Millennial Teaching

Millennium

This is a theological term, from the Latin mille (thousand), and annum (year). The Millennium indicates Christ’s future thousand-year reign—His kingdom rule over Israel (on the old and new earth—NC); Revelation 20. The disciples asked, “Lord, wilt Thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?” (Acts 1:6).

Note: United Kingdom of Israel

“This kingdom existed from around 1020 to 922 BCE and was ruled by Saul, David, and Solomon. The tribes of Israel united to form the kingdom under the leadership of charismatic judges, and Saul was anointed as the first king” (Wikipedia—NC).

Premillennialism (true doctrine in my opinion—NC)

This scriptural teaching holds that Christ will return to earth (which begins the millennium, as they “lived and reigned with Christ” - Rev 20:4—NC), literally and bodily, before the millennial age begins and that, by His presence a kingdom will be instituted over which He will reign. In this kingdom Israel’s covenant will be fulfilled (Jer 31:31-33; Eze 36:25-27—NC). It will continue for a thousand years, after which the kingdom will be given by the Son to the Father (1 Corinthians 15:24) when it will merge with His eternal kingdom composed of the new heaven and the new earth.

Amillennialism

This error is most extant today, and claims that there will be no literal millennium on earth following Christ’s return. It is maintained that all prophecies concerning the kingdom are being fulfilled now by the Church (Preterism—NC). Augustine taught this theory, held to this day by Roman Catholicism. Their very structure of church government and their program of works depend upon this erroneous use of the Old Testament promises about the coming kingdom, as fulfilled in and by their church (attempting to receive Israel’s promises of an eternal kingdom on the new earth, i.e. New Israel, which is false; but Christians will inherit the new heaven—NC).

Many Reformed churches and Covenant theologians (Covenantism involves those who teach God has a Covenant with Christians, but the present Covenant is with the Father and Son and not with God and Christians. Christians are only recipients of the “Covenant of Redemption” - Heb 13:20, 21 - and are not covenanters in this Covenant. —NC), as well as Liberals also hold to amillennailism. Generally it is denied that Christ will literally rein on earth. Satan is conceived as bound at the first coming of Christ (during His time He spent on earth—NC). This present age is claimed to be the actual realization of the millennium. There are some differences as to whether the millennium is being fulfilled on earth (Augustine), or whether it is being fulfilled by the saints in heaven (Warfield—reformed). It is the idea that there will be no more millennium than there is now, and the eternal state immediately follows Christ’s second coming.

Postmillennialism

This hitherto discarded but now returning concept originated in the writings of one Daniel Whitby (1638-1726), a Unitarian controversialist of England. He held that the present age will end with a period of great spiritual blessing corresponding to the millennial promises, and that this will be accomplished by the preaching of the Gospel.

The whole world will be Christianized and brought to submission to the Gospel before the return of Christ (actually, the majority of mankind will perish - Mat 7:13, 14—NC). The theory is that Christ will return after the millennium, hence postmillennial. This teaching was at its peak prior to World War 1, pouring out glowing accounts of the triumphant progress of Christianity, recognition of the universal brotherhood of men, and the power of the church in world affairs.

The conflagration of the First World War brought these claims and aspirations to an abrupt halt. It finally became obvious that man was not adequate within himself as their humanism had contended. The day of a golden age, in which Christian principles should dominate the world after their postmillennial pattern, faded away. But now, a generation later, there is an effort to reestablish this error.

—John F Walvoord

MJS devotional excerpt for September 12

"The mistake with many saints in the present day is that they think because they can describe a truth, that therefore they have learned it. When a truth is really accepted, the conscience demands that there should be accordance with it.

"The Scriptures tell me what the Father gives me, but they do not give it to me. The Spirit applies the Word to me in its divine meaning, and then I possess what Scripture tells me is mine through God’s grace. For instance, the Word tells me that if I behold the Lord’s glory I shall be transformed. It doesn’t transform me, however clearly I may see what it states. It communicates to me a very great thing, that it is the Spirit who makes it experiential to me." –J B Stoney (1814-1897)

Millennium

This is a theological term, from the Latin mille (thousand), and annum (year). The Millennium indicates Christ’s future thousand-year reign—His kingdom rule over Israel (on the old and new earth—NC); Revelation 20. The disciples asked, “Lord, wilt Thou at this time restore again the kingdom to Israel?” (Acts 1:6).

Note: United Kingdom of Israel

“This kingdom existed from around 1020 to 922 BCE and was ruled by Saul, David, and Solomon. The tribes of Israel united to form the kingdom under the leadership of charismatic judges, and Saul was anointed as the first king” (Wikipedia—NC).

Premillennialism (true doctrine in my opinion—NC)

This scriptural teaching holds that Christ will return to earth (which begins the millennium, as they “lived and reigned with Christ” - Rev 20:4—NC), literally and bodily, before the millennial age begins and that, by His presence a kingdom will be instituted over which He will reign. In this kingdom Israel’s covenant will be fulfilled (Jer 31:31-33; Eze 36:25-27—NC). It will continue for a thousand years, after which the kingdom will be given by the Son to the Father (1 Corinthians 15:24) when it will merge with His eternal kingdom composed of the new heaven and the new earth.

Amillennialism

This error is most extant today, and claims that there will be no literal millennium on earth following Christ’s return. It is maintained that all prophecies concerning the kingdom are being fulfilled now by the Church (Preterism—NC). Augustine taught this theory, held to this day by Roman Catholicism. Their very structure of church government and their program of works depend upon this erroneous use of the Old Testament promises about the coming kingdom, as fulfilled in and by their church (attempting to receive Israel’s promises of an eternal kingdom on the new earth, i.e. New Israel, which is false; but Christians will inherit the new heaven—NC).

Many Reformed churches and Covenant theologians (Covenantism involves those who teach God has a Covenant with Christians, but the present Covenant is with the Father and Son and not with God and Christians. Christians are only recipients of the “Covenant of Redemption” - Heb 13:20, 21 - and are not covenanters in this Covenant. —NC), as well as Liberals also hold to amillennailism. Generally it is denied that Christ will literally rein on earth. Satan is conceived as bound at the first coming of Christ (during His time He spent on earth—NC). This present age is claimed to be the actual realization of the millennium. There are some differences as to whether the millennium is being fulfilled on earth (Augustine), or whether it is being fulfilled by the saints in heaven (Warfield—reformed). It is the idea that there will be no more millennium than there is now, and the eternal state immediately follows Christ’s second coming.

Postmillennialism

This hitherto discarded but now returning concept originated in the writings of one Daniel Whitby (1638-1726), a Unitarian controversialist of England. He held that the present age will end with a period of great spiritual blessing corresponding to the millennial promises, and that this will be accomplished by the preaching of the Gospel.

The whole world will be Christianized and brought to submission to the Gospel before the return of Christ (actually, the majority of mankind will perish - Mat 7:13, 14—NC). The theory is that Christ will return after the millennium, hence postmillennial. This teaching was at its peak prior to World War 1, pouring out glowing accounts of the triumphant progress of Christianity, recognition of the universal brotherhood of men, and the power of the church in world affairs.

The conflagration of the First World War brought these claims and aspirations to an abrupt halt. It finally became obvious that man was not adequate within himself as their humanism had contended. The day of a golden age, in which Christian principles should dominate the world after their postmillennial pattern, faded away. But now, a generation later, there is an effort to reestablish this error.

—John F Walvoord

MJS devotional excerpt for September 12

"The mistake with many saints in the present day is that they think because they can describe a truth, that therefore they have learned it. When a truth is really accepted, the conscience demands that there should be accordance with it.

"The Scriptures tell me what the Father gives me, but they do not give it to me. The Spirit applies the Word to me in its divine meaning, and then I possess what Scripture tells me is mine through God’s grace. For instance, the Word tells me that if I behold the Lord’s glory I shall be transformed. It doesn’t transform me, however clearly I may see what it states. It communicates to me a very great thing, that it is the Spirit who makes it experiential to me." –J B Stoney (1814-1897)

Netchaplin

I have not see this before. I really enjoyed the breakdown. Thank you for this.
Puts a nice solid perspective. Very Nice :)

Back