Mark Chapter 7 (Lesson - Teaching) 1 - 13

Hello you and welcome. You will learn about Mark Chapter 7 verses 1 to 13.

7 Then the Pharisees and some of the scribes came together to Him, having come from Jerusalem. 2 Now [a]when they saw some of His disciples eat bread with defiled, that is, with unwashed hands, [b]they found fault.

Verses (1 - 2) The Pharisees and the scribes came to Jesus after traveling from Jerusalem. When they came upon Christ and his companions they saw some of the disciples eating bread with out washing their hands. They were indignant of this and looked down upon them for they had hard hearts. For they found fault with what was happening.

3 For the Pharisees and all the Jews do not eat unless they wash their hands [c]in a special way, holding the tradition of the elders. 4 When they come from the marketplace, they do not eat unless they wash. And there are many other things which they have received and hold, like the washing of cups, pitchers, copper vessels, and couches.

Verses (3-4) The Pharisees and Jews by their tradition would not eat anything without washing their hands in a special ways because of 'Tradition of the Elders'. When they eat anywhere they do not eat without washing their hands. They also washed everything down so that the external appearance was clean and looked good.
Note: External looked clean - Internally not so much for their hearts were hard.

5 Then the Pharisees and scribes asked Him, “Why do Your disciples not walk according to the tradition of the elders, but eat bread with unwashed hands?”

Verse (5) - Questioning about not following the 'Tradition of the Elders'

6 He answered and said to them, “Well did Isaiah prophesy of you hypocrites, as it is written:

‘This people honors Me with their lips,
But their heart is far from Me.
7 And in vain they worship Me,
Teaching as doctrines the commandments of men.’
8 For laying aside the commandment of God, you hold the tradition of men—[d]the washing of pitchers and cups, and many other such things you do.”

Verse (6-8) Jesus Christ is answering the question of tradition by saying unto them about the prophesy of Isaiah that describes how people would be that claimed to follow God yet their hearts were harden, and they worshiped God in vain.
Teaching (doctrine) knowledge (Tradition of the Elders) as they are commandments of Men not of God - Laying aside God's commandments to honor Mans Tradition instead, washing things externally rather than allowing themselves to be clean from the inside. (The Heart)

9 He said to them, “All too well you [e]reject the commandment of God, that you may keep your tradition. 10 For Moses said, ‘Honor your father and your mother’; and, ‘He who curses father or mother, let him be put to death.’ 11 But you say, ‘If a man says to his father or mother, “Whatever profit you might have received from me is Corban”—’ (that is, a gift to God), 12 then you no longer let him do anything for his father or his mother, 13 making the word of God of no effect through your tradition which you have handed down. And many such things you do.”

Verse (9-13) - Note: If you dishonored your mother or father according to Law you would be stoned to death.
Notice here what Jesus Christ is saying. The Pharisees are rejecting the commandment of God to keep their tradition. Also Jesus Christ plainly states that; they would side-step God's law by not helping their needy parents by saying - I have (Corban) given to God so I can not give to you - (Mom and Dad) because my gift is already given to God. So they are saying they Love God, yet they are not honoring their mother and father yet say it is okay because they have gave their gift to God.
What is the commandment happening here that is being rejected you may ask yourself? Looking down and being indignant towards others, not even able to help their mother and father for they are to busy with their own traditions while saying they love God.

Realized there is a bible study forum, do not know if this post is actually allowed here for my ignorance of not reading rules, but would someone please move this to bible study instead. Thank you, for your time and patience.

Back