Learning Genesis Take 2

Or, are you done with it??
You go ahead and fill your boots Calvin. I did read ahead a bit in Genesis but to be honest the whole situation about 900 year old men, great flood, giants and such is just too mythical for me to take in.
You carry on if you wish, I'll read and chip in when I feel inclined.

Tubby Tubby, I have studied all 66 books of the Bible at Theo College (brag brag). I think my boots are rather full thank you.
I might continue on;we'll see.

Tubby Tubby, I have studied all 66 books of the Bible at Theo College (brag brag). I think my boots are rather full thank you.
I might continue on;we'll see.
I admire your stamina, I'd like to read it once but I'm not making much sense of it. Perhaps I'm not wired up the right way, who knows.

RMS TITANIC

Height: 175 ft
Length: 882 ft
Width: 92 ft
Construction: Steel
Capacity: 3547 people and enough provisions for a couple weeks.
Time at sea: 5 days

Noah's Ark

Height: 45 ft
Length: 450 ft
Width: 75 ft
Construction: Wood
Capacity: Over 50,000 animals, 2 million insects, 8 people, a 600 year old man and enough provisions for 1 year.
Time at sea: 7 months

I guess the Fuel storage, Fresh water storage (for washing etc),the Boilers and engines, the opulent concert rooms and ball rooms and promenade areas took up a lot of the available space on the Titanic, not to forget the Galleys and Dinning halls.
Did it have Crocket fields, Tennis courts and the odd Olympic sized swimming pool too?
Truly, a titanic waist of space.

Last edited:
Noah's ark made it to the Mountains of Ararat,, the Titanic made it to the ocean floor
Book me passage on the Ark rather than the Titanic any day.(y)
I suppose that with the world flooded, the atmosphere at the summit of greater Ararat, (about 10K feet or so) would have been necessarily denser that it would be today.
10K feet nowadays would pose a serious Oxygen problem but then,...I believe the Lord had it all under control.(y)(y)(y)

Last edited:
Revisiting for the moment ch 6:
Gen 6:5. The LORD saw that the wickedness of man was great in the earth, and that every intention of the thoughts of his heart was only evil continually.
Gen 6:6 And the LORD regretted that he had made man on the earth, and it grieved him to his heart.
Gen 6:7 So the LORD said, "I will blot out man whom I have created from the face of the land, man and animals and creeping things and birds of the heavens, for I am sorry that I have made them."
Gen 6:8 But Noah found favor in the eyes of the LORD.
The worst of corrupt mankind was swept away by the flood waters and only Noah, his wife and his sons and daughters in law
That might have been a fresh start for the human race, but it was not.

Gen 9:1 And God blessed Noah and his sons and said to them, "Be fruitful and multiply and fill the earth.
Gen 9:2 The fear of you and the dread of you shall be upon every beast of the earth and upon every bird of the heavens, upon everything that creeps on the ground and all the fish of the sea. Into your hand they are delivered.
Gen 9:3 Every moving thing that lives shall be food for you. And as I gave you the green plants, I give you everything.
Gen 9:4 But you shall not eat flesh with its life, that is, its blood.
Gen 9:5 And for your lifeblood I will require a reckoning: from every beast I will require it and from man. From his fellow man I will require a reckoning for the life of man.
Gen 9:6 "Whoever sheds the blood of man, by man shall his blood be shed, for God made man in his own image.
Gen 9:7 And you, be fruitful and multiply, increase greatly on the earth and multiply in it."

It is worth noting that all things were given for food, including what was later to be classified as unclean animals etc.

The clean/unclean distinction must have been known to Noah, but perhaps not in terms of what could be eaten and what could not. More likely it was a distinction for worship/sacrifice purposes. Yet it would also have set a sort of precedent for later covenant food laws.

Gen 9:9 "Behold, I establish my covenant with you and your offspring after you,
Gen 9:10 and with every living creature that is with you, the birds, the livestock, and every beast of the earth with you, as many as came out of the ark; it is for every beast of the earth.
Gen 9:11 I establish my covenant with you, that never again shall all flesh be cut off by the waters of the flood, and never again shall there be a flood to destroy the earth."
Gen 9:12 And God said, "This is the sign of the covenant that I make between me and you and every living creature that is with you, for all future generations:
Gen 9:13 I have set my bow in the cloud, and it shall be a sign of the covenant between me and the earth.
Gen 9:14 When I bring clouds over the earth and the bow is seen in the clouds,
Gen 9:15 I will remember my covenant that is between me and you and every living creature of all flesh. And the waters shall never again become a flood to destroy all flesh.
Gen 9:16 When the bow is in the clouds, I will see it and remember the everlasting covenant between God and every living creature of all flesh that is on the earth."
Gen 9:17 God said to Noah, "This is the sign of the covenant that I have established between me and all flesh that is on the earth."
The mention of the bow, (rain bow) is often thought to be a new creation...that prior to the flood there never was a rainbow. Maybe this is why some think that it never rained before the flood.
However, even back in the formative days of Eden, when there was only a mist, a rainbow would have been visible given the right positioning of the Sun and the observer just as it is today.
There was no new or altering of the laws of light and refraction.
I believe that at the time the Lord God spoke to Noah, there was a rain bow in the sky for him to see and so it was pointed out and appointed as a sigh of the promise made....It was a point of reference, not a new creation.
And so it is to this day, that globally crops have never failed nor has there been a global flood.

Gen 9:19 These three were the sons of Noah, and from these the people of the whole earth were dispersed.
Gen 9:20 Noah began to be a man of the soil, and he planted a vineyard.
Gen 9:21 He drank of the wine and became drunk and lay uncovered in his tent.
Gen 9:22 And Ham, the father of Canaan, saw the nakedness of his father and told his two brothers outside.
Gen 9:23 Then Shem and Japheth took a garment, laid it on both their shoulders, and walked backward and covered the nakedness of their father. Their faces were turned backward, and they did not see their father's nakedness.
Gen 9:24 When Noah awoke from his wine and knew what his youngest son had done to him,
Gen 9:25 he said, "Cursed be Canaan; a servant of servants shall he be to his brothers."
Gen 9:26 He also said, "Blessed be the LORD, the God of Shem; and let Canaan be his servant.
Gen 9:27 May God enlarge Japheth, and let him dwell in the tents of Shem, and let Canaan be his servant."

Some people would argue that Ham and his descendants were not good people, while the descendants of Shem and Japheth were righteous people.
But since all have sinned and come short of God's expectations, that line of thought should be abandoned.
It is worth noting that from these three, all the peoples of the world are derived and there is no clear cut distinction to show that 1/3 mankind is less 'good' that the rest.

But the real thing that is disclosed here is that even after purging evil from the human race by means of the flood evil still is endemic within mankind.

On a side note, and this may need to be a new thread, and forgives for getting ahead but I have a question about Melchizedek. I've heard it preached that Shem was Melchizedek. What are your thoughts? I've always been fascinated by him.

I would like to add a coupe of notes here for Tubby/Cal...the Ark measurement from Tubby are Wiki standards...in other words the assumed cubit (18 inches)....primarily a cubit can be anywhere from 16 inches to 22 inches...my cubit is 18 inches but my son in law Kevin's is 19 1/2...if noah was a tall man (say 6'2 04 6'3) his cubit may have been even larger....just sayin, if ya calculate using a 20 inch elbow to finger tip cubit it adds up...I realize Tubby's point would be the same...He does not see the fit...

The 2nd point was with Noah it was God's boat and I am sure they were all really glad to have been included (thank you Lord)...with the Titanic it was man's boat boasting "even God can't sink it!" Ha ha ha....imagine this...He didn't have to...the stupidity of boastful man sank it. Captain Smith ordered the crews men to go faster, and at that speed they were unable to react soon enough and avoid any icebergs...

Yahweh vs. Ourway...the sad truth of human history...

Melchizedek is a real mystery man.
There are those who believe he was Jesus before Jesus was Jesus:confused::confused:
All we are told (and I don't think we should go beyond that!) is that he was priest of God most high, and that he has no roots.
Heb 7:3 He is without father or mother or genealogy, having neither beginning of days nor end of life, but resembling the Son of God he continues a priest forever.
Shem was Noah's son so he hardly fits the description.

It is because of this passage that some believe he was the pre-incarnate Christ.
Of Jesus it is said :
Psa 110:4 The LORD has sworn and will not change his mind, "You are a priest forever after the order of Melchizedek."
It seems unreasonable that Jesus would be denied the pre eminence by being merely a follower of an earlier priest.
But yes it might be best to leave this here and start a new thread if you wish.

On the covenant with the Earth as it were...sealed with the rainbow; Let's look briefly at some covenants that the Lord made after this. He made a covenant with Abram (Abraham) and He used stars and sand to indicate the vastness of numbers of descendants.
He did not create stars and sand just for that special occasion, He used them as a way of showing His intent.
At the last Supper, Jesus used bread and wine to speak of a new covenant in His body and blood......He didn't create bread and wine on the spot so that He could speak of the covenant. I believe that in the same way. the rainbow was pre-existent, as a normal consequence of light refraction by water droplets at the time the Lord announced His covenant with Noah.

RMS TITANIC

Height: 175 ft
Length: 882 ft
Width: 92 ft
Construction: Steel
Capacity: 3547 people and enough provisions for a couple weeks.
Time at sea: 5 days

Noah's Ark

Height: 45 ft
Length: 450 ft
Width: 75 ft
Construction: Wood
Capacity: Over 50,000 animals, 2 million insects, 8 people, a 600 year old man and enough provisions for 1 year.
Time at sea: 7 months
This is incorrect. There were eight people. Your info suggests there were nine. Who knew wiki paid so little attention to detail. That makes you wonder where they get their figures for the number of animals and insects. Misinformation is a tool used by the enemy to deceive us.

Well to be fair to Tubby Tubby, I read it as eight people, one of which was 600 years young old.
So that still makes 8 not nine.

Continuing onward:
Gen 11:1 Now the whole earth had one language and the same words.
Given that they were all related to the Noahs that is hardly surprising.
Gen 11:2 And as people migrated from the east, they found a plain in the land of Shinar and settled there.
Shinar is indeed east of Ararat.

Gen 11:3 And they said to one another, "Come, let us make bricks, and burn them thoroughly." And they had brick for stone, and bitumen for mortar.
Gen 11:4 Then they said, "Come, let us build ourselves a city and a tower with its top in the heavens, and let us make a name for ourselves, lest we be dispersed over the face of the whole earth."
Notice that they were earlier commanded to fill the whole Earth (Gen 9:1) And notice that Gen 10:32 speaks of this later diaspora.

Gen 11:5 And the LORD came down to see the city and the tower, which the children of man had built.
Gen 11:6 And the LORD said, "Behold, they are one people, and they have all one language, and this is only the beginning of what they will do. And nothing that they propose to do will now be impossible for them.
Gen 11:7 Come, let us go down and there confuse their language, so that they may not understand one another's speech."
Gen 11:8 So the LORD dispersed them from there over the face of all the earth, and they left off building the city.
Gen 11:9 Therefore its name was called Babel, because there the LORD confused the language of all the earth. And from there the LORD dispersed them over the face of all the earth.
The observation that mankind with one common language would be capable of great achievement is being born out today, as we become more and more able to mix and language barriers are diminishing............How could that have been foreseen thousands of years ago?
It is now obvious that the fruit if the tree of knowledge, ie. rebellion against God is still within the mouths and bellies of mankind. Indeed it is in our loins.
The Flood, though eradicating a lot of evil, did not, could not remove the sinful rebellious nature that we inherited from Adam.
Yet this is not in any way suggestive of a failure in God's program of redemption....it is just a chapter in the plan.

In the end, we see mankind left with no choice but to spread out and populate the Earth as commanded.

This is incorrect. There were eight people. Your info suggests there were nine. Who knew wiki paid so little attention to detail. That makes you wonder where they get their figures for the number of animals and insects. Misinformation is a tool used by the enemy to deceive us.
How many animals were there on the ark then? Has a list been produced? Presumably there must be some source that describes how many 'kinds' of animals there were.

Once the modern descendants of the Ark kinds are determined, we need to use this information to infer what the actual pair on the Ark may have looked like. One thing that is evident when looking at animals in the world today, many have specialized to live in specific niches. There are hares that live in the arctic, others that live in the desert, and others in intermediate climates. There are cattle (for example, the yak) that can withstand high altitudes and cold climates; there are other cattle (for example, zebu) that are adapted to live in hot, arid climates. We also see specialization in domestic animals, where some cattle have been bred for milk production and others have been bred for beef production. Given these trends, the Ark kinds would be relatively unspecialized animals that fit nicely into the cognitum of the created kind.
https://answersingenesis.org/noahs-ark/determining-the-ark-kinds/

You missed the point. The information you presented is inaccurate. To my knowledge there is no list, I don't expect there to be one. I restated in an earlier post that there could have been as few as 16,000 pairs of animals, a number you quickly scoffed at. "Kind" most closely corresponds to family level in current taxonomy.

Back