Measured Proximity

He who measured my distance is the One who is the measure of my nearness! Many believers are in the shadows because they fail to abide (fellowship—NC) where He is; they are enlightened, but if they were near they would be established (encouraged—NC). When you are reconciled to the Father, you find that instead of being at the greatest distance you are now in the greatest nearness. You know the wonderful nature of your acceptance (Eph 1:6); you find that “when sin abounded, grace did much more abound.” Many have no idea of the abounding (IMO, unlimited love and forgiveness—NC). They can speak of the forgiveness of sins; but if you commit fifty sins and are forgiven fifty, there is no abounding there, no excess.

“Grace did much more abound: that as sin hath reigned unto death, even so might grace reign through righteousness unto eternal life by Jesus Christ our Lord” (Rom 5:20; 21). You are brought into the happiest association with the Father, unto the home of His heart. The prodigal son wandered away, and had spent all that he had; then by the light of grace he came to himself and returned to his father. To his great surprise he found his father met him on the best of terms, “fell of his neck”, and covered him with kisses.

How could this be? Because the shepherd had gone out to “seek and to save that which was lost.” All the offense had been removed; God had been relieved; all that offended had been removed from the eye of God in judgment, and now His heart can come out in all its mighty volume and embrace the returning son. It is marvelous, and yet there is “much more.” The nearer you are to the Father the happier you are (Jas 4:8). You come in now in all the beauty of the Lord Jesus Christ. “And they began to make merry.”

If you believe even a little of grace, you will look—away from Adam (as no longer “in Adam” - 1Co 15:22), and look to the Lord Jesus Christ (2Cor 3:18); you will give the Father credit for the immensity of His grace, and then you will find that not only has all the offense been removed from His eye, but that the Father has been so fully glorified that the nearer you come to Him, the more assured you are of His love for you. Sin has caused the greatest distance between God and man; grace has brought the believer in Christ into the greatest nearness to Him. You must be conscious of the greatness of the distance; if you do not understand that, you will not understand the greatness of the nearness.

I remember saying many years ago to a dear man of God, “It was a wonderful thing that the Lord Jesus was thinking of us at that moment.” His reply was, “He was not so much thinking of you as He was thinking of His Father.” Much of the feeble sense of salvation in our soul arises from the fact that we are exclusively occupied with our own relief, instead of inquiring whether the Father, whom we have offended, has been relieved.

There must be a complete removal from before God’s eye of the man that sinned (i.e. “old man”—NC), the man in whom sin is. Root and branch must go in judgment, so that it is true of every believer that “our old man is crucified with Him” (Ro 6:6)—crucifixion (not dead but retained—NC) is the judicial termination of the man; and the Man who removed the distance has glorified the Father, and has been “raised up from among the dead by the glory of God the Father” (Rom 6:4). He glorified the Father on the Cross, hence the veil is rent; all has been thrown open on the Father’s side. I do not say that everyone enters in (those not knowing His forgiveness—NC), but the veil is rent and the door of heaven is thrown open. The Father is first relieved, to His endless satisfaction.

—J B Stoney

MJS daily devotional for Feb 10:

“‘God is faithful, by whom ye were called unto the fellowship of His Son Jesus Christ our Lord’ (1 Cor. 1:9). What believers need is the simple faith that the establishing in Christ, day by day, is God’s work—a work that He delights to do, in spite of all our weakness and unfaithfulness, if we will but trust Him for it. To the blessedness of such faith, and the experience it brings, many can testify. What peace and rest, to know that there is a Husbandman who cares for the branch, to see that it grows stronger; who watches over every hindrance and danger, who supplies every needed aid!

“What peace and rest, fully and finally to give up our abiding into the care of the Father, and never have a wish or thought, never to offer a prayer or engage in an exercise connected with it, without first having the glad remembrance that what we do is only the manifestation of what our Father is doing in us! The establishing in Christ is His work: He accomplishes it by stirring us to watch, and wait, and work.” -A.M.

Part of drawing near to God, is our talking with him (through prayer) and listening to him (through reading his words and allowing God to lead us through his Spirit).

I'm thankful that God has brought us near and gives us such grace.

cp
Thanks for the encouraging reply! Amen, there's only one place God wants us--close. This has to do with our walk which unceasingly progresses, as rebirth has us near and even in Him.

He who measured my distance is the One who is the measure of my nearness! Many believers are in the shadows because they fail to abide (fellowship—NC) where He is; they are enlightened, but if they were near they would be established (encouraged—NC). When you are reconciled to the Father, you find that instead of being at the greatest distance you are now in the greatest nearness. You know the wonderful nature of your acceptance (Eph 1:6); you find that “when sin abounded, grace did much more abound.” Many have no idea of the abounding (IMO, unlimited love and forgiveness—NC). They can speak of the forgiveness of sins; but if you commit fifty sins and are forgiven fifty, there is no abounding there, no excess.

Hello netchaplain;

I had a thought. When we are reconciled to the Father but continue to remain in sin, when we continue to pride over our unrepentant prayers and when we pay no heed to His discipline, we remain at a distance with Him.

Our distance and nearness is measured by God as He searches our hearts. God's work cannot be ignored yet expect a nearness with Him.

God bless you, Bob, and thank you for sharing this good study.

Hello netchaplain;

I had a thought. When we are reconciled to the Father but continue to remain in sin, when we continue to pride over our unrepentant prayers and when we pay no heed to His discipline, we remain at a distance with Him.
Hi Brother Bob! Babes-in-Christ can temporarily live in certain un-repented sins unaware, but eventually realize this and correct this in their walk. Those who continue in willful sin have yet to be reborn (saved), if that's to what you're referring.

Always appreciate your genuine replies ang comments.

I would offer it is the Spirit of Christ that dwells in born again mankind. We do not bring him down he dwels in new creatures as revealed in Phillipians 2:13.( God in us working with us )

The KIng of kings working in us with us in our new hearts and soul.

Throughout the bible it apears there are two sides to every coin .

What God declares as one the devil two or many (legion) we are many .

What God declaers as many the devil all one in the same way turning things upside down as if inspired from earth.And in doing so make the understanding of the Poter without efect. One of the key that helps us try the spirits to see if they are of God who lives in the beliver. . because of that it world sem we should seek the unseen understanding mixing faith with that seen or heard.

lately I have ben looking at what it appears is two kinds of measurements. The litteral seen historical as the measure of natural unconverted mankind inches, feet, yards, literal numbers And the golden measure of what I will call the measures of faith .

Gold sems to represent the unseen finished work of God who does work from within not seen . Gold represents a beleiver. A picture of God doing the work of purfying removing the slag from the top down the bottom to emphasize the direction of inspiration .By it it identifies the doctrines of God and not of man earthly.as oral traditions . The gospel falling down like rain or dew upon the earth. .. as the hearing or understanding that comes as it is written . the puryfying cleaning fire hidden within. The tongue of fire.

In that way he has come down to us as Emanauel and calls us to His Holy presence. Again the point the direction of inspiration the key that unlocks the gates of hell Christ in us. .

Earthly of the devil.? Or heavenly the Bosum of Abraham our Holy Father of spirit life.

Exodus 19:20 And the Lord came down upon mount Sinai, on the top of the mount: and the Lord called Moses up to the top of the mount; and Moses went up.

Roman 10: 6-8 But the righteousness which is of faith speaketh on this wise, Say not in thine heart, Who shall ascend into heaven? (that is, to bring Christ down from above:) Or, Who shall descend into the deep? (that is, to bring up Christ again from the dead.) But what saith it? The word is nigh thee, even in thy mouth, and in thy heart: that is, the word of faith, which we preach;

The Son of man Jesus is shown drawn by the inward power . "Not as I will Father but as you" not seen does.

John 12:34 The people answered him, We have heard out of the law that Christ abideth for ever: and how sayest thou, The Son of man must be lifted up? who is this Son of man?

I think its the purpose he had Israel make an "Ark of Gold" (a shadow of His covenant of peace ) and place the Bible as the book of law on the outside. . Its words as a parable revealed the mystery inside. (1)The hidden manna (What is it?) accompanied with (2) the pieces of stone the letter of the law death and (3) the fruit of Christ’s righteousness The re sprouted almond branch. The fruit that revealed the fruitlessness of mankinds (rebellion)

I will disagree with the statement "those who continue in willful sin have yet to be reborn". What about John 3:16, or Romans chapter2? I can go on and on with verses to back my opinion, but Im sure so can those with the opposite point of view. We cannot save ourselves in the flesh, for in our flesh we shall always sin. ALL sin is willful as we of sound mind know what we are doing. The bible is full of dichotomies and contradictions. Therefore it is for our Father in heaven to decide whom is in Christ, and shall enter HIS kingdom.

I would agree. If he has begun the good work of salvation in us with us he will finish supplying the born again power we have as treasures in theses earthen bodies. (Phillipians 1:6)

He called the Galatians believers foolish showing that a believer can do foolish things as if God was not in their new born again hearts .He was not promoting sin but rather revealing it by the light of the gospel.(Galatians3)

He calls us back to repentance (the hearing of faith) returning to the our first love, hearing God the beginning of faith as a labor of his love. so that we could do the first works of him working in s empowered to believe to his good pleasure. It is Christ in us that can make our hearts soft giving us rest yoked with him.

I would offer it is the Spirit of Christ that dwells in born again mankind. We do not bring him down he dwells in new creatures as revealed in Philippians 2:13.( God in us working with us ).
Hi, and like your comment here. The Father and the Son are in the old heaven and we are connected with Them from the earth via Their Holy Spirit; and it's not the life of the Spirit in us, but the Spirit eternally implants the Life of Christ (Col 3:4) and the nature of Christ (2Pe 1:4) within us as we possess possess the Spirit Himself as the Creator of our new birth (Jhn 3:6, 8).

I will disagree with the statement "those who continue in willful sin have yet to be reborn". What about John 3:16, or Romans chapter2? I can go on and on with verses to back my opinion, but Im sure so can those with the opposite point of view. We cannot save ourselves in the flesh, for in our flesh we shall always sin. ALL sin is willful as we of sound mind know what we are doing. The bible is full of dichotomies and contradictions. Therefore it is for our Father in heaven to decide whom is in Christ, and shall enter HIS kingdom.
I think it could be explained that in our old nature we still impulsively sin, but it's against our will in the new nature to do so (Paul's dichotomy of a Christian in Rom 7:14-25). Otherwise it's the same as saying we still sin "presumptuously" (Num 15:30) or "willfully" (Heb 10:26), unless we aren't discussing the same exact issue.

I can remember when I used to get angry and occasionally didn't care if I was wrong, but I think we grow out of such babe-in-Christ things, and now if I do wrong it's always impulsive and never intentional, which is a show of the new nature the God "works" in those who are His (Phl 2:13).

Ah the blessed diversity in the same body. Yanno God sure did know what he was doing, and its a beautiful wonder :)

I too am grateful this body doesn't have a dozen heads, 100 legs yet missing perhaps a liver. God in his infinite wisdom has placed us within that body as he knows needful.

cp

Hi, and like your comment here. The Father and the Son are in the old heaven and we are connected with Them from the earth via Their Holy Spirit; and it's not the life of the Spirit in us, but the Spirit eternally implants the Life of Christ (Col 3:4) and the nature of Christ (2Pe 1:4) within us as we possess possess the Spirit Himself as the Creator of our new birth (Jhn 3:6, 8).

Old heaven? We are the temple of God not made with human hands. Christ in us. Emanuael God with us .

Yes, They are in us through the Spirit but Their presence is in heaven, where we will soon be too.

It’s interesting that the temple was only needed for the temporal time period here on earth up until the time of reformation. .

In the new order there will be no Sun and Moon as well as a temple .Both are used as temporal time period representatives..

As the Sun represented the unseen glory of God the moon was shown as reflected. In the new they become once source of light

Revelation21: 22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

It’s interesting that the temple was only needed for the temporal time period here on earth up until the time of reformation. .

In the new order there will be no Sun and Moon as well as a temple .Both are used as temporal time period representatives..

As the Sun represented the unseen glory of God the moon was shown as reflected. In the new they become once source of light

Revelation21: 22 And I saw no temple therein: for the Lord God Almighty and the Lamb are the temple of it. And the city had no need of the sun, neither of the moon, to shine in it: for the glory of God did lighten it, and the Lamb is the light thereof.

Like your comments here! I believe the temple was for direct communication via "the angel of the Lord," same for the guiding of the people of God in the pillar of cloud and pillar of fire; and Scripture shows it in the burning bush (Exo 3:2). As we know, God never dwelt in temples (Act 7:49), as He does in us in this life via His Holy Spirit.

Like your comments here! I believe the temple was for direct communication via "the angel of the Lord," same for the guiding of the people of God in the pillar of cloud and pillar of fire; and Scripture shows it in the burning bush (Exo 3:2). As we know, God never dwelt in temples (Act 7:49), as He does in us in this life via His Holy Spirit.

Thanks I would offer

Yes we are the living temple not made with human hands as a will .The tabernacle or moving temple was used for a time period

The creating of the temple made with hands was originally designed as temporal for the forty years in the wilderness as a ceremonial sign (show and tell) to the world . . . an intriguing mystery .The gospel hid in the ceremonial shadows. It accompanies manna the mystery food .literally meaning .What is it??? .Both the tabernacle as a temple and manna were as shadows of the good things to come. They were to stop when they entered the promise land therefore having fulfilled the purpose as a parable or shadow for that time period in the wilderness to the world.

Exodus 16:35 And the children of Israel did eat manna forty years, until they came to a land inhabited; they did eat manna, until they came unto the borders of the land of Canaan.

Exodus 40:38 For the cloud of the Lord was upon the tabernacle by day, and fire was on it by night, in the sight of all the house of Israel, throughout all their journeys.

A tabernacle signified as a moving temple it therefore signified as if it was as living breathing temple, (as if not made with human hands as a will ). After receiving the Promised Land the faithless elders assembled themselves. . not called by God in whom they did not believe (no faith). They became jealous of the surrounding pagan nations that did have a hierarchy of venerable men making the faith of Christ as it is written without effect.

1 Samuel 8:4-7Then all the elders of Israel gathered themselves together, and came to Samuel unto Ramah, And said unto him, Behold, thou art old, and thy sons walk not in thy ways: now make us a king to judge us like all the nations. But the thing displeased Samuel, when they said, Give us a king to judge us. And Samuel prayed unto the Lord.And the Lord said unto Samuel, Hearken unto the voice of the people in all that they say unto thee: for they have not rejected thee, but they have rejected me, that I should not reign over them.

The non-venerable pew sitters were subject to their understandings (faithless)

God gave them over until the time of the first century reformation by which he restored the government of God to where it was before there were kings in Israel. We walk by faith not by sight.

God spoke to Samuel saying; It’s not you Samuel they reject as King but me King of kings and Lord of lords They wanted nothing to do with a King they could not see.

They took their own selves.There ffirst choice chose Saul, the people’s or political choice. From his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people goodly young man.

1 Samuel 9:2 And he had a son, whose name was Saul, a choice young man, and a goodly: and there was not among the children of Israel a goodlier person than he: from his shoulders and upward he was higher than any of the people.

He was revealed later as one that seeks after another kind of teaching master, necromancy, seeking after a legion of gods as workers with familiar spirits..

Man looks upon the outside God prepares the hearts.

Then God made his choice David meaning “beloved son” . he was the last choice of his family. David . Nhen they knew Samuel was coming they chased him out to the green pastures with the stinky sheep. . the job given to the youngest. That no one wants like Able. it would seem the family not desiring embarrassment of one that went around sprouting our Psalms of praise the Bible thumper

The Holy spirit set up an promise of one sitting on the throne of David subjecting the promise to a law Solomon failed and followed after other gods And when the Son of man, Jesus was born the fulfillment of the unseen seed came . it ended the need of the genealogy in regard to the spiritual seed Christ .What Solomon could not do .The father performed it through the Son of man, Jesus His beloved Son

1 Samuel 16: 7-12 But the Lord said unto Samuel, Look not on his countenance, or on the height of his stature; because I have refused him: for the Lord seeth not as man seeth; for man looketh on the outward appearance, but the Lord looketh on the heart. Then Jesse called Abinadab, and made him pass before Samuel. And he said, Neither hath the Lord chosen this. Then Jesse made Shammah to pass by. And he said, Neither hath the Lord chosen this. Again, Jesse made seven of his sons to pass before Samuel. And Samuel said unto Jesse, The Lord hath not chosen these. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Are here all thy children? And he said, There remaineth yet the youngest, and, behold, he keepeth the sheep. And Samuel said unto Jesse, Send and fetch him: for we will not sit down till he come hither. And he sent, and brought him in. Now he was ruddy, and withal of a beautiful countenance, and goodly to look to. And the Lord said, Arise, anoint him: for this is he.

Amen, and I believe Their Holy Spirit will continue to reside within the believer "forever" (Jhn 14:16). This could mean until the completion of this life, but Rev 22:17 could possibly show permanently.
Yes interstingly . I would offer. . .The word forever seems to be used in two ways .One to represent the temporal under the Sun (forver or until one dies. and the other for ever and ever showing His Glory has come.

The temporal corrupted creations end has come (forever has ended )

Genesis 13:15 For all the land which thou seest, to thee will I give it, and to thy seed for ever

Thy seed the temporal corupted flesh not Christ the spiritual born again seed. . . . forever and ever, the everlasting seed

Genesis 17:19 And God said, Sarah thy wife shall bear thee a son indeed; and thou shalt call his name Isaac: and I will establish my covenant with him for an everlasting covenant, and with his seed after him.

Genesis 48:4 And said unto me, Behold, I will make thee fruitful, and multiply thee, and I will make of thee a multitude of people; and will give this land to thy seed after thee for an everlasting possession.

Exodus 15:18 The Lord shall reign for ever and ever.

Deuteronomy 23:3An Ammonite or Moabite shall not enter into the congregation of the Lord; even to their tenth generation shall they not enter into the congregation of the Lord for ever:

In the parable above God uses ten as he does with the word hundred or thousand in multiples to represent a unknown concealed. . Showing that he will not change his mind as to whose flesh he would use to signify the understanding in parbles or cerimonial laws . It was a Jew established with Abraham whose father was an Amorite, and mother was a Hittite.

Abraham’s fleshly seed the temporal was used to signify Christ’s eternal bride fore ever and ever, everlasting as born again Israel in the Old Testament or Christian the new name He named her in Acts.

Back