Love of the Mountains

BibleLover

Helper
Staff member
Helper
We live in Chattanooga which places us very close to the Appalachian Mountains, our favorite vacation spot. The Great Smoky Mountains is a good place to start. Gatlinburg and Pigeon Forge have a lot to offer. Western North Carolina has much natural beauty as well. Mount Mitchell, the highest mountain on the eastern mainland of North America is a must visit. Ashville should not be overlooked as a visit to the Biltmore Estate is an amazing experience.

Hey thanks biblelover.
So is the Appalachian mountains in the nearby national park?
Yes, the Appalachian mountains are extensive and the Blue Ridge Parkway (or Parkway as we called it) runs throughout Western North Carolina. I was born and raised in Waynesville, NC. I would just go up randomly and drive on the Parkway as some may just go on a Sunday drive anywhere else. Of course, at the time, I didn't know how unique the place was until I had lived in other places. Growing up we went camping on the Parkway. The Biltmore Estate is definitely a must see. Downtown Waynesville is quaint and enjoyable. If you go there you must stop by Whitman's Bakery and have a fresh doughnut. Browse through Mast General Store, as well. My wife is from Pigeon Forge, TN and we lived there for some time after getting married. Dollywood and all the shops and attractions are great. But if you go there do not miss Cades Cove!

Has anybody ever been to Dollywood, which is in Pigeon Forge near the Appachalian Mountains? Just wondering.

Has anybody ever been to Dollywood, which is in Pigeon Forge near the Appachalian Mountains? Just wondering.
I've been to Pigeon Forge a few times, but had no interest in Dollywood. Pigeon Forge is in the Great Smoky Mountains which are a part of the Appalachian Mountain Range.

I've been to Pigeon Forge a few times, but had no interest in Dollywood. Pigeon Forge is in the Great Smoky Mountains which are a part of the Appalachian Mountain Range.
It's a place where famous country singer Dolly Parton has an amusement park. She often sings about Tennessee Mountains and also sings gospel, they have quite a rich tradition of old-fashioned country style church there. Many missionaries originally went to the Appachalians to convert the mountain people who were very poor, as it's very hard to make a living there, the only viable industries at the time were coal mining which is back breaking work.

Dollywood makes the place accessible to tourists as people can stay there too who come from out of town. Even though it's hard to eke a living, people survive and make do. Dolly Parton wanted to celebrate her country roots I guess!

Back