Lessons from God

My day has been long and terrible at work and school, but through it all the Lord has taught me some valuable lessons I would like to share with you.

Lessons from God:
1. God is to be feared
2. God can do what he wants with us
3. Though you be covered in darkness, the Lord always restores you. Though you may die, he will resurrect you
4. Everything God does is for the good of his children, even if it seems evil and cruel

1. The first lesson was taught by the Lord terrifying me with ominous clouds, rain, hail, and lightning. The dread of tornadoes and the boom of thunder made me plead with him for mercy. As a sinner, in the flesh, I became deeply scared of the Lord. I feared he sought to change me and discipline me his powerful hand, or perhaps with a dangerously close bolt of lightning. I was walking out to my car with my head down scared of what would come and suddenly a bolt of lightning touched maybe a mile out directly in front of me. I jumped back in fear and waited for its sound. It cracked the sky and rattled my ear drums. At that point I knew there was nothing I could do, if the Lord so wished to terrify and kill me, he could do so. I cryed over and over "I am nothing! I can do nothing!". Yes, I was spared, but very very scared. If anyone is to be feared, it is the Lord.

2. This startled me and confused me so much I didn't know what to do in my soul. I was deeply afraid and troubled by the severity of his hand that I didn't want to so much as look at another person. My following 4 hour shift at work was terrible: nothing but complete silence from me, a guy who is normally friendly and funny. I contemplated quitting because work alongside my existential crisis was too much to handle. I had been in this suicidal give-up state before, yet I wasn't concerned with how God always brought me out at the end. While cleaning the restrooms God restored my sanity to me with the thought "God does what he wants with his own.". Everything clicked: everyone including God's children die before Christ's return, so why would it be unjust for him to kill or torture me if he so wished? He can do with me what he pleases, and I was soon to find out it was all for good.

3. Though my day was rough and terrible, this realization restored me to faith and trust in my father. Though I had been terribly troubled and terrified, it was only for a period, and I once again was praising him for his wonderful wisdom.

4. The reason was because instead of quitting I cut my work hours in half. God, through this crisis taught me important lessons and gave me less hours of stress, as I have been deeply stressed due to both school and work. I praised him in my heart because I knew once again that for God's children everything works together for good. Praise him.

My day has been long and terrible at work and school, but through it all the Lord has taught me some valuable lessons I would like to share with you.

Lessons from God:
1. God is to be feared
3. Though you be covered in darkness, the Lord always restores you. Though you may die, he will resurrect you
4. Everything God does is for the good of his children, even if it seems evil and cruel

1. The first lesson was taught by the Lord terrifying me with ominous clouds, rain, hail, and lightning. The dread of tornadoes and the boom of thunder made me plead with him for mercy. As a sinner, in the flesh, I became deeply scared of the Lord. I feared he sought to change me and discipline me his powerful hand, or perhaps with a dangerously close bolt of lightning. I was walking out to my car with my head down scared of what would come and suddenly a bolt of lightning touched maybe a mile out directly in front of me. I jumped back in fear and waited for its sound. It cracked the sky and rattled my ear drums. At that point I knew there was nothing I could do, if the Lord so wished to terrify and kill me, he could do so. I cryed over and over "I am nothing! I can do nothing!". Yes, I was spared, but very very scared. If anyone is to be feared, it is the Lord.

2. This startled me and confused me so much I didn't know what to do in my soul. I was deeply afraid and troubled by the severity of his hand that I didn't want to so much as look at another person. My following 4 hour shift at work was terrible: nothing but complete silence from me, a guy who is normally friendly and funny. I contemplated quitting because work alongside my existential crisis was too much to handle. I had been in this suicidal give-up state before, yet I wasn't concerned with how God always brought me out at the end. While cleaning the restrooms God restored my sanity to me with the thought "God does what he wants with his own.". Everything clicked: everyone including God's children die before Christ's return, so why would it be unjust for him to kill or torture me if he so wished? He can do with me what he pleases, and I was soon to find out it was all for good.

3. Though my day was rough and terrible, this realization restored me to faith and trust in my father. Though I had been terribly troubled and terrified, it was only for a period, and I once again was praising him for his wonderful wisdom.

4. The reason was because instead of quitting I cut my work hours in half. God, through this crisis taught me important lessons and gave me less hours of stress, as I have been deeply stressed due to both school and work. I praised him in my heart because I knew once again that for God's children everything works together for good. Praise him.
I have to admit that I am a bit disturbed by this.

I need to ask why you think that is was God doing this to you...terrifying you like that. Based on what I know about God He wouldn't treat one of His children in the way you described.

I have to admit that I am a bit disturbed by this.

I need to ask why you think that is was God doing this to you...terrifying you like that. Based on what I know about God He wouldn't treat one of His children in the way you described.
You have yet to understand the power of the Lord then.

Deut 32:39
See now that I myself am he! There is no god besides me. I put to death and I bring to life, I have wounded and I will heal, and no one can deliver out of my hand.

How ought God to treat us Mykuhl? Can you say he was wrong in scareing me like that? He taught me a lesson about his power and I am thankful to him.

Also, please notice, I said I was deeply scared of God IN MY FLESH. My flesh saw the power of God and was terrified, it was not my spirit. But still, it was a valuable lesson God taught me.

Sorry for the confusion.

Last edited:
I truly appreciate all that you were able to glean from all of this, and how God spoke to you through all of this....but what you say about God bringing down this storm is not in God's character. It may be in Zeus's but God does not correct us with fear of being zapped with a lightning bolt or killed by some falling hail or swept up in a tornado. These things come from the enemy.

God uses His Word to correct us. Now if we happen to be in sin, then we open the door for the enemy to take a shot at us that He did not have coming.

Since Jesus has come to be our covering, God treats us with grace and love. He does not scare us with the weather. But if you gained something about God and drew closer to Him so that He can love on you in the midst of the scary situation...then i am sure God is pleased.

blessings my friend

I think we should be at times afraid of God. He is one awesome being, after all He did create the world and everything in it.
Perhaps God treating you like He did or made you feel is a test.
Remember, God loves us all equally, despite our imperfections.

Im gonna be frank,

this is so distorted, its not even funny...

you seem paranoid honestly... if thunder can make you think God is mad at you... for one there's bazillions of us on the face of this earth.. "If thunder signaled his anger..that could have been for anybody..or frankly.. all of us XD"

Its good to marvel at all he created .. and his might... but I guess thats one major thing I like about God.. he's not a bully.. if He really
wanted to
He could just snap his fingers and we'd all be dust blowing is His cosmic wind..

And although wht youre saying is true, he can do with us as he pleases; he's not vicious... we're not talking about Zeus..
we're talking abt a god who dwelled among us, died a shameful death .. just to give us eternal life in paradise w/ him...

a god who has our hairs numbered, counted our tears, knows when we sit up or sit down, knows our thoughts and personally formed us...

why would harm anyone?

I think you just need to...read more on His love, I think that'll drive the fear out.

Im gonna be frank,

this is so distorted, its not even funny...

you seem paranoid honestly... if thunder can make you think God is mad at you... for one there's bazillions of us on the face of this earth.. "If thunder signaled his anger..that could have been for anybody..or frankly.. all of us XD"

Its good to marvel at all he created .. and his might... but I guess thats one major thing I like about God.. he's not a bully.. if He really
wanted to
He could just snap his fingers and we'd all be dust blowing is His cosmic wind..

And although wht youre saying is true, he can do with us as he pleases; he's not vicious... we're not talking about Zeus..
we're talking abt a god who dwelled among us, died a shameful death .. just to give us eternal life in paradise w/ him...

a god who has our hairs numbered, counted our tears, knows when we sit up or sit down, knows our thoughts and personally formed us...

why would harm anyone?

I think you just need to...read more on His love, I think that'll drive the fear out.
I already said it was fear in my flesh. I know God is love, but unbelievers really have something to fear.

Genesis 15:12 (KJV)
And when the sun was going down, a deep sleep fell upon Abram; and, lo, an horror of great darkness fell upon him.​

Exodus 20:21 (KJV)
And the people stood afar off, and Moses drew near unto the thick darkness where God [was].​

I thought about this and it came to me that indeed the darkness is from God, sort of. I though "Why darkness and not light, James 1:17?" It's OUR perception of Him, not Him. The darkness is the sin within us and God is so pure that sin cannot be in His presence so the darkness we perceive is not Him, but our sins being reflected back upon us - all of it - like a mirror, but amplified by God's purity. We live in sin, so we're comfortable with it, used to it, but when compared to God's purity, it's horrible and terrifying to us.

Just my two cents.

this reminds of a line in the song Amazing Grace:

"Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved
How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed"

although, as I look back, as I see it, it is more of the first 2 last first, then the first 2 lines : )

"How precious did that grace appear
The hour I first believed

Twas grace that taught my heart to fear
And grace my fears relieved"

Lessons from God:
1. God is to be feared

Not sure if Lord would really threaten us like that.. Below is a portion of scripture from 2 Corinthians 3. It says, where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. We have hope and we are bold. That is what scripture says. I don't know if Lord would threaten us. I liked the way Abdicate put it as well..

We all are in flesh.. At the same time, Holy Spirit dwells in us. And we have freedom through Holy Spirit

12 Since we have such a hope, we are very bold, 13 not like Moses, who would put a veil over his face so that the Israelites might not gaze at the outcome of what was being brought to an end. 14 But their minds were hardened. For to this day, when they read the old covenant, that same veil remains unlifted, because only through Christ is it taken away. 15 Yes, to this day whenever Moses is read a veil lies over their hearts. 16 But when one[c] turns to the Lord, the veil is removed. 17 Now the Lord[d] is the Spirit, and where the Spirit of the Lord is, there is freedom. 18 And we all, with unveiled face, beholding the glory of the Lord,[e] are being transformed into the same image from one degree of glory to another. For this comes from the Lord who is the Spirit.

Back