Memorial Day thoughts

rtm3039

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Celebrated on the last Monday in May in the United States, this Monday is Memorial Day. While I know it is done with good intentions, many people tend to confuse Memorial Day with Veteran’s Day and are quick to wish military folks, both active and retired, a “happy Memorial Day” or say: “Thank you for your service.” Yes, this makes me a little crazy, but I know it comes from the heart.

In case anyone asks, Memorial Day is a day to remember those who died as a result of their military service; usually from combat injuries (around 1.4 million thus far), but I have always believed that it should include those who were tormented by the “sights of war” and later succumb to their demons.

According to the VA, a total of 20.6 military suicides take place a day, by those who either once served, or currently serve, in our military. That works out to be 16.8 veterans and 3.8 active duty every single day. I do not believe that these numbers are ever included in the total loss from combat, which I do not believe is correct.

As we take the weekend to “celebrate” the lives of those we have lost to combat, I ask that we also take a moment to think about the many more who died from combat wounds that were only visible to them.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:13 (NIV))

God bless all, especially those who stay up at nights so the rest of us can sleep in peace.

Reference: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/va-...tatistic-included-active-duty-troops-1.533992

rtm3039

We have ANZAC day in nz and australia...it isnt a happy day its more like a solemn day where we remember those lost in combat. Thousands of soliders died. It affected the whole nation...pretty sad thinking about it.

We dont want another world war 3 thankfully that hasnt happened yet.

Celebrated on the last Monday in May in the United States, this Monday is Memorial Day. While I know it is done with good intentions, many people tend to confuse Memorial Day with Veteran’s Day and are quick to wish military folks, both active and retired, a “happy Memorial Day” or say: “Thank you for your service.” Yes, this makes me a little crazy, but I know it comes from the heart.

In case anyone asks, Memorial Day is a day to remember those who died as a result of their military service; usually from combat injuries (around 1.4 million thus far), but I have always believed that it should include those who were tormented by the “sights of war” and later succumb to their demons.

According to the VA, a total of 20.6 military suicides take place a day, by those who either once served, or currently serve, in our military. That works out to be 16.8 veterans and 3.8 active duty every single day. I do not believe that these numbers are ever included in the total loss from combat, which I do not believe is correct.

As we take the weekend to “celebrate” the lives of those we have lost to combat, I ask that we also take a moment to think about the many more who died from combat wounds that were only visible to them.

"Greater love has no one than this: to lay down one’s life for one’s friends." John 15:13 (NIV))

God bless all, especially those who stay up at nights so the rest of us can sleep in peace.

Reference: https://www.stripes.com/news/us/va-...tatistic-included-active-duty-troops-1.533992

rtm3039

Hey rtm3039;

I hope you don't mind. I borrowed your thread and shared parts of it with my church family during the sermon today. We have some veterans in our church and they appreciated acknowledging the meaning of Memorial Day instead of a "day off from work."

One of our long time members was a veteran with the US Navy and she was instrumental in reaching out to the VA hospital years ago. A few of our veterans from the VA hospital and rehabilitation cannot attend church for physical reasons. So these few contact the church every quarter and request the Daily Bread, a daily reading devotional. We happily drive out to their homes and drop off their booklet.

I want to remember our veterans, our allies, not just in the United States but all of God's nations. Thank you for your services and may the peace of Christ fill your homes this Memorial Weekend.

God bless you all and your families.

Hey rtm3039;

I hope you don't mind. I borrowed your thread and shared parts of it with my church family during the sermon today. We have some veterans in our church and they appreciated acknowledging the meaning of Memorial Day instead of a "day off from work."

One of our long time members was a veteran with the US Navy and she was instrumental in reaching out to the VA hospital years ago. A few of our veterans from the VA hospital and rehabilitation cannot attend church for physical reasons. So these few contact the church every quarter and request the Daily Bread, a daily reading devotional. We happily drive out to their homes and drop off their booklet.

I want to remember our veterans, our allies, not just in the United States but all of God's nations. Thank you for your services and may the peace of Christ fill your homes this Memorial Weekend.

Thank you, my brother. You are free to use anything I author.

Our guys are buried all over the world. Gen Patton, and 5, 073 of his soldiers, are buried in Luxembourg. Another 3,811 are in Cambridge, England. Often wonder why. I would have wanted to be buried back home.

Bless you and your family as well.

rtm3039

rtm3039

Excellent thoughts brother!

My father was a WW2 veteran, 100% disabled in the last days of the war.

I am a veteran from Vietnam war and I would not change a single thing!

God bless you my friend and thanks for the thoughts!

Hey rtm3039;

AMEN!!!!!

God bless my dear friend!

Lest we also forget that 60 million people died worldwide because of one man.

Excellent thoughts brother!

My father was a WW2 veteran, 100% disabled in the last days of the war.

I am a veteran from Vietnam war and I would not change a single thing!

God bless you my friend and thanks for the thoughts!
Vietnam? Man, you really are old :)

Thanks for your service my brother, you all were not treated right after your service.

rtm3039

OLD????

I prefer...….."Seasoned".
On the radio today, as I was headed to Publix, I heard that a national survey was conducted and 51% of those contacted did not know what Memorial Day was about. Sad, but I get it. On Sunday, at least 3 of the guys on the security team withed me a "Happy Memorial Day" and thanked me for my service. I know they mean well, but this always get me.

rtm3039

Back