Lent?

It wasn't until later in my life that I became more interested in history.

This is mainly due to a desire to research various doctrines, be they true or false, to understand origins.

Following is an excerpt from an article on the referenced website that I found interesting:

According to the Roman Church, Lent is derived from the 40 days Yeshua spent fasting in the wilderness, but it is admitted that the observance of Lent was unknown to the disciples and it did not find its way into the church until several centuries after the time of the Messiah. Lent was an indispensible preliminary to the great annual festival in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Tammuz -- which was celebrated by alternate weeping and rejoicing. So the 40 days of Lent is connected with the Babylonian goddess Ashtoreth/ Astarte/Ishtar (the origin of the word Easter), and the worship of Tammuz.​

by Michael Scheifler

It wasn't until later in my life that I became more interested in history.

This is mainly due to a desire to research various doctrines, be they true or false, to understand origins.

Following is an excerpt from an article on the referenced website that I found interesting:

According to the Roman Church, Lent is derived from the 40 days Yeshua spent fasting in the wilderness, but it is admitted that the observance of Lent was unknown to the disciples and it did not find its way into the church until several centuries after the time of the Messiah. Lent was an indispensible preliminary to the great annual festival in commemoration of the death and resurrection of Tammuz -- which was celebrated by alternate weeping and rejoicing. So the 40 days of Lent is connected with the Babylonian goddess Ashtoreth/ Astarte/Ishtar (the origin of the word Easter), and the worship of Tammuz.​

by Michael Scheifler
I too love history. Take a moment and search out "Semerammis". I am not sure of the spellig.

Many do not know this but TAMMUZ was the son of Nimrod and his wife Semerramis. (Genesis 10).

They were presented as a holy trinity....Husband-Wife-Son. She was a prostitute who said she was dropped into the Euphrates River by doves and pushed onto the shore by fish. She was said to be the beginning of the goddes religion of Ishtar/Ashtoreth (Easter).

When Nimrod and Semerramis and Tammuz came down the street all the people were forced to bow to the knee and "CROSS" themselves with the sign of the "T".

What about Shauvot (Pentecost) isn't that 50 days until Jesus ascension or the holy spirit coming upon the church?

Here Anglicans do lent as do Catholics, but other churches it just passes them by as they don't do the liturgical calendar. Though some baptist churches observe Advent.

I don't know if 7th day adventists observe Advent though! lol

In Roman Catholic countries it seems like every single day is a day for the feast or observance of some saint or other.
Sometimes you find on 7th day adventist websites they proclaim that every single thing the RCC does is derived from some pagan origin.

I wouldn't get too caught up in it, unless its part of what I personally observe myself. Some people celebrate special days, for others, every day is alike. You need to make up your own mind on what days are important to you. And of course every church has their own traditions.

eg in October a lot of Island churches celebrate White Sunday.

Last edited:
I remember doing the 40 hour famine as a child. Not sure exactly what day it was but it was kinda based on Jesus 40 days in wilderness where he fasted.
You raise money for World Vision and can only eat barley sugars, drink fruit juice or water for 40 hours. No food!

What about Shauvot (Pentecost) isn't that 50 days until Jesus ascension or the holy spirit coming upon the church?

Here Anglicans do lent as do Catholics, but other churches it just passes them by as they don't do the liturgical calendar. Though some baptist churches observe Advent.

I don't know if 7th day adventists observe Advent though! lol

In Roman Catholic countries it seems like every single day is a day for the feast or observance of some saint or other.
Sometimes you find on 7th day adventist websites they proclaim that every single thing the RCC does is derived from some pagan origin or other.

I wouldn't get too caught up in it, unless its part of what I personally observe myself. Some people celebrate special days, for others, every day is alike. You need to make up your own mind on what days are important to you. And of course every church has their own traditions.

eg in October a lot of Island churches celebrate White Sunday.

You know, there are interesting practices all over. Living in a fallen world, perhaps it's inevitable that traditions of men of all sorts, whether they originate from false religion, culture, etc., will always creep into whatever religions and man-made denominations and organizations of all types, wherever those peoples are involved. We take with us who and what we are into whatever we pour ourselves into.

Not sage words from me, necessarily, but off the cuff...

MM

According to my Collins English dictionary, Lent means spring, or literally lengthening (hours of daylight).

Of course in the southern hemisphere, passover and easter occur in autumn. Days are getting shorter.

Back