Less is More

crossnote

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Mark 8:
19 When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve.
20 And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven. (Mar 8:19, 20)

In vs 19 we see less loaves (5 compared to 7), given out to more people (5000 compared to 4000) yields more left overs (12 baskets compared to 7 baskets).

Hello crossnote;

While reading Less is More I took out my old notes. It reminded me of a side-note, or minor note of the remaining baskets of bread that we studied years ago.

The 12 baskets are from the Old Testament representing the 12 tribes in the Old Testament while the 7 baskets represented the Gentiles.

The 7 baskets were the seven nations that occupied the Promised Land during the time of Moses - Canaanites, the Amorites, the Girgashites, the Hittites, the Hivites, the Jebusites and the Perizzites.

Deuteronomy 7:1, “When the Lord your God brings you into the land that you are entering to take possession of it, and clears away many nations before you, the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations more numerous and mightier than you,

The 7 baskets also represented the Sabbath or completion of 6 days labor.

At the time I didn't considered this significant other than a side-note, or minor note.
Difference Between Fact or Truth? To me, the feeding of 5000 and 4000 was more significant.

However, I may be wrong. If it's in the Bible then all things are significant.

God bless you and thank you for sharing this thread, crossnote.

Hello crossnote;

While reading Less is More I took out my old notes. It reminded me of a side-note, or minor note of the remaining baskets of bread that we studied years ago.

The 12 baskets are from the Old Testament representing the 12 tribes in the Old Testament while the 7 baskets represented the Gentiles.

The 7 baskets were the seven nations that occupied the Promised Land during the time of Moses - Canaanites, the Amorites, the Girgashites, the Hittites, the Hivites, the Jebusites and the Perizzites.

Deuteronomy 7:1, “When the Lord your God brings you into the land that you are entering to take possession of it, and clears away many nations before you, the Hittites, the Girgashites, the Amorites, the Canaanites, the Perizzites, the Hivites, and the Jebusites, seven nations more numerous and mightier than you,

The 7 baskets also represented the Sabbath or completion of 6 days labor.

At the time I didn't considered this significant other than a side-note, or minor note.
Difference Between Fact or Truth? To me, the feeding of 5000 and 4000 was more significant.

However, I may be wrong. If it's in the Bible then all things are significant.

God bless you and thank you for sharing this thread, crossnote.
Bob perhaps the significance I saw in this is that God seems to specialize when we are at our lowest or plum out of resources, He shows Himself more than sufficient. Think of Gideon when he reduced his prospective army from thousands down to 300...

Judges 7:2 (KJV) And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people that are with thee are too many for me to give the Midianites into their hands, lest Israel vaunt themselves against me, saying, Mine own hand hath saved me.

Judges 7:4 (KJV) And the LORD said unto Gideon, The people are yet too many; bring them down unto the water, and I will try them for thee there: and it shall be, that of whom I say unto thee, This shall go with thee, the same shall go with thee; and of whomsoever I say unto thee, This shall not go with thee, the same shall not go.

Judges 7:6 (KJV) And the number of them that lapped, putting their hand to their mouth, were three hundred men: but all the rest of the people bowed down upon their knees to drink water.

Mark 8:
19 When I brake the five loaves among five thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? They say unto him, Twelve.
20 And when the seven among four thousand, how many baskets full of fragments took ye up? And they said, Seven. (Mar 8:19, 20)

In vs 19 we see less loaves (5 compared to 7), given out to more people (5000 compared to 4000) yields more left overs (12 baskets compared to 7 baskets).

Could it be that there were Two different feedings.

Sometimes the right answer is the simplest one.

Back