Love Me?—Love Me Not!

One may have an appearance to obey the Lord Jesus (Jhn 14:23, 24), but it is the test of time that will determine its genuineness, for it will never cease. The Lord Jesus said, “He that shall endure unto the end, the same shall be saved” (Mat 24:13). In other words, only whosoever is saved will endure unto the end, as those who are not reborn (saved) will eventually affirm “they were not of us” (1Jo 2:19; 2Ti 3:9, 13; Heb 10:39; also Num 32:23).

The primary manifestation of hypocritical love to God is the absence of love to others (Jhn 13:35)—especially when this concerns our “brother,” which are those within “the household of faith” (Gal 6:10; Eph 2:19; 1Jhn 4:20, 21; also Mat 12:50). Walking in practical love develops from first having the desire to love, which is an inherent ability solely from the Spirit at rebirth (Gal 5:22), using the implanted “life” and “nature” of Christ (Col 3:4, 10; 2Pe 1:4).

It is the ongoing desire to love others that manifests the presence of the indwelling Spirit the most, and as this desire grows within we eventually begin practicing more all the time God’s love to others (again and very important, esp. when it concerns the saved). I believe the well-known acronym JOY describes Scripture’s definition for God’s love best: Jesus, others, then you, i.e. we put Jesus first when we put others before us. This is clearly demonstrated by passages such as Phl 2:3, 4; Ro 12:10; Eph 4:2; 5:21. I’ve found that being concerned how we should respond to others more than being concerned how others respond to us aids well in supporting a more consistent adherence to these truths.

Since the works deriving from walking in the Spirit cannot be practiced one-hundred percent of the time (due to the ongoing indwelling of the “old man”), I believe God’s greatest work in us rests in the retaining of this desire to love (which produces continued growth in it), which then is in us—the crux of His “work” (Phl 2:13). May God give us to remember to keep a constant check on the intentions of our actions, that we may, more all the time, be love-centered; without which our testimony cannot be God-glorifying (Jhn 15:8). God be blessed above all!

The primary manifestation of hypocritical love to God is the absence of love to others (Jhn 13:35)—especially when this concerns our “brother,” which are those within “the household of faith” (Gal 6:10; Eph 2:19; 1Jhn 4:20, 21; also Mat 12:50). Walking in practical love develops from first having the desire to love, which is an inherent ability solely from the Spirit at rebirth (Gal 5:22), using the implanted “life” and “nature” of Christ (Col 3:4, 10; 2Pe 1:4).

Hello netchaplain;

After reading Love Me?—Love Me Not! what made me reflect is your quote highlighted. The manifestation of hypocritical love can be displayed in two ways.

God loves us, therefore, we ought to love one another.

God loves us, even when we are the ones who get hurt by others. Love is forgiving one another, a discipline we all have to continue praying, asking the Lord to build us up.

I have seen others get hurt, intentionally or un-intentionally, and on the outside they will say, "you hurt me but I forgive you and will pray for you." But after a time, instead of going forward one can see they still feel like a victim, holding onto unforgiveness from within their heart.

This too, is hypocritical in the eyes of God.

Who am I? I have had my share of hurt, betrayal and being cursed at. It hurts and it should. But after many years of failing to forgive, the Lord built me up, whether or not one asks for my forgiveness, I have learned to bear the pain by allowing God to heal me as I choose to bear unconditionally by forgiving others.

Bob, your teaching is a reminder. Love takes discipline. Jesus will carry us through the discipline but the choice still remains with us. In time God will see the authenticity of our manifestation of true love to Him.

God bless you, brother, and thank you for sharing.

Yanno having short term memory difficulties (from seizure activity), has certainly forced me into being quite a forgiving person :)
Unless its a huge mess up chances are Im not going to remember what I was angry/hurt over. Even then I let things go.
I wish more people were like this. Some of the most devout Christian's I know hold onto useless crap that happened years ago.

I have seen others get hurt, intentionally or un-intentionally, and on the outside they will say, "you hurt me but I forgive you and will pray for you." But after a time, instead of going forward one can see they still feel like a victim, holding onto unforgiveness from within their heart.

This too, is hypocritical in the eyes of God.
Hi Brother Bob! Thanks for your replies and also for your labors of love in Christ on this site. I agree, if we who are professing faith do not eventually learn forgiveness in all things, it's because God is not in us to "work" (Phl 2:13) in us, for I believe forgiveness is the gauge of love; how can we not forgive someone we love? There cannot be agape love of God apart from forgiving, and we're to forgive as the Father and the Lord Jesus forgave (Mat 18:35; Eph 4:32; Col 3:13). What we do in obedience to God, He makes practical in our experience, so our's is to do so He can teach us to mean it.

It helps to remember the Lord's words, "Blessed is he, whosoever shall not be offended in Me."

Yanno having short term memory difficulties (from seizure activity), has certainly forced me into being quite a forgiving person :)
Unless its a huge mess up chances are Im not going to remember what I was angry/hurt over. Even then I let things go.
I wish more people were like this. Some of the most devout Christian's I know hold onto useless crap that happened years ago.
Hi and thank you for your sensitive reply! I think Christians feel discouraged more often over unintended offences because we do not desire to offend, though it may often seem so to the offended. The counter action of disobedience is also not accepting apology, and we are to move on in love regardless.

God bless and deliver the believers from their difficulties!

Hi and thank you for your sensitive reply! I think Christians feel discouraged more often over unintended offences because we do not desire to offend, though it may often seem so to the offended. The counter action of disobedience is also not accepting apology, and we are to move on in love regardless.
God bless and deliver the believers from their difficulties!

Good point, Bob. Thank you for sharing!

Back