Missions

Thinking on global missions lately.
Has anyone been on a mission trip, if so where?
Is there any particular people/area that God has put on your heart to reach? Or could it be said, anyone outside your immediate family is your mission. I was thinking of Paul, how he was apostle to the Gentiles. The Gentiles were basically anyone who wasn't Jewish. He went out of his comfort zone on three journeys by sea to reach them. In his day they would have been greeks, romans, vikings, gauls, barbarians..who to you are the people 'outside' and how far to the ends of the earth would you go to reach them?

Has anyone been on a mission trip, if so where?
Is there any particular people/area that God has put on your heart to reach? Or could it be said, anyone outside your immediate family is your mission. I was thinking of Paul, how he was apostle to the Gentiles. The Gentiles were basically anyone who wasn't Jewish. He went out of his comfort zone on three journeys by sea to reach them. In his day they would have been greeks, romans, vikings, gauls, barbarians..who to you are the people 'outside' and how far to the ends of the earth would you go to reach them?
As far and near As He Sends.
Better to be Truly Sent
Then Just simply Went

Lanolin - I truly wish that Dusty was still active here at the forum. She has been to many countries with her group doing missionary work and had many great stories to share.

Lanolin - I found three, listed below from 2009 and 2010, where Dusty was participating in discussions...

Some very early threads were part of a different CFS software package and can no longer be accessed.

https://christianforumsite.com/threads/awake-oh-sleeper.25385/#post-204854

https://christianforumsite.com/threads/will-time-and-experience-make-us-humble.22855/#post-187934

https://christianforumsite.com/threads/greater-appreciation-through-hardships.21806/#post-180146
Oh it wont let me access them. :-(

Thanks.
I wonder what countries she went to. She says 'third world' but that could be anywhere.
I dont know if back in Pauls day, there would have been things like a 'first world, second world, third world' he just went to the gentiles, and them some of the were in cities and some in the countryside, some where extremely wealthy like the town of ephesus, and some were simple villagers, for he witnessed to both small and great.
But I think it was very different for Paul because the unbelieving Jews tried to stop him from preaching.
These days there is less persecution, but it seems the more there is the further the gospel spreads.

Lanolin, I believe that she concentrated on the Dominican Republic, making four missionary trips there between 2006 and 2009. She also did Mission work through her Church in Toronto, Canada, locally - because of the diversity of the population there from approximately 45 other countries.

Bringing Christ's Gospel to those who are unfamiliar with it, is a noble cause and many persons benefit from mission work because they have an opportunity to hear the wonderful News that Christ taught during His lifetime, to learn about God and to ultimately be Saved.

Toronto is like Auckland, very cosmpolitan. I heard there was a big movement there a few decades ago that started in the 'toronto airport fellowship' like a revival, or another kind of upper room pentecost.
I learned you dont have to go far if you live in the city to do mission work, as new people arrive everyday.

God wants all of us to worship Him, people of every tribe, tongue and nation.

I have been reading a christian book called do small things with great love, about loving your neighbour even if she or he is different from you....especially if they are different. This is what the Good Samaritan teaches us.

Not many people talk about the Samaritan people these days although everyone is aware of their Jewish cousins. The Samaritan people had different worship customs from the Jews and they were hostile to each other, but it seems the Jews looked down on the Samaritans more and treated them like inferiors. If a Samaritan walked down the street. A Jewish person would just totally ignore them, they shunned them, wouldnt wave or say hello, or even give them the time of day.

Yest the story of the good samaritan shows us that when the tables were reversed, it was the samaritan that went to help a jewish person who was down and treated them with kindness and compassion, while others, even their own brethren passed them by.

When Jesus commissioned or called his disciples to go out into the world preaching the gospel, he told them to start in jerusalem, go into Judea (the jewish homeland) SAMARIA (where the samaritans lived) and beyond into all the world. Well if we are in this mission, why are some people still bypassing Samaria...the people in our own cities and neighbourhoods, or the next suburb, and skipping over into the rest of the world?

As far and near As He Sends.
Better to be Truly Sent
Then Just simply Went
Difficult Issue, for example I work in a very worldly area. (Hospital). When I would talk about Jesus and God... they would send me a psychiatrist. The patients are mostly believers. How is it possible to talk about this matter when really nobody wants to hear it? They (docters and nurses) even make jokes about believers... and even though this is bad, these unbelievers are nice and helpfull to the patients. How can I begin to open their harts?

Difficult Issue, for example I work in a very worldly area. (Hospital). When I would talk about Jesus and God... they would send me a psychiatrist. The patients are mostly believers. How is it possible to talk about this matter when really nobody wants to hear it? They (docters and nurses) even make jokes about believers... and even though this is bad, these unbelievers are nice and helpfull to the patients. How can I begin to open their harts?
Lots of prayer.
Begin with saturating the hospital in prayer. Pray in the Spirit... release God's love and forgiveness over every patient and employee... and ask the Father to give each nd every person another chance to know how much He loves them. And then ask Father how to pray beyond that and for the Words (in the Spirit or in the natural) to pray over them all. Thank Him and release peace and joy over every person nd bind the enemy from their minds, the one who is whispering in their ears lies that keep them out of the kingdom. Then just let your light shine and watch what the Father does in and through you... and be obedient to His every instruction.

You will be amazed

Blessings

Lots of prayer.
Begin with saturating the hospital in prayer. Pray in the Spirit... release God's love and forgiveness over every patient and employee... and ask the Father to give each nd every person another chance to know how much He loves them. And then ask Father how to pray beyond that and for the Words (in the Spirit or in the natural) to pray over them all. Thank Him and release peace and joy over every person nd bind the enemy from their minds, the one who is whispering in their ears lies that keep them out of the kingdom. Then just let your light shine and watch what the Father does in and through you... and be obedient to His every instruction.

You will be amazed

Blessings

Theres a fundraising missions dinner at the local church thus month am thinking of going some people are going to talk about their missions in India and Afghanistan.
I have not been on a 'missions trip' which I think of as one outside my own country although I would say I go on 'mission trips' all the time within my own town...its hard enough getting time to get out of town let alone going to another country..plus you do need somewhere to stay and accomodation isnt easy to find. I wonder how people are put up in missions by other believers or do they just rent a home? Or do they stay in hotels.

.its hard enough getting time to get out of town let alone going to another country..plus you do need somewhere to stay and accomodation isnt easy to find. I wonder how people are put up in missions by other believers or do they just rent a home? Or do they stay in hotels.
That's just it....
When your called to go then all that is not even a concern. God takes care of it all and you go where He says.

If you just go on your own then all these cares will be apon you.

Blessings

Has anyone been on a mission trip, if so where? Is there any particular people/area that God has put on your heart to reach? Or could it be said, anyone outside your immediate family is your mission. I was thinking of Paul, how he was apostle to the Gentiles. The Gentiles were basically anyone who wasn't Jewish. He went out of his comfort zone on three journeys by sea to reach them. In his day they would have been greeks, romans, vikings, gauls, barbarians..who to you are the people 'outside' and how far to the ends of the earth would you go to reach them?

Hi Lanolin;

We went on a missions trip in Central America, to a country called Belize. We went there to build a playground at a children's "temporary" shelter" for abused children before they are sent to a permanent shelter.

In the evening our missions group did a Bible study in the books of Acts and discussed Paul's first missionary to Asia Minor and 2nd/3rd to Macedonia, Achaia and Ephesus, and shared how we could relate a little to Paul's ministry, what if felt like to be in a country not able to speak the language, and being pretty far from San Francisco. I remember sharing how much I hated doing the physical work of shoveling a mountain of dirt in the hot sun, the atmosphere was between humid and dry. But when we thought of the children, many of them bruised, beaten abandoned and some of the children's parents could not be identified, it made it all worth the work and for one cause, to give God glory for serving His little children. At the end when the playground was completed, the look on the children's faces made it all worth serving Him.

The second mission was years earlier in life when my Dad was stationed in Germany. It was difficult as a boy living in another country and adapting to their customs. I learned to speak very basic Deutsch in the 3rd - 5th grade, but living in a German neighborhood the community was very friendly. In a way, this was a kind of a mission where I was the one being ministered to. There was a purety in the neighborhood that ministered to me as a child and it was that time in Germany that I gave my life to Jesus.

God bless you and your family.

That's just it....
When your called to go then all that is not even a concern. God takes care of it all and you go where He says.

If you just go on your own then all these cares will be apon you.

Blessings
Thats cool cos I heard some missions agencies require you to fundraise basically beg others for funds which they then dole out to you. That never sat well with me. If God calls you to go He will provide and you wont need to ask anyone for money.

Went to the missions dinner last night and heard about what God is doing in Bengal, that was a mission first started by William Carey. The baptist missionary society are the main agent for this. A couple spoke about the work they did there and they are going back in July. It seems like they are reaching out to mainly young women because there is a lot of prostitution there which is the main industry and only kind of work that many women can do if they dont have a husband to support them. Which happens a lot when husbands desert their wives or die or whatever. So they help set up a sewing factory among other projects they work on. Aside from bringing economic freedom, the couple emphasied they want to help bring spiritual freedom in Christ for these precious daughters.

The other one was MSF or doctors without borders, but they are not a christian organisation, however the nurse that went there saw it as her mission to go and be a light in the darkness. She went for 9 months. Their main export is heroin and she said all the farmland is used to farm poppies to make it, instead of actual food for people in their own country. So bad!!! Where the wicked rule, the righteous suffer.

Am thankful I live in a country where we have freedom to worship and where the Lord is recongised. But theres always plenty to do in our own backyards.

Back