Law Out—Life In!

The law is neither the ground of life to the sinner (it being “taken away” - Heb 10:9—NC), nor the rule of life to the Christian (was intended only for Israel—NC): the Lord Jesus is both the one and the other—He is our life (Col 3:4), and He is our rule of life! The law can only curse and slay. The Lord Jesus is our life and righteousness. He went down into the place where the sinner lay—into the place of death and judgment; and having, by His death, entirely discharged all that was or could be against us, He became, in resurrection, the source of life and the ground of righteousness to all who believe in His name.

Having thus life and righteousness in Him, we are called to walk not merely as the law directs, but to “walk as He walked” (1Jo 2:6). It will hardly be deemed needful to assert that it is directly contrary to Christian nature and ethics to kill, commit adultery or steal. But were a Christian to shape his way according to these commands, or according to the entire Decalogue, would he yield the rare and delicate fruits which the Epistle of Ephesians sets forth?

Would the Ten Commandments ever cause a thief to give up stealing, and go to work that he might have to give? Would they ever transform a robber into a laborious and liberal man? Assuredly not. The law says, “Thou shalt not steal”: but does it say, Go and give to him that needs—Go, feed, clothe and bless your enemy—God, gladden by your benevolent feelings and your beneficent acts the heart of him who only and always seeks your harm? By no means; and yet, were I under the law as a rule, it could only curse and slay me (because the purpose of the law was to solely convict of guilt, not receive forgiveness, which came only from the priestly sacrifices—NC).

How is this, when the standard in the New Testament is so much higher? Because I am weak, and the law gives me no strength and shows me no mercy. The law demands strength from one that has none (in sin but forgiven—NC), and curses him if he cannot display it (requires being sinless, like Christ, but man is only guiltless, not sinless—NC). The Gospel gives strength to one that has none (guiltlessness in Christ—NC), and blesses him in the exhibition of it. The law proposes life as the end of obedience (if it could be perfectly obeyed, but it can’t be—NC); the Gospel gives life as the only proper ground of obedience.

If the law be indeed the rule of a believer’s life, where are we to find it presented in the New Testament? Paul evidently had no thought of it being the rule when he penned the following words: “For in Christ Jesus neither circumcision availeth anything nor uncircumcision, but a new creation.” “As many as walk according to this rule, peace be on them, and mercy” (Gal 6:15, 16). What “rule”? The law? No; but the “new creation.” The law speaks not a word about “new creation.”

Why does not Paul say, As many as walk according to the Ten Commandments? Is it not evident that the believer has a higher rule by which to walk? Unquestionably? The Ten Commandments , though forming, as a true Christian admits, a part of the canon of inspiration, could never be the rule of new life to one who has, through infinite grace, been recreated into the new creation—one who has received new life in the Lord Jesus Christ. “For the law of the Spirit of life in Christ Jesus has made me free from the law of sin and death” (Ro 8:2 – Israel is guilty concerning the law of sin, and also concerning the law – the Gentiles are guilty only of the law of sin – which states that “the soul that sins, it shall die” - Eze 18:4, 20—NC).

—C H Mackintosh (1820-1896)

MJS devotional excerpt for Dec 1

“When the Lord Jesus has once died and risen, He is through with sin forever. He is now living in the eternal light of His Father’s face. He is our Adam, our life. We died in Him. We were raised in Him. Through our death with Him at Calvary we have escaped forever from the old Adam life. Our feelings have nothing to do with it. It was all accomplished at the Cross.

“We dare not deny God’s Word. He says we died with Christ. We can cry triumphantly, when we know: ‘I died unto sin with the Lord Jesus on the Cross, two thousand years ago! I reckon myself what the Father says I am in His Son—dead unto sin and alive unto God. Sin has no claim on me in the Lord Jesus, and cannot have dominion over me, as I yield myself to my Father in this wonderful new revelation of yielding myself to God, as one who is alive from the dead’ (Rom. 6:13). Thus will we begin to find how true and how tremendous is the deliverance that is in the Lord Jesus for us. And thus alone will we really honor the grace of God.” –William R Newell (1868-1956)

Hello netchaplain;

I'd like to share my thoughts in Law Out - Life In!

I believe that the 10 Commandments are to be revered by God when He originally wrote and delegated the Commands to Moses. The first 4 were love for God and the next 6 were love for others.

But in my discussion others have said that the precepts God gave Moses have been viewed by the Christian community teachings as objective because we all fall short of obeying the 10 Commandments. Even Jews for Jesus find difficulty articulating the Commandments as a standard to live by.

I counter this by understanding the context of what Jesus was saying in Mark 12:30-31, 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
(The first 4 Commandments)

31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (The last 6 Commandments) - ESV

Jesus didn't just come along and suddenly decide to proclaim the 10 Commandments with revitalization, and to fulfill what was already started back in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. Part of the fulfillment was Christ's Love Commandments - justice, mercy, faithfulness, compassion, forgiveness toward our weaknesses, flaws and imperfections reference Matthew 23.

Paul expounds in Romans 8:3-6.

Romans 8:3-6, 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

I believe what God commanded Moses in the Old Testament and in the Gospels Jesus would fulfill the Law is All Orchestration of God's plan and for His Church.

God bless you, Bob, your family and Merry Christmas.

Hello netchaplain;

I'd like to share my thoughts in Law Out - Life In!

I believe that the 10 Commandments are to be revered by God when He originally wrote and delegated the Commands to Moses. The first 4 were love for God and the next 6 were love for others.

But in my discussion others have said that the precepts God gave Moses have been viewed by the Christian community teachings as objective because we all fall short of obeying the 10 Commandments. Even Jews for Jesus find difficulty articulating the Commandments as a standard to live by.

I counter this by understanding the context of what Jesus was saying in Mark 12:30-31, 30 And you shall love the Lord your God with all your heart and with all your soul and with all your mind and with all your strength.’
(The first 4 Commandments)

31 The second is this: ‘You shall love your neighbor as yourself.’ There is no other commandment greater than these.” (The last 6 Commandments) - ESV

Jesus didn't just come along and suddenly decide to proclaim the 10 Commandments with revitalization, and to fulfill what was already started back in Exodus 20 and Deuteronomy 5. Part of the fulfillment was Christ's Love Commandments - justice, mercy, faithfulness, compassion, forgiveness toward our weaknesses, flaws and imperfections reference Matthew 23.

Paul expounds in Romans 8:3-6.

Romans 8:3-6, 3 For God has done what the law, weakened by the flesh, could not do. By sending his own Son in the likeness of sinful flesh and for sin, he condemned sin in the flesh, 4 in order that the righteous requirement of the law might be fulfilled in us, who walk not according to the flesh but according to the Spirit. 5 For those who live according to the flesh set their minds on the things of the flesh, but those who live according to the Spirit set their minds on the things of the Spirit. 6 For to set the mind on the flesh is death, but to set the mind on the Spirit is life and peace.

I believe what God commanded Moses in the Old Testament and in the Gospels Jesus would fulfill the Law is All Orchestration of God's plan and for His Church.

God bless you, Bob, your family and Merry Christmas.
HI Bob and God bless! The primary difficulty with the Law is that too many professing believers do not understand it is "taken away" (Heb 10:9; also 7:18, 19; 8:7, 8; 2Co 3:11; Eph 2:15; Col 2:14; Gal 3:24, 25). It ended when Christ finally fulfilled it when He said "it is finished."

It's good that many want to obey and please God, but this is not how we are forgiven. Forgiveness comes from Christ's expiation for our sin, and obedience shows we have been forgiven.

Of course, we could not have a new testament with the old in place.

Hello netchaplain;

Well said. I really enjoy our discussions and getting your followup take on the Scriptures which helps me in my study of the Bible.

I pray more from our members will dig in to your threads along with the world wide public.

God bless you and thank you, Bob.

Hello netchaplain;

Well said. I really enjoy our discussions and getting your followup take on the Scriptures which helps me in my study of the Bible.

I pray more from our members will dig in to your threads along with the world wide public.

God bless you and thank you, Bob.
Yes, all need to grow in the Word, which is "growing up into Christ" (Eph 4:15). God's blessings to your Family!

Back