Mentally ill, cannot get motivated to do basic tasks, frustrated

For several years, I’ve been struggling with mental health problems that’s given me a lack of motivation. It may seem simple to an able-bodied person to take a shower that lasts no more than half an hour. But for me, it is pure torture to the point where I don’t finish my showering until THREE HOURS later. I’d be exhausted, my feet would be in all sorts of pain, and I’m cold and miserable. It has become so bad that I ended up showering only once a week. That’s it. I leave my house filthy for three weeks to a month before I start sweeping because again, doing it once a week is torture.

I am often discouraged by my family for leaving my house dirty and having poor hygiene, and they expect me to do better, to do it right, to do it faster, to do it better. Cannot get out of bed until one hour after waking up, struggling to sleep, always exhausted, tried everything from changing the time I go to bed to splitting my work. Nothing helped. The problem was when I split my work by separate days, I don’t feel clean, my house doesn’t feel clean. My mom expects me to wash off every day and have at least two showers per week. She cannot handle that I use one instance of washing off apart from my weekly shower as taking care of my hygiene. Plus I don’t feel the need of over-cleaning myself as it’s too much work. She uses the lack of hygiene as a form of sloth, a claimed one of the seven deadly sins. In reality, my mental illness has kept me from progressing to meet my parents’ standards, and it’s sickening. I feel invalidated every time I hear the same old rubbish from my family. I feel severely depressed because of the way I was raised, I’m expected to be of the norm, to hide my personal problems, to be accepted.

For several years, I’ve been struggling with mental health problems that’s given me a lack of motivation. It may seem simple to an able-bodied person to take a shower that lasts no more than half an hour. But for me, it is pure torture to the point where I don’t finish my showering until THREE HOURS later. I’d be exhausted, my feet would be in all sorts of pain, and I’m cold and miserable. It has become so bad that I ended up showering only once a week. That’s it. I leave my house filthy for three weeks to a month before I start sweeping because again, doing it once a week is torture.

I am often discouraged by my family for leaving my house dirty and having poor hygiene, and they expect me to do better, to do it right, to do it faster, to do it better. Cannot get out of bed until one hour after waking up, struggling to sleep, always exhausted, tried everything from changing the time I go to bed to splitting my work. Nothing helped. The problem was when I split my work by separate days, I don’t feel clean, my house doesn’t feel clean. My mom expects me to wash off every day and have at least two showers per week. She cannot handle that I use one instance of washing off apart from my weekly shower as taking care of my hygiene. Plus I don’t feel the need of over-cleaning myself as it’s too much work. She uses the lack of hygiene as a form of sloth, a claimed one of the seven deadly sins. In reality, my mental illness has kept me from progressing to meet my parents’ standards, and it’s sickening. I feel invalidated every time I hear the same old rubbish from my family. I feel severely depressed because of the way I was raised, I’m expected to be of the norm, to hide my personal problems, to be accepted.
I am deeply empathize with you. I have challenges at times mentally as I am immobile in a wheelchair 24/7. Sometimes it can be extremely challenging at times but God. God uses our circumstances I believe to build our trust, faith and mold our character to be more like Him. I used to be able to ride horses, I was professional photographer, I had my own dog training business (training dogs and service dogs), on and on. I think it would be worthwhile to check of there are other things impacting your mental health too. Perhaps there is services like in home visits by personal support workers that could help you? I have PSWs come in my home to come change my clothes, take me to the washroom, make food, do my hair, brush my teeth - since I don't have the physical capabilities to do it. They don't just do this people who are immobile but for others who suffer from debilitating health conditions (even mentally like you have described). I want to encourage you that you do what you can in small steps. Even if it's an "ant" step. As tiny as it is - it's still a win. God is with you every step of the way. It may not "feel" like it. Truth is in His Word.

Here are some lovely Bible references. I have to remind myself His truth is the only thing that stands eternally and does not return void.

Never leave you nor forsake you - Bible References

Much love in Christ ❤️

I want to encourage you that you do what you can in small steps. Even if it's an "ant" step. As tiny as it is - it's still a win.
I absolutely agree with this. All movement is good if it is in the correct direction.

Last year I spent 68 days in hospital, including three weeks in physical rehab. There were some days that were very rough but every day I did something, even if it was just sitting up in bed. From day to day you may not see the progress but week to week and month to month it will become apparent.

I absolutely agree with this. All movement is good if it is in the correct direction.

Last year I spent 68 days in hospital, including three weeks in physical rehab. There were some days that were very rough but every day I did something, even if it was just sitting up in bed. From day to day you may not see the progress but week to week and month to month it will become apparent.
Just checking in with you. How are you doing?

Just checking in with you. How are you doing?
Thank you! I am well. The last few weeks were a bit stressful and a few days ago I experienced a bit of flare up in my condition but it has since passed. I'm refocusing on managing my stress, which usually means going slower with less multitasking. I am also paying extra attention to my water consumption. I need to drink a gallon a day (approximately 3.7 liters), so I space it out evenly over twelve hours.

Back