Life and death are in the power of the tongue

kjv Proverbs 18:21
Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof.
nlt....the tongue can bring death or life; those who love to talk will reap the consequences.

2 Samuel 23:2
The Spirit of the Lord spake by me, and His Word was in my tongue.

Jam 3:2 — Jam 3:18
For in many things we offend all. If any man offend not in word, the same is a perfect man, and able also to bridle the whole body.
Behold, we put bits in the horses' mouths, that they may obey us; and we turn about their whole body.
Behold also the ships, which though they be so great, and are driven of fierce winds, yet are they turned about with a very small helm, whithersoever the governor listeth.
Even so the tongue is a little member, and boasteth great things. Behold, how great a matter a little fire kindleth!
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
For every kind of beasts, and of birds, and of serpents, and of things in the sea, is tamed, and hath been tamed of mankind:
But the tongue can no man tame; it is an unruly evil, full of deadly poison.
Therewith bless we God, even the Father; and therewith curse we men, which are made after the similitude of God.
Out of the same mouth proceedeth blessing and cursing. My brethren, these things ought not so to be.
Doth a fountain send forth at the same place sweet water and bitter?
Can the fig tree, my brethren, bear olive berries? either a vine, figs? so can no fountain both yield salt water and fresh.Who is a wise man and endued with knowledge among you? let him shew out of a good conversation his works with meekness of wisdom.
But if ye have bitter envying and strife in your hearts, glory not, and lie not against the truth.
This wisdom descendeth not from above, but is earthly, sensual, devilish.
For where envying and strife is, there is confusion and every evil work.
But the wisdom that is from above is first pure, then peaceable, gentle, and easy to be intreated, full of mercy and good fruits, without partiality, and without hypocrisy.
And the fruit of righteousness is sown in peace of them that make peace.

Ps 34:13
Keep thy tongue from evil, and thy lips from speaking guile or deception

Ps 39:1
I said, i will take heed to my ways, that i sin not with my tongue: i will keep my mouth with a bridle, while the wicked is before me

Proverbs 10:31-32 the mouth of the just bringeth forth wisdom: but the froward (or disobedient) tongue shall be cut out. The lips of the righteous know what is acceptable: but the mouth of the wicked speaketh frowardness.

Prov. 12:17-19, 22
17) He that speaketh truth sheweth forth righteousness: but a false witness deciet.
18) there is that speaketh like the piercings of a sword: but the tongue of the wise is health.
19) the lip of truth shall be established forever: but a lying tongue is but for a moment.
22) lying lips are abomination to the Lord: but they that deal truly are His delight.

Proverbs 15:4 - A wholesome tongue [is] a tree of life: but perverseness therein [is] a breach in the spirit

Ephesians 4:29 - Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers

Proverbs 13:3 - He that keepeth his mouth keepeth his life: [but] he that openeth wide his lips shall have destruction

Deuteronomy 30:19-20
I call Heaven and earth to record this day against you, that i have set before you life and death, blessing and cursing: threrefore choose life, that both you and your seed may live. That thou mayest love the Lord thy God, and that thou mayest obey His voice, and that thou mayest cleave unto Him: for He is thy life, and the length of thy days: and thou mayest dwell in the land which the Lord sware unto thy fathers, to Abraham, to Issac, and to Jacob, to give them.

The part that i want for you to see is that God desires that we choose Life so that we and our seed may live. He has already chosen us....but we have to make the choice to choose Him or not. We have to choose to obey Him or not. We have to choose to believe His Word (all of it, and it is our responsibility to know what it says. Listening to your pastor with never cracking the Bible open is not an acceptable replacement). We have to choose to listen to Him or not. We have to choose to put our faith and trust in Him or not. We have to choose to walk in His ways (which are life) or walk in the ways of the world (which are the devil's ways). We have to choose life words or not. But remember that if we choose to not...then we are choosing the curse, that Jesus so brutally died to set us free from.

When we choose Jesus and the life that God so gracously has set before us, that is the faith connection, that allows the power of the burden removing, yolk destroying anointing to manifest in our lives.

In Matthew 6:33says to seek first (ask God first, come to Him first) the Kingdom of God (His ways of doing things and being right) and all His righteousness (that He has so freely given and covered us with, in the Blood of Jesus) and all the things that we need will be added unto us. So if i seek first God, and His ways then i can trust that He will add unto me the things that i need. And the things that i need the most will come first. In the verses above vs.33 (19-32) it says that the gentiles (or the people of the world to us) seek after (or worry, constantly have it on their minds) and place their trust in things. And we are not to be like them.
Words in the parentheses are mine
Blessings

If one reads proverbs 18:21 with the meanings including strongs it reads like this.....
Death and life are in the power (hand, or authority) of the tongue (words): and they that love (have affecton for) it shall eat (devour) the fruit (product) thereof.

So in all reality the words that we speak have the authority to bring life or death. So it may be time to think hard about the words that you speak.

My tongue, over the years, has proven to be one of the most dangerous tools I have. Generally speaking, where my tongue goes, my attitude will follow.

Bridling it (the tongue) has been one of the most difficult things I've had to learn to do; not without scars, to be sure.

Some of its bad traits:

It says "yes" to things it should not.
It defames and gossips.
It overstates truth.

Some of its GOOD traits:

It can praise God in all things.
It can build up and strengthen others.
It can speak truth when there is none to be found.

-Soupy

The tongue speaks from the heart, Luke 6:45. So it the heart that needs to get fixed. The heart is 5000 times more powerful than the mind, yet with a suggestion from the mind can begin to whittle down the heart's influence over a matter. So to fix it, you speak God's truth with your mouth and over time, the heart gets changed for the persistence of the mouth. (This works for one's self.)

Proverbs 15:4 "A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit."

The word "wholesome" is מרפא which literally means "healing" or "cure". Remove the mem (מ) (meaning "from" or "of") and you get רפא which means "to cure" or "to heal" or "to make whole" or "restore". This is the meaning of the name Raphael (רפאל) "God Heals" (רפא אל)

Mem's pictograph is waters. So one could say Proverbs 15:4a can read: "a healing tongue, by the flowing waters from the Holy Spirit, is a tree of life". רפא ultimately is "relax" so if we relax in the Spirit, we will be healed. (רפא also means abate, cease, consume, draw (toward evening), fail, (be) faint, be (wax) feeble, forsake, idle, leave, let alone (go, down), (be) slack, stay, be still, be slothful, (be) weak(-en)).

Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."

John 7:38 "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."

Proverbs 14:30 "A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones."

"sound" here is again מרפא whereas "envy" is like cancer to the bones. It is said that more often than not, arthritis is caused from bitterness. He also says that it's not what we're eating, but what's eating us: anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, worry for tomorrow, to the point we worry when everything's great!

You could say that a peaceful, tranquil heart is life to the body! A relaxed mind is life to the body.

Philippians 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

The word "be careful" is the same as "anxious", to "worry". So speak God's promises:

Psalms 23:1 (KJV)
A Psalm of David. The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.​

Reading James he says people have bitter strife and ENVYING in their hearts.

Actually lots of people envy other people. They are so envious, cos their own situation is not so great, that they will put a person down for what they perceive their own lack.

For example, i had a friend who would say to her sister. Get a boyfriend before its too late. This really hurt the sister cos there is nothing wrong with who she is. This friend is divorced with two children, her sister is unmarried, no children. I think the sister is jealous of her sisters being free without children which is why she says that, to hurt her, cos shes bitter. Shes trying to imply that she is worthless without children.

Btw i was really shocked that this friend would say that. So she isnt what I would call a good friend, cos she has said the same kind of thing to me.

The tongue speaks from the heart, Luke 6:45. So it the heart that needs to get fixed. The heart is 5000 times more powerful than the mind, yet with a suggestion from the mind can begin to whittle down the heart's influence over a matter. So to fix it, you speak God's truth with your mouth and over time, the heart gets changed for the persistence of the mouth. (This works for one's self.)

Proverbs 15:4 "A wholesome tongue is a tree of life: but perverseness therein is a breach in the spirit."

The word "wholesome" is מרפא which literally means "healing" or "cure". Remove the mem (מ) (meaning "from" or "of") and you get רפא which means "to cure" or "to heal" or "to make whole" or "restore". This is the meaning of the name Raphael (רפאל) "God Heals" (רפא אל)

Mem's pictograph is waters. So one could say Proverbs 15:4a can read: "a healing tongue, by the flowing waters from the Holy Spirit, is a tree of life". רפא ultimately is "relax" so if we relax in the Spirit, we will be healed. (רפא also means abate, cease, consume, draw (toward evening), fail, (be) faint, be (wax) feeble, forsake, idle, leave, let alone (go, down), (be) slack, stay, be still, be slothful, (be) weak(-en)).

Proverbs 18:21 "Death and life are in the power of the tongue: and they that love it shall eat the fruit thereof."

John 7:38 "He that believeth on me, as the scripture hath said, out of his belly shall flow rivers of living water."

Proverbs 14:30 "A sound heart is the life of the flesh: but envy the rottenness of the bones."

"sound" here is again מרפא whereas "envy" is like cancer to the bones. It is said that more often than not, arthritis is caused from bitterness. He also says that it's not what we're eating, but what's eating us: anger, bitterness, unforgiveness, worry for tomorrow, to the point we worry when everything's great!

You could say that a peaceful, tranquil heart is life to the body! A relaxed mind is life to the body.

Philippians 4:6 "Be careful for nothing; but in every thing by prayer and supplication with thanksgiving let your requests be made known unto God."

The word "be careful" is the same as "anxious", to "worry". So speak God's promises:

Psalms 23:1 (KJV)
A Psalm of David. The LORD [is] my shepherd; I shall not want.​

Another good verse that goes with what you said is Hebrews 4:10-11a.....for he that is entered into His rest, he also hath ceased from his own works, as God did from His. Let us labor therefore to enter into that rest....

Blessings

Ephesians 4:29
Let no corrupt communication proceed out of your mouth, but that which is good to the use of edifying, that it may minister grace unto the hearers.

Most Believers take this as meaning bad words such as swear words or perverted words and in fact it simply goes much deeper than this.

Such as anything oposed to the written word of God is considered perverted words for it wars against His words destroying and tearing down Faith and Love and Hear This - Answered Prayers.

This is why scriptures tells us to keep His word before our eyes and in our hearts and mouths. For out of the abundance of the heart the mouth does speak.
We are told to bridle the tongue.
We are told there is Life and death in our words.

Word translated is things and things translated is words so we have word things.
Faith is the substance of things hoped for - or word things - Words are more then inocent sounds we use how ever we please. Words make things happen both good and bad or life and death or blessing and cursing.

Simple example how our words can and do work either for us or against us.
You lost your job and the morgage is due and so is the yearly tax's and utility bills are due.
You pray and use some scripture that God will meet your needs. You feel as if God is going to take care of this........You later at dinner tell your spouse I just dont see how God is going to get us this 3500 dollars. You know they will take our home away in 90 days if we dont.

So you go to prayer meeting and the brothers lay hands over you and pray and the spirit of God fills the place and you just know He is going to take care of this.
You know you have to stay in faith and stand on His word. You say that you are.

Now you have not even left the brother house from the meeting and you already are saying , man nothing ever works out for me and I know I am gonna loose my house. Oh praise God I have faith He will come through. The next day you wake up and satan is right there planting worry on you.... What if God does not come through - your going to be on ther streets homeless........what you do next is vital......First words count more......
Honey what if God does not do this - were gonna be homeless in 90 days. What are we gonna do........

Hey dont laugh at this - Look at this carefully - is this truly standing on His word in Faith?
Are you wavering ?

Mark 11:23-24 and Matthew 21:21 are just a couple of places where Jesus is trying to teach us we simply have what we say.

No, this works both ways - good and bad.
God created everything through words
satan knows this and knows how important and alive words are and this is why he is always and I mean always trying to get your words. For once satan gets you to speak oposed to Gods word then he has a foot in the door to the situation.

James teaches us that the tongue is an untame fire from hell.
James 3:6
And the tongue is a fire, a world of iniquity: so is the tongue among our members, that it defileth the whole body, and setteth on fire the course of nature; and it is set on fire of hell.
Course of nature is also wheel of nature - sets the wheel of nature in motion and it is set on fire of hell.

Wheel of nature - your words - They either line up with Gods word and His way or they are of the natural man or human nature which is set on fire from hell.

Simply put you speak - those words are now a wheel in motion -
unbridled they are set on fire of hell -
bridled they speak Gods Truth or the power of His written word ...
THERE IS POWER IN YOUR WORDS........Life and Death are in the power of your words.
Prayers - Faith - Love - Forgivness - Health - Healing and so forth are ALL AFFECTED by YOUR words.

God Bless You
Jim

Back