Meditation

The American Heritage Dictionary (2021) defines Meditation as:
"To engage in focused thought on scriptural passages or on particular doctrines or mysteries of a religion, especially Christianity."
There are a lot of Scripture relating to the importance of meditation on God's Word. here are a few for your consideration:

Psalm 19:14 (NASB) -
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of
my heart Be acceptable in Your sight,
Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.

Joshua 1:8 (NASB) -

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth,
but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you
may be careful to do according to all that is written in it;
for then you will make your way prosperous, and then
you will achieve success.

Philippians 4:8 (NASB) -
Finally, brothers and sisters, whatever is true, whatever
is honorable, whatever is right, whatever is pure,
whatever is lovely, whatever is commendable, if there
is any excellence and if anything worthy of praise, think
about these things

To wrap this up in a smaller package I present the need for us to carefully consider Scripture; the Word of God that gives us insight into God's most holy place. Dwell in His presence quietly and consider His instruction (doctrine). If there is anything good that God has done then consider those things. Focus your thought on the things of God both day and night and we will prosper. Prosperity is not in riches or in getting what we want. Prosperity, to me, is a sound mind intently set on the goal of Christ and our eternal hope.

about these things

That is one of my favorite scriptures.... it has been immensely helpful!

Agreed. It is a favorite of mine as well. I often combine meditation with my prayer time. Not as part of the prayer, but as a thoughtful way to contemplate what God desires and what God has spoken to me about in his word, after I'm done praying.

cp
You will know them by their fruit (Matt. 7:16). It is evident to those who watch those who spend time with Him. You cannot fake being a friend of Christ.

often combine meditation with my prayer time. Not as part of the prayer, but as a thoughtful way to contemplate what God desires and what God has spoken to me about in his word, after I'm done praying.

I call that "listening" :)

How can we hear Him, if we're always doing the talking.. that leads to another one I've found helpful..."Be still"... that means to hush up & wait!

I call that "listening" :)

How can we hear Him, if we're always doing the talking.. that leads to another one I've found helpful..."Be still"... that means to hush up & wait!

Yes, listening is often the hardest part of communicating and yet the most important. Especially active listening. God has opened our eyes and ears so that we can see and do (learn and perceive), but we do have to use those eyes and ears.

cp

The American Heritage Dictionary (2021) defines Meditation as:
"To engage in focused thought on scriptural passages or on particular doctrines or mysteries of a religion, especially Christianity."

There are a lot of Scripture relating to the importance of meditation on God's Word. here are a few for your consideration:

Psalm 19:14 (NASB) -
May the words of my mouth and the meditation of
my heart Be acceptable in Your sight,
Lord, my rock and my Redeemer.

Joshua 1:8 (NASB) -

This Book of the Law shall not depart from your mouth,
but you shall meditate on it day and night, so that you
may be careful to do according to all that is written in it;
for then you will make your way prosperous, and then
you will achieve success.

about these things

To wrap this up in a smaller package I present the need for us to carefully consider Scripture; the Word of God that gives us insight into God's most holy place. Dwell in His presence quietly and consider His instruction (doctrine). If there is anything good that God has done then consider those things. Focus your thought on the things of God both day and night and we will prosper. Prosperity is not in riches or in getting what we want. Prosperity, to me, is a sound mind intently set on the goal of Christ and our eternal hope.

Psalm 19:14 states,
“May the words of my mouth and the meditation of my heart be pleasing in your sight, O Lord, my Rock and my Redeemer.”

Unfortunately, Transcendental Mediation Proponents, Eastern Religions and Yogi has altered the word “meditation” so as to carry the connotation of something mystical. For them, meditation is clearing the mind while sitting in an unusual position.

For others, meditation is communing with the spirit world and the nature that is all around us. Concepts such as these most definitely do not characterize Christian meditation and they should be ignored IMO.

These have at their core a dangerous premise that we need to “hear God’s voice,” not through His Word, but through personal revelation through meditation. Some churches are filled with people who think they are hearing a “word from the Lord,” often contradicting one another and therefore causing endless divisions within the body of Christ.

IMPO...Christian meditation is to be solely on the Word of God and what it reveals about God and His works through His written Word.

I suggest "Prayer" over meditation but that is just me.

Back