Malachi 3:8

M

Mark_18

Malachi 3:8

Malachi 3

Robbing God

6 "I the LORD do not change. So you, O descendants of Jacob, are not destroyed. 7 Ever since the time of your forefathers you have turned away from my decrees and have not kept them. Return to me, and I will return to you," says the LORD Almighty.
"But you ask, 'How are we to return?'

8 "Will a man rob God? Yet you rob me.
"But you ask, 'How do we rob you?'
"In tithes and offerings.
9 You are under a curse—the whole nation of you—because you are robbing me. 10 Bring the whole tithe into the storehouse, that there may be food in my house. Test me in this," says the LORD Almighty, "and see if I will not throw open the floodgates of heaven and pour out so much blessing that you will not have room enough for it. 11 I will prevent pests from devouring your crops, and the vines in your fields will not cast their fruit," says the LORD Almighty. 12 "Then all the nations will call you blessed, for yours will be a delightful land," says the LORD Almighty.

I asked God to point out a scripture to me, He showed me this one that's bolded, Malachi 3:8, but I'm not sure what it means. Does it mean, if we are not giving tithes and offerings, we're robbing Him?

Will A Man Rob God?
The book of Malachi was written when Israel was at a low ebb spiritually. They were neglecting to honor God as their Father (1:6). They were offering polluted bread (1:7). They were offering the blind, the lame, the sick for sacrifice (1:8). God would not accept their offerings and worship (1:10) even though they covered the altar with tears (2:13).
In addition to all of these sins, they were guilty of robbing God. “Will a man rob God? Yet you have robbed Me! But you say, ‘In what way have we robbed You?’ In tithes and offerings. You are cursed with a curse, for you have robbed Me, even this whole nation. Bring all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be food in My house, and try Me now in this, says the Lord of hosts, if I will not open for the windows of heaven and pour out for you such blessing that there will not be room enough to receive it” (Mal. 3:8-10).
Robbery is one of the worst of sins in the world. It takes from one what is rightfully his. This passage says that a man can be guilty of robbing God! It is true that one can rob God of time, of service, of worship and of ability used for the glory of God. But this text shows that one can rob God financially. Are you guilty of this sin?
How Can One Rob God Today?
We can rob God by not giving at all. God’s plan for financing the work of the church is simple: “On the first day of the week let each one of you lay something aside, storing up as he may prosper, that there be no collections when I come” (1 Cor. 16:2). “So let each one give as he purposes in his heart, not grudgingly or of necessity; for God loves a cheerful giver” (2 Cor. 9:7). Each person must give as God has prospered him. If he doesn’t, he is withholding from God.
We can rob God by withholding part and not giving as much as we should. The Israelites were not giving what God required of them. The tenth (tithe) was required. “And all the tithe of the land, whether of the seed of the land or of the fruit of the tree, is the Lord’s. It is holy to the Lord” (Lev. 27:30). Their failure to give all the tithe caused God to condemn them for robbing Him. Under the law of Christ we are to give as we have been prospered. If we fail to do so, we, too, are guilty of robbing God. The Lord tells us, “But as you abound in everything; in faith, in speech, in knowledge, in all diligence, and in your love for us; see that you abound in this grace also” (2 Cor. 8:7).
We rob God when we miss the worship and do not make up what we would have given. Sometimes people seem to think that if they are absent, they are freed from the requirement of giving. But the work of the Lord must go on. The financial requirements are the same. The local church is dependent on the giving of each Christian.
We rob God by giving Him the leftovers. We need so much money to get by. Then, we want certain things that are not essentials but are luxuries (something adding to pleasure but not necessarily essential). Then if we have anything left over, we will give some of that unto the Lord. Is this the kind of sacrifice with which God is well-pleased?
Why Do Men Rob God?
People may rob God because they have not been adequately taught the importance of giving or what is involved in it. Sincere brothers and sisters will give right when they are taught right. Some people do not give properly simply because they are stingy. They have a love of money (1 Tim. 6:9-10). Perhaps others fail to give simply because of poor management of their money. Do you fall into any of these categories?
The Consequences Of Robbing God
When we fail to give as God has prospered us, we not only rob the God, but we rob the church of its ability to adequately do the work that God gave it to do. The lost are robbed of salvation. Those going forth to preach are robbed of adequate support. But most of all we rob ourselves of the blessings of liberality (Acts 20:35). Are you robbing God?
— Forrest D. Moyer

1. We rob Him of obedience when we depart out His way.
Mal
3:5 And I will come near to you to judgment; and I will be a swift
witness against the sorcerers, and against the adulterers, and against
false swearers, and against those that oppress the hireling in his
wages, the widow, and the fatherless, and that turn aside the​
stranger from his right, and fear not me, saith the LORD of hosts.

2. We rob of Him of reverence when we profane His Holiness.

Mal
3:10 Bring ye all the tithes into the storehouse, that there may be meat
in mine house, and prove me now herewith, saith the LORD of
hosts, if I will not open you the windows of heaven, and pour you​
out a blessing, that there shall not be room enough to receive it.

3. We rob of Him of allegiance when we oppress those in need.

Mal 3:5

4. We rob of Him of worship when we neglect His ordinaces.

Mal 3:7.

5. We rob of Him of His rights when we fail to give Him His tithes.

Mal 3;8.

6. We rob of Him glory when we misrepresent Him , by saying what is not absolutely true.

Mal 3:14-15.

We need to remember that no one owns anything; naked we came into this world, naked and hopefully clothed Christ's righteousness we will go out. And after working in the vinyard, we will meet our Lord and Master, who will give us true riches. And we will reap where we haven't sown, and the one who reaped and the one who has sown will rejoice together. Since we are just stewards, and everything is given to us from God, we honor Him from our heart, purposefully and thankfully giving back a thank offering.

"I, the LORD, search the heart, I test the mind, Even to give to each man according to his ways, According to the results of his deeds." Jeremiah 17:10

2 Chronicles 16:9
http://biblecommenter.com/2_chronicles/16-9.htm

Back