Looking for certain scriptures to study

AtomicSnowflake

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Secretary
Question: What scriptures, give examples of specific instances where the sins of one, (individual, family, group, etc.), cause judgement/punishment against all...?
Not counting Adam... but other instances such as the one we are told about in Joshua...

Hmmm, I don't see an edit button so, from the ESV,
2Sa 12:9 Why have you despised the word of the LORD, to do what is evil in his sight? You have struck down Uriah the Hittite with the sword and have taken his wife to be your wife and have killed him with the sword of the Ammonites.
2Sa 12:10 Now therefore the sword shall never depart from your house, because you have despised me and have taken the wife of Uriah the Hittite to be your wife.’
2Sa 12:11 Thus says the LORD, ‘Behold, I will raise up evil against you out of your own house. And I will take your wives before your eyes and give them to your neighbor, and he shall lie with your wives in the sight of this sun.

One of the many things of interest here is in verse 11 reference is made to "this sun" (are there any others?) then in v12 the reference is to "the sun"
Many translations agree with these, including the Septuagint.
It is no biggie, just interesting.
Does the Lord allow or cause the defilement of David's wives?

Question: What scriptures, give examples of specific instances where the sins of one, (individual, family, group, etc.), cause judgement/punishment against all...?
Not counting Adam... but other instances such as the one we are told about in Joshua...

One that comes to mind is the Babylonian Exile (or Babylonian Captivity)
God warned his people many times, but they ignored His prophets and God Himself. That led urning of the temple and the sack of Jerusalem and seventy years of captivity in Babylon.

2 Chronicles 36:15-21
The Lord, the God of their fathers, sent word to them again and again by His messengers, because He had compassion on His people and on His dwelling place; but they continually mocked the messengers of God, despised His words and scoffed at His prophets, until the wrath of the Lord arose against His people, until there was no remedy.  Therefore He brought up against them the king of the Chaldeans who slew their young men with the sword in the house of their sanctuary, and had no compassion on young man or virgin, old man or infirm; He gave them all into his hand.  All the articles of the house of God, great and small, and the treasures of the house of the Lord, and the treasures of the king and of his officers, he brought them all to Babylon. Then they burned the house of God and broke down the wall of Jerusalem, and burned all its fortified buildings with fire and destroyed all its valuable articles. Those who had escaped from the sword he carried away to Babylon; and they were servants to him and to his sons until the rule of the kingdom of Persia,  to fulfill the word of the Lord by the mouth of Jeremiah, until the land had enjoyed its sabbaths. All the days of its desolation it kept sabbath  until seventy years were complete.

House of Judah...House of Israel. They both wanted Kings to rule over them, but when the kings did evil the whole house or tribe suffered. This happened time and time again. Just read the entire book of Kings and also Chronicles to see what happened. There were not many good Kings in both lineages.

Thanks for the references... I was asking because in a discussion I had with someone the other day, I mentioned several. Then I was asked later what I had mentioned, (or others similar)... And of course, I couldn't remember which examples I spoke about...

One of the many things of interest here is in verse 11 reference is made to "this sun" (are there any others?) then in v12 the reference is to "the sun"
Many translations agree with these, including the Septuagint.
It is no biggie, just interesting.
Does the Lord allow or cause the defilement of David's wives?
Yes..that is interesting wording..

this is the one that came to me immediately.

Deuteronomy 5:8-10 New American Standard Bible
8 ‘You shall not make for yourself an idol, or any likeness of what is in heaven above or on the earth beneath or in the water under the earth. 9 You shall not worship them or serve them; for I, the Lord your God, am a jealous God, visiting the iniquity of the fathers on the children, and on the third and the fourth generations of those who hate Me, 10 but showing loving kindness to thousands, to those who love Me and keep My commandments.

Back