Lessons from life as we share it with God

While gardening today, I was thinking about the lessons we learn in our daily activities and routines. In gardening there are many lessons that can be learned, but this true of any activity we get involved in. I'm hoping we can share with one another some of the things we learn in our various activities.

As Christians we have God with us and in us. Pondering God's word there are many applications in our daily life.

Adam was instructed to dress and keep the Garden of Eden (Gen2:15).

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (KJV)

1 Cor 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (KJV)

As I'm working in the garden and the yard, I'm doing my best to beautify the space so as to show more love towards my neighbors. Though my yard is my own, it is still seen and reflects God in my life or his absence.

There are many more lessons we can share.

Hello Chuck;

After reading Lessons from life as we share it with God,

In 1999 my former Pastor, Youth Group Mom and about 10 teens and I traveled to Belize, Central America on a short term missionary to build a playground for a children's temporary shelter.

Prior to leaving I remember at our last worship service a young boy about 6 years admired my electric guitar while I was preparing to lead with the praise team. He looked at me with excitement but I felt bothered by this young boy and didn't want him near my guitar.

The next day we left for our missions trip. When we arrived we went to the place where we would serve. It was a temporary children's shelter for abused children who would later be transferred to a permanent shelter or home. Many of the children were 2 years old up to 9 years. Some had bruises on their faces, arms, legs and even their eyes. It was pretty terrifying to see these little children of God.

For 10 days we were in the hot sun digging dirt in an open field next to the shelter and in the evening we went back to the place we stayed, a back house to a hospital, through the kindness of our host, a long time missionary. We would have dinner followed by our devotions.

On the 3rd night, it was my turn to lead devotions and I shared,
"I have to be honest. I was miserable digging dirt in the hot sun and leveling the field. I wanted to go back to the United States." We all felt the same but agreed why we were in Belize. It wasn't a luxury vacation but a mission to do God's work.

The next days seemed long days filled with sweat and we drank lots of water. One day as I was pulling a rake I found a little rubber ball and kicked it. It so happened that a little boy was standing there. He ran after the little ball, picked it up and brought it back to me. I noticed he had bruises on his body and this pricked my heart. So I started to gently toss the ball to him and he just kept laughing. I started to melt.

Toward the end of our two weeks we completed the playground and when the children came out I remember the laughter while watching them play on the swings, slides and running around. When I took away the bruises and whatever suffering the children endured, they seem to forget it all and were filled with children's joy and laughter.

When we traveled back home we went to church that Sunday. While I was setting up for worship service, that little 6 year old boy came back up, but this time he was a little hesitant and looked at me. I stopped what I was doing, put my arm around his shoulder and walked over to my guitar. I gently put the guitar strap around him and kind of spoke to him, softly. His eyes lit up like a volkswagen as he stroke the guitar strings and the smile on his face is a moment I'll never forget.

I learned a lesson, that children at such a young age can have a lasting impression on how we as adults treat them. That impression can be the Love of Jesus and go a long way in a child's life. All of God's children are His, especially His little ones who endured a tougher life.

Praise His Wonderful Name!

I never really give it a thought before. this is a good thread for those who feel like they aren't contributing enough to the world.

well I like feeding the birds. and small animals, especially in winter. I prepare my breakfast, and on one plate, I put mine, and on another, I place some breakfast for them. they come and feed and even though I don't always see them I know they eat as its all gone by morning. and even though I don't see them, I still do it.....I this I think is a generous trait, maybe love? as seen in God, which we all have.

I never really give it a thought before. this is a good thread for those who feel like they aren't contributing enough to the world.

well I like feeding the birds. and small animals, especially in winter. I prepare my breakfast, and on one plate, I put mine, and on another, I place some breakfast for them. they come and feed and even though I don't always see them I know they eat as its all gone by morning. and even though I don't see them, I still do it.....I this I think is a generous trait, maybe love? as seen in God, which we all have.

It's all about the attitude in which we approach what you do. When we see God in what we do even the smallest of things can be a lesson. Your feeding the birds certainly is an act of love for the birds and possibly others if they find enjoyment in watching the birds at play.

The lessons we learn come from the application of God's word in our lives.

For instance Phil 4:8 talks about these things we think and do. When I do my artwork I strive to make something pleasing that brings enjoyment to others. I might not accomplish that task as intended, but in striving to create something pleasing God would bless the effort. There is a lesson to be learned. It was the attitude and the approach to the task that was important.

As we read and meditate on God's word, it becomes easier through God's spirit in us to apply it in our lives. I would love to hear other stories and will share more of my own in time.

cp

While gardening today, I was thinking about the lessons we learn in our daily activities and routines. In gardening there are many lessons that can be learned, but this true of any activity we get involved in. I'm hoping we can share with one another some of the things we learn in our various activities.

As Christians we have God with us and in us. Pondering God's word there are many applications in our daily life.

Adam was instructed to dress and keep the Garden of Eden (Gen2:15).

Philippians 4:8 Finally, brethren, whatsoever things are true, whatsoever things are honest, whatsoever things are just, whatsoever things are pure, whatsoever things are lovely, whatsoever things are of good report; if there be any virtue, and if there be any praise, think on these things. (KJV)

1 Cor 10:31 Whether therefore ye eat, or drink, or whatsoever ye do, do all to the glory of God. (KJV)

As I'm working in the garden and the yard, I'm doing my best to beautify the space so as to show more love towards my neighbors. Though my yard is my own, it is still seen and reflects God in my life or his absence.

There are many more lessons we can share.

Good post!

I also enjoy working in the yard. I mow, and trim and plant and move plants that are not doing well. My wife continuously tells me to stop doing so much. What I keep telling her is that we all need to do what like to do as long as we can, because there will come a day when we will not be able to do those things.

Then also, we need to do all things to the glory of God so that we can make a difference in this world we live in.

God bless you my dear brother!

Good post!

I also enjoy working in the yard. I mow, and trim and plant and move plants that are not doing well. My wife continuously tells me to stop doing so much. What I keep telling her is that we all need to do what like to do as long as we can, because there will come a day when we will not be able to do those things.

Then also, we need to do all things to the glory of God so that we can make a difference in this world we live in.

God bless you my dear brother!

I love it. Two lessons in one. Going about our life glorifying God in all that we do and doing all things with all our might when we are able to do (Eccl 9:10).

cp

For several reasons I have chosen a lower cost approach to obtaining materials. This requires patience because my second hand sources don't always have lumber and the chips I request are delivered only when available from a local arborist.

Since I have plenty of work to be done patiently waiting for materials is not a hardship.

Currently I'm looking at a couple of lots on an auction site.

Wood (sml).JPG

Over the summer I installed a new roof. It was quite a process, first tearing off the old roof and replacing rotted or otherwise damaged materials. Once the debris had been removed, cleaned and inspected, it was time to install the new roof. I installed that roof per instructions and code, I thought. When the inspector came though I discovered I misread instructions and needed to rework some of the flashing.

To accomplish all that needed to be corrected, I was going to have to tear off the entire new roof. :(:cry: It was not what I hoped to hear. While it was necessary to remove the roofing again, I gained much more experience in this product and researched a lot more on methods of waterproofing. If this had not come up I might not have been as motivated to do this research. God certainly knows how to direct are steps. It is comforting to know that while we make mistakes God is always there and will help us to make use of these opportunities as well.

I love that God's way always works out in the end to the good.

cp

Over the summer I installed a new roof. It was quite a process, first tearing off the old roof and replacing rotted or otherwise damaged materials. Once the debris had been removed, cleaned and inspected, it was time to install the new roof. I installed that roof per instructions and code, I thought. When the inspector came though I discovered I misread instructions and needed to rework some of the flashing.

To accomplish all that needed to be corrected, I was going to have to tear off the entire new roof. :(:cry: It was not what I hoped to hear. While it was necessary to remove the roofing again, I gained much more experience in this product and researched a lot more on methods of waterproofing. If this had not come up I might not have been as motivated to do this research. God certainly knows how to direct are steps. It is comforting to know that while we make mistakes God is always there and will help us to make use of these opportunities as well.

cp

What are the chances you will be in Central Fl. any time soon?????

cp

Hey, Chuck;

I am impressed and just thought of something.

When our hearts are put into ministry, projects, work and have setbacks, with God success is just around the corner.

God bless you, brother! šŸ˜Ž

Hey, Chuck;

I am impressed and just thought of something.

When our hearts are put into ministry, projects, work and have setbacks, with God success is just around the corner.

God bless you, brother! šŸ˜Ž

Setbacks are part of life, how we deal with them is what is important. I do believe though that with setbacks we inch that much closer to the final victory. Anyway with God at our side we know all things will work together for good.

cp

Well for me, school hasn't started yet (it's next week) so I haven't been learning or doing any lessons!
In fact, I am technically not allowed to teach at all (I'm not a registered teacher) but I provide the library space where learning is going to happen.

We had teacher only days last week though and all the teachers had meetings and there was one morning session in which we learned tapasa.
What is tapasa?

Well it's actually a Samoan word that translates as 'compass'.
Amidst all the various concepts and things we learned was, children, especially pacific Island children are navigators. And school is another world to them, often a quite unfamiliar world with a whole different set of rules and expectations, even a different language, that they need to find their way around. In Island homes, they don't have that much furniture, they just all sit on the mat. So things like tables and chairs and everyone having their own desk or own anything is not really familiar. That's just one example. I can think of many others where, in school things are just totally different to the way things are done at home.

The other thing we did was each staff member was asked to share their name and where it came from, and then something about their origins and where they were born. We learned so much about each other. Some of us were locals, some were immigrants, some adopted, some had ancestors that set foot on the land hundreds of years ago, some came to NZ only 3 years ago. I think that was a good way to get to know each other as its often the first thing you get asked 'where are you from'?

No doubt Jesus was asked this all the time. Imagine how he would have answered, born in Bethlehem, fled to Egypt, raised in Nazareth, worked in Galilee, Father's house in Jerusalem, but actually, He'd been here forever. Son of God (but you don't go telling people that) or son of Man. Jewish and His name means 'Salvation'.

How y'all can make me cry and laugh in a few minutes reading is definitely character building... jus' sayin'

Thanks for stopping by. I'm glad that you were able to experience both. I' got to wonder sometimes if God doesn't have a big laugh at times as he watches over us. Perhaps he even cries when we bring harm to ourselves. I'm grateful though that when we stumble he is there, ready to help, guide and instruct.

cp

Back