Learning To Forgive Yourself?

We've all been there...

Have you ever said something you wish you had never said? Done something you wish you had never done? Seems like life is always presenting us with those awkward moments of regret, you know what I'm talking about, those pesky points in time when you would love to turn back the clock another 60 seconds and get another chance at a do over? Another opportunity to hit the delete button instead of submit (or reply) on that email or text you wish you had never sent?

I don't know about you but I've put my foot in my mouth more times than I care to count, but that's what's so wonderful about being a Child of the King, that's what I love so much about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, you see it just so happens that we serve the God of Do Overs. He's a REDO God! If you REPENT, HE will RESTORE and RECONCILE you unto himself. If we confess our sins, HE is faithful to forgive us of our sins, then HE will wash us, cleanse us and make us whole again! Hallelujah!!!

When we place our faith in the finished Work of the Cross we are (by the Grace and Mercy of God) claiming our REDEMPTION!
What an awesome God we serve! He's always waiting there with those outstretched, holes in his hands, ready to forgive us. Praise God!

The question I want to ask you is this... We know how our Heavenly Father is faithful to forgive us right?
But how do we (or is it even necessary) forgive ourselves?

You've messed up again, you repent, God forgives you (again); but have you ever noticed that sometimes even after we know we're forgiven, we still sometimes find ourselves holding onto the guilt and shame of our transgression? It's like we've missed the train but we still keep standing at the train station, holding a useless ticket, as if by osmosis we will eventually get somewhere. What's that all about? Why do we sometimes refuse to let go of something that God has already forgotten as far as the East is from the West?

God has forgiven us, but why do we still feel bad, obsessing over what we've done wrong?
God has forgiven us, so is that it? Or, do we also need to forgive ourselves? And if so, how?

Love to hear others share their thoughts on this! Thanks in advance God bless! :)

We've all been there...

Have you ever said something you wish you had never said? Done something you wish you had never done? Seems like life is always presenting us with those awkward moments of regret, you know what I'm talking about, those pesky points in time when you would love to turn back the clock another 60 seconds and get another chance at a do over? Another opportunity to hit the delete button instead of submit (or reply) on that email or text you wish you had never sent?

I don't know about you but I've put my foot in my mouth more times than I care to count, but that's what's so wonderful about being a Child of the King, that's what I love so much about our Lord and Savior Jesus Christ, you see it just so happens that we serve the God of Do Overs. He's a REDO God! If you REPENT, HE will RESTORE and RECONCILE you unto himself. If we confess our sins, HE is faithful to forgive us of our sins, then HE will wash us, cleanse us and make us whole again! Hallelujah!!!

When we place our faith in the finished Work of the Cross we are (by the Grace and Mercy of God) claiming our REDEMPTION!
What an awesome God we serve! He's always waiting there with those outstretched, holes in his hands, ready to forgive us. Praise God!

The question I want to ask you is this... We know how our Heavenly Father is faithful to forgive us right?

You've messed up again, you repent, God forgives you (again); but have you ever noticed that sometimes even after we know we're forgiven, we still sometimes find ourselves holding onto the guilt and shame of our transgression? It's like we've missed the train but we still keep standing at the train station, holding a useless ticket, as if by osmosis we will eventually get somewhere. What's that all about? Why do we sometimes refuse to let go of something that God has already forgotten as far as the East is from the West?

God has forgiven us, but why do we still feel bad, obsessing over what we've done wrong?
God has forgiven us, so is that it? Or, do we also need to forgive ourselves? And if so, how?

Love to hear others share their thoughts on this! Thanks in advance God bless! :)
Brother Kev I think we can all identify.
But you know these earthly senses where not given to us navigate our spiritual journey. His Word is good no matter what or how we feel and we know that the footsteps are ordered of the Lord and all things work together for the good of the believer. We also know God's will for us is to be Christ like and only He knows the way.
We are in the greatest battle ever fought - in the human mind - Satan's choice - God chose the heart. So arm yourself - the victory is sure but that doesn't mean there wont be hardship along the way - hardships being the building blocks for character.
How do we forgive ourselves?
Entering into the Rest.

Our shortfalls do not take God by surprise...

We've all been there...

I can relate very much , thanks, for the thoughts...

Am working on my temper, as well as how I “express” my opinions in not so much of gentleness or moderation (have some progress :)

On the question:

I believe, as I see it: it may sound casual or simple: but that is how I see it: MEMORY and THINK

MEMORY: we have memory, we cannot erase it.
THINKING: our mind likes to think, it what it does. that is: it THINKS of RECENT things of course...

As we cannot erase our “memory”… and we cannot stop our mind to THINK, am so thankful that this verse comes to mind:

We re-focus our THINKING instead to Excellent, Praiseworthy things!

PHIL 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

And reading previous verse before it just now: and it is noteworthy to note that Paul needs to repeat it "REJOICE"! and does mentioned: being "gentle" or "moderation",

PHIL 4:4 Rejoice in the Lord alway: and again I say, Rejoice.
PHIL 4:5 Let your moderation be known unto all men. The Lord is at hand.

Am working on my temper, as well as how I “express” my opinions in not so much of gentleness or moderation (have some progress :)

On the question:

I believe, as I see it: it may sound casual or simple: but that is how I see it: MEMORY and THINK

THINKING: our mind likes to think, it what it does. that is: it THINKS of RECENT things of course...

As we cannot erase our “memory”… and we cannot stop our mind to THINK, am so thankful that this verse comes to mind:

PHIL 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things.

And reading previous verse before it just now: and it is noteworthy to note that Paul needs to repeat it "REJOICE"! and does mentioned: being "gentle" or "moderation",

Amen! I agree! I believe it's all about what we choose to focus our minds on.
Proverbs 23: 7 " For as he thinketh in his heart, so is he"

I dont know if we can forgive ourselves but we can forgive others.

If God has forgiven us, we are forgiven. Why should we beat ourselves up again when God is helping us to change?
He takes our shame away, its all on Jesus flesh and that was put to death at the cross.

There is therefore now condemnation in Christ Jesus, for those who walk NOT after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1 (caps my emphasis)

What does this mean. The flesh cant do any good. Its only when we walk in the spirit we are free. Now Jesus Christ came in the flesh...he knew what it was like to be human just like us subject to temptations. So hes not going to condemn us for failing he took the blame for whatever we've done wrong upon himself. This happened on the cross.

Now how does this work for us. We can say we are forgiven because of what Jesus did for us. All we have to do is say thank you Jesus for taking my shame away. We get to walk in the spirit, when we are in the flesh we just live by faith in what Jesus has already done for us. He died for us so we can live. Never forget that. And he will help us put right whatever we do wrong when we confess it. So you may not see a huge change straight away but if we repented rest assured God is working on us.

I dont know if we can forgive ourselves but we can forgive others.

If God has forgiven us, we are forgiven. Why should we beat ourselves up again when God is helping us to change?
He takes our shame away, its all on Jesus flesh and that was put to death at the cross.

There is therefore now condemnation in Christ Jesus, for those who walk NOT after the flesh, but after the Spirit. Romans 8:1 (caps my emphasis)

What does this mean. The flesh cant do any good. Its only when we walk in the spirit we are free. Now Jesus Christ came in the flesh...he knew what it was like to be human just like us subject to temptations. So hes not going to condemn us for failing he took the blame for whatever we've done wrong upon himself. This happened on the cross.

Now how does this work for us. We can say we are forgiven because of what Jesus did for us. All we have to do is say thank you Jesus for taking my shame away. We get to walk in the spirit, when we are in the flesh we just live by faith in what Jesus has already done for us. He died for us so we can live. Never forget that. And he will help us put right whatever we do wrong when we confess it. So you may not see a huge change straight away but if we repented rest assured God is working on us.

That's beautiful Lanolin! I couldn't agree more! Thank you so much for that! :)

Have you ever said something you wish you had never said? Done something you wish you had never done? Seems like life is always presenting us with those awkward moments of regret, you know what I'm talking about, those pesky points in time when you would love to turn back the clock another 60 seconds and get another chance at a do over

As you stated Repentance is the key BUT being a true man of God there is another key aspect at hand.

If you said something that is not true, then once you know this, turn around and go back and set the record straight. Not with excuses but honesty. Admit what you said was not true and make the correction .
That speaks LOUDER to some one then just looking like a good guy.
It is the same with getting rude or any other fleshly reaction.

Example.....I had a run in with the management of this complex. In the natural I had every right to stand up for myself. Any court would have backed me.
However the Holy Spirit did not see it that way. He showed me that I was frustrated about something else before I got there and took it out on them.
Conviction was big and I turned around and went back and apologized to each manager and office worker. It brought tears in my eyes. They acted as if no one has ever done this before..

Eventually God was able to turn things around in my favor but that would not have happened if I had not gone back. Yes God had forgiven me BUT there is still consequences to our every action.

But how do we (or is it even nec

You have been given a lot of things in which there is some truth in them but far to carnal in many ways.

First yes God forgives us.
It is not us who keeps thinking about these sins of the past . Nope its our enemy whispering our every fault in our ears.

Look God forgives and remembers no more.
So every time you go to Him about what He has already forgiven and forgot.....you are simply reminding Him .
Look at it this way.......God would say unto you....
What does my Word say about it?

Why are you coming to me telling me what the devil is telling you?

Further more why have you not casted down these thoughts and replaced them with my word?

Why are you allowing the devil your enemy the accuser of the brethren to have more authority in you then Me and My Word?

Did I not tell you that your sins have been esponged and that sponge was full of the Blood of My Son your Lord and Savior?

So tell me child, why are you not Submitting unto me and Resisting the devil as I have not only Told you to do but commanded you to do and have already authorized you to do so in Jesus?!!

Wake up you sleeper and fight your fight and be found standing strong and not wavering under your enemies head games and giving attention to his accusations.

Look....bottom line, we can make all the excuses we want and pat each other on the back, but that ain't going to get the job done.

It's our RESPONSIBILITY to cast these thoughts down and do spiritual warfare.
Otherwise you are just ALLOWING the devil to play you like a 3 dollar fiddle.

Blessings
FCJ

His Word is good no matter what or how we feel and we know that the footsteps are ordered of the Lord and all things work together for the good of the believer.

Greetings,
Again I will remind you that you can not pull out any single scripture and make it a stand alone scripture and use it in any way you wish. Such as you have applied these two scriptures above. We need to learn how to rightly divide Scriptures.

Yes the foot steps of the Righteous are ordered by the Lord but this in no way says that the footsteps one is traveling is of the Lord.

Again with Romans 8:28.
Using this Scripture as a stand alone free for all scripture and that is in error.
Open up your eyes and look around. See all the evil out there......it ain't getting worked for the good of anyone other then the devil.

Now let's place Romans 8:28 back in context.
26 Likewise the Spirit also helpeth our infirmities; for we know not what we should pray for as we ought, but the Spirit itself maketh intercession for us with groanings which cannot be uttered.

27 And He that searcheth the hearts knoweth what is the mind of the Spirit, because He maketh intercession for the saints according to the will of God.

28 And we know that all things work together for good to those who love God, to those who are the called according to His purpose.

Now we see what the All Things Are that this Scripture is talking about.

Even if one puts different scriptures together and uses them and it seems to make sense does not make the scripture true in the situation or bring desired results.

Blessings
FCJ

Yes we need to forgive ourselves. We should take our example from the apsotle Paul who said under the unction of the Holy Spirit... This one thing I do is forget about the past and strive towards the future.

We have to choose to take every thought captive like 2 Corinthians 10:5 says. This is the how... For the enemy is going to bring it all up to keep us condemned and under a sin consciousness. he knows that when we hang onto the memories of past sins it does a couple of things... One it contaminates our faith. It takes away our confidence in the finished works of Jesus and His blood. It also says to our Lord... What You did for me was not enough. Everything You went through was not enough... We need to earn it and pay our own price. Those are the things the enemy is trying to get is to grab ahold of. The arrogance of not needing a Savior, trying to do it on our own, like the Israelites did... Right before they received the law (10 commandments).

We have to forget on purpose and stand boldly on 1 John 1:9 and trust in the faithfulness of Jesus and His truthfulness. For when we take Him at His Word... Freedom comes and the yoke of bondage is destroyed.

Blessings

We've all been there...

Oh boy! This has been my life! An accumulation of guilt! I have asked this question many times and also need the answer! :) Let's see what others think.....

On the question:

True!

As you stated Repentance is the key BUT being a true man of God there is another key aspect at hand.

If you said something that is not true, then once you know this, turn around and go back and set the record straight. Not with excuses but honesty. Admit what you said was not true and make the correction .
That speaks LOUDER to some one then just looking like a good guy.
It is the same with getting rude or any other fleshly reaction.

Example.....I had a run in with the management of this complex. In the natural I had every right to stand up for myself. Any court would have backed me.
However the Holy Spirit did not see it that way. He showed me that I was frustrated about something else before I got there and took it out on them.
Conviction was big and I turned around and went back and apologized to each manager and office worker. It brought tears in my eyes. They acted as if no one has ever done this before..

Eventually God was able to turn things around in my favor but that would not have happened if I had not gone back. Yes God had forgiven me BUT there is still consequences to our every action.

You have been given a lot of things in which there is some truth in them but far to carnal in many ways.

First yes God forgives us.
It is not us who keeps thinking about these sins of the past . Nope its our enemy whispering our every fault in our ears.

Look God forgives and remembers no more.
So every time you go to Him about what He has already forgiven and forgot.....you are simply reminding Him .
Look at it this way.......God would say unto you....
What does my Word say about it?

Why are you coming to me telling me what the devil is telling you?

Further more why have you not casted down these thoughts and replaced them with my word?

Why are you allowing the devil your enemy the accuser of the brethren to have more authority in you then Me and My Word?

Did I not tell you that your sins have been esponged and that sponge was full of the Blood of My Son your Lord and Savior?

So tell me child, why are you not Submitting unto me and Resisting the devil as I have not only Told you to do but commanded you to do and have already authorized you to do so in Jesus?!!

Wake up you sleeper and fight your fight and be found standing strong and not wavering under your enemies head games and giving attention to his accusations.

Look....bottom line, we can make all the excuses we want and pat each other on the back, but that ain't going to get the job done.

It's our RESPONSIBILITY to cast these thoughts down and do spiritual warfare.
Otherwise you are just ALLOWING the devil to play you like a 3 dollar fiddle.

Blessings
FCJ

AMEN!!!!

Yes we need to forgive ourselves. We should take our example from the apsotle Paul who said under the unction of the Holy Spirit... This one thing I do is forget about the past and strive towards the future.

We have to choose to take every thought captive like 2 Corinthians 10:5 says. This is the how... For the enemy is going to bring it all up to keep us condemned and under a sin consciousness. he knows that when we hang onto the memories of past sins it does a couple of things... One it contaminates our faith. It takes away our confidence in the finished works of Jesus and His blood. It also says to our Lord... What You did for me was not enough. Everything You went through was not enough... We need to earn it and pay our own price. Those are the things the enemy is trying to get is to grab ahold of. The arrogance of not needing a Savior, trying to do it on our own, like the Israelites did... Right before they received the law (10 commandments).

We have to forget on purpose and stand boldly on 1 John 1:9 and trust in the faithfulness of Jesus and His truthfulness. For when we take Him at His Word... Freedom comes and the yoke of bondage is destroyed.

Blessings

Well said, Cturtle.

We've all been there...

I agree with all Cturtle said. The enemy of this world does whisper in our ears as Cturtle so wonderfully stated.
We can choose to entertain and dwell on those thoughts or we can tell the enemy those things are not true. Maybe they were once true, but they are not true any longer. For me it comes in waves. I am great for a week or so and then the whispers come. When the enemy whispers thoughts into my mind I say out loud THAT IS NOT WHO I AM. THAT IS NOT WHAT MY GOD SAYS ABOUT ME. For me I have to say it out loud and it works.

Not one of us are exempt from attacks. At some point the enemy will bring up our past / mistakes / low self-esteem issues, etc. and throw them back into our faces. I am so very grateful that "That is not what God says about me". Those things are no longer true. It's a battle for me at times because I have issues with low self-esteem. I think its from being in bad marriage for so long. I tend to believe the lies thrown at me so I have been on a personal mission lately to not believe the lies of the enemy. It's a work in progress from me. I loved reading your post this morning. This is a great reminder to me that I am well on my way and I know I am moving forward and doing the right thing. It also reminds me that I am not alone in this area. We all struggle with this problem of self doubt or not forgiving ourselves. God is truly so wonderful to act in so much love and compassion toward us each and every time we deal with this.

This is also a reminder that we cannot do it alone. We need God The Father, God The Son, God The Spirit every single day and we need each other. We need community and friends to help lift us up and help carry us when we get down. Some people like to throw things your face, but Gods way of love is so much nicer.

I agree with all Cturtle said. The enemy of this world does whisper in our ears as Cturtle so wonderfully stated.
We can choose to entertain and dwell on those thoughts or we can tell the enemy those things are not true. Maybe they were once true, but they are not true any longer. For me it comes in waves. I am great for a week or so and then the whispers come. When the enemy whispers thoughts into my mind I say out loud THAT IS NOT WHO I AM. THAT IS NOT WHAT MY GOD SAYS ABOUT ME. For me I have to say it out loud and it works.

Not one of us are exempt from attacks. At some point the enemy will bring up our past / mistakes / low self-esteem issues, etc. and throw them back into our faces. I am so very grateful that "That is not what God says about me". Those things are no longer true. It's a battle for me at times because I have issues with low self-esteem. I think its from being in bad marriage for so long. I tend to believe the lies thrown at me so I have been on a personal mission lately to not believe the lies of the enemy. It's a work in progress from me. I loved reading your post this morning. This is a great reminder to me that I am well on my way and I know I am moving forward and doing the right thing. It also reminds me that I am not alone in this area. We all struggle with this problem of self doubt or not forgiving ourselves. God is truly so wonderful to act in so much love and compassion toward us each and every time we deal with this.

This is also a reminder that we cannot do it alone. We need God The Father, God The Son, God The Spirit every single day and we need each other. We need community and friends to help lift us up and help carry us when we get down. Some people like to throw things your face, but Gods way of love is so much nicer.

AMEN!!!

Not one of us are exempt from attacks. At some point the enemy will bring up our past / mistakes / low self-esteem issues, etc. and throw them back into our faces. I am so very grateful that "That is not what God says about me". Those things are no longer true.

Hello CoffeeDrinker;

Thank you for your post and am enjoyed the teachings on "learning" to forgive ourselves.

God bless you, sister.

Blessings

Totally agree. It's something you have to CHOOSE to do every single day. Some days it's easy to do and some days...on those not so good days...it can be a struggle. But I guess you have to push through it and keep going.

I want to add something here as was thinking how brother kev says you messed up, you repent, God forgives. (Again)

Why are do we hold on to shame and guilt, well personally being a quite a confessed messy person, I do not hold on to shame and guilt because if I did I would not even get out of bed to do anything for fear of making a mess. I dont let the enemy say, and this is actually what my boss used to say to me all the time if it cant be perfect you might as well dont do it at all. Which is very stupid way to think because he although well intentioned just gives unrealistic timeframes for perfection.

A mess can be cleaned up, and then the mess is forgotten because there is no mess anymore. I dont need reminding that I made a mess an hour ago if I cleaned the mess up or in the process of cleaning it up. The thing is when you do things chances are you will make a mess. There is no way that I can see that you always do everything perfect exactly right the first time especially if you are in the process of learning.

You will get better as you go along. You will become faster and wiser and make less mistakes. There is no point beating myself up over every little thing. GOds mercies are new each morning.

Another way to look at it is remember when Peter asked Jesus just how many times you forgive a brother like seven? And Jesus says no more like seventy times seven...do the maths, its quite a number of times.

Peter messed up big time when he denied Jesus before the rooster crowed three times. I bet he was feeling pretty guilty and hard on himself. Yet Jesus forgave him, and asked him three times do you love me? If you love me Feed my sheep. Feed my lambs.

JEsus didnt ask Peter that he just needed to forgive himself, although he could have but personally I dont quite know what that means because Jesus didnt want Peter to focus on his own self. He simply wanted Peter to get on with the business of showing his love to others.

I think many people are overly obssessed with their own selves and self-absorbed. Its not all about us. Its all about Jesus.

Back