crowds. A while back (2010 Saints vs Colts), the wife and I attended the Superbowl here in Miami. The line to use the bathroom was at least an hour, despite there being a large number of bathrooms on multiple floors. A single beer was $15.00 (25.28 NZD) and a very small "Cuban" sandwich was $27.00 (45.83 NZD)

Basically, for a 3-hour event, you have to commit at least four hours to parking, getting in, getting back out, and leaving the parking area. Keep in mind that the capacity for this place is 65,326 people, which is more than some downs. Nope, I'll watch at home and save both the drama and the cost.

Drugs and alcohol are more easily accessible in the entertainment industry esp the A ones. The more money you make, the more heroin or cocaine you can afford. And lots of drug and alchohol companies sponsor sporting events.
I just don't like crowds. A while back (2010 Saints vs Colts), the wife and I attended the Superbowl here in Miami. The line to use the bathroom was at least an hour, despite there being a large number of bathrooms on multiple floors. A single beer was $15.00 (25.28 NZD) and a very small "Cuban" sandwich was $27.00 (45.83 NZD) Basically, for a 3-hour event, you have to commit at least four hours to parking, getting in, getting back out, and leaving the parking area. Keep in mind that the capacity for this place is 65,326 people, which is more than some downs. Nope, I'll watch at home and save both the drama and the cost.

Getting back to K-pop. Back in 2015 I did a basic and informative study on one culture and listened to a very interesting presentation by two of my classmates of the same country. They are a society that "over-thinks" and endure incredible stress, pride and ego. The field of professional therapy counseling in the last 40 years has long been a busy business treating men, more so women and young people. From an early age kids are pressured in their studies by their parents, job careers and money which result in a high suicide rate.

I feel the
well being
of the young entertainers in K-pop is impacted by what I learned and some will carry this weight just to stay in the field.

I understand K-pop and other like entertainment and society traits exist from country to country. I feel there were similar but other types of problems during the era of boy bands like Backstreet Boys and Menudo in the early 90s.

Most parents only see the outer glamour of K-pop and feel it's safe, pure, clean and entertaining for their children but haven't been full educated (poor in spirit) on what goes on behind the scenes and culture.

But who am I? I remember attending major concerts with crowds of 20k to 50k+ attending as a young adult. Unfortunately, the mixture of alcohol and drugs was in the mix. As my wife and I have gotten older we don't attend large crowd gatherings anymore. They're usually small with maybe an attendance of 200 to 400+.

I have conversations with God about this and confess when I don't fully understand this inward feeling of uneasiness about genres, could this be the Holy Spirit's warning and how should I pray?

Psalm 9:18, 18 It may seem that those who are poor and needy have been forgotten, but God will not forget them. He will not leave them without hope. - ERV

1 Timothy 2:1-2, First of all, I ask that you pray for all people. Ask God to bless them and give them what they need. And give thanks. 2 You should pray for rulers and for all who have authority. Pray for these leaders so that we can live quiet and peaceful lives—lives full of devotion to God and respect for him. - ERV

God bless you all and please share any further thoughts.

Back