Names of God and meanings: EL and YAH

We continue to look at the different names of God. This time, we want to look at the names EL and YAH.

EL was a common name and a "base" name for God. Yet even the pagan Canaanites had a god called EL. To get a deeper meaning, we must look at the names EL and YAH from a Paleo-Hebrew perspective.

If you remember, I believe I explained this, if not, forgive me. The "Paleo-Hebrew" is the earliest type of Hebrew script. I often wonder if the 10 Commandments were written in that form, on the tablets, and even if the 5 books that Moses wrote through the inspiration of the Holy Spirit, were written in the Paleo-Hebrew script. These were similar to the Egyptian Hieroglyphics, which Moses knew very well.

The name "EL" consists of only two letters, in Hebrew they are the "Aleph" and the "Lamed". The letter "Aleph" does not have a sound, it is a silent letter in Hebrew, yet it takes the sound of a vowel which is placed below the letter to the left of the letter. So, it can be any vowel sound. The "Lamed" is "L"

The Paleo-Hebrew letter "Aleph" is the first letter in the Alef-Bet (Hebrew Alphabet). It took the form of an ox-head with two horns, Which indicates "strength" So the first letter "Aleph" in the name of God indicates "A God of strength, or a "Strong God". Back then, the ox was a work animal and it was considered the strongest animal around. So when the Hebrews viewed God, they viewed God as a "Strong God, as strong as an ox."

I guess today we look at "strength" and "power" using "Horsepower" and we look at car engines as "200 horsepower" or more. Back then, it was the ox. (ox-power).

The second letter is "Lamed" or the letter "L". This letter takes the shape of an upside-down shepherd staff. This letter has the symbol of "guidance, leading, leadership, instruction, learning" So, when we put the two letters together; "Aleph and Lamed, " we get the identity of God as "The Strong God who leads, guides, and instructs. This is so true. He guides us, leads us, and instructs us through his Holy Writ, through his Holy Spirit, through His chosen vessels of teaching and instruction; Rabbis, pastores, Torah teachers, Sunday school teachers, godly mothers and fathers, godly grandparents, etc..

The name EL appears in the names of quite a few godly men of the Bible: DaniEL (My judge is EL) NathaniEL (EzekiEL) JoEL, and a lot more.

Now, the name YAH, which is the first part of the most holy name of God; YHVH, has two letters, Yod, (Y) and Hey (H) the "a" is not written as it is a vowel. In Hebrew words, vowels are not written (officially). In the ancient paleo-Hebrew, the "Yod" (Y) takes the form of an arm and hand. It is similar to the Egyptian Hieroglyh of the same. The "Yod" symbolizes "action" "work" "activity" or "to make something or do something"

Then the "Hey" or the letter "H" symbolizes "behold" "revelation" something that is "revealed." The ancient Paleo-Hebrew letter "Hey" took the form of a person with arms raised, calling attention to someone. So, when we put the letters Yod and Hey together, we get YaH, which symbolizes; "Behold the outstretched arm and hand" of God. The LORD has revealed his HOLY ARM in the sight of the nations. This is a perfect picture of Calvary, when Jesus/Yeshua "stretched forth his arms and hands, to receive the nails. We could also say; Behold or revealed is the creation of God, who made all things.

There are also righteous men of the Bible who have that name in their names: Eli YAHhu (Elijah) (My God is YAH) YirimYAHhu (Jeremiah) YeshaYAHhu (Isaiah) YeshuAH (Jesus, or Salvation is from YAH) MatitYAHhu (Matthew)

We can also look at the "Gematria" which is the use of numbers in the Hebrew letters. This is NOT NUMEROLOGY. Numerology is occultic! Each number (1-10) basically has a meaning; 1 = unity or uniqueness 2= unity and/or division 3= Elohim, 4= physical earth, the 4 directions, North, South, East, West,
5=grace, 6=mankind, 7=perfection of God, 8=a new beginning 9=Truth, Jesus who is the Way the TRUTH, and the life, 10=The perfection of the Torah (The Torah is perfect, we are NOT.

So, EL, would be 1 + 30 = 31. Elohim who is 1. 1 x 1 x 1 = 1 YAH would be 10 + 5 = 15 God who is 1, is full of grace (5)

This is within the norms of Messianic Judaism. But it makes sense, right? I think it does, it paints an interesting picture.

shalom

1721105986451.png1721106242667.png

Also, When the name EL is used, it is used in connection with other names: EL-Elyon, El-Ohei, When Yeshua was on the cross, He cried out "Eli, Eli, Lama, Sabaktani, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" He was quoting Psalm 22!

this is a very BEAUTIFUL post... and although I could not wrap my brain around all of it's depth... I did learn that El and Yah seem to be prefixes. I have always been so afraid of trying to do deep studies. You have made this reachable and relatively easy to understand.

Thank you. I love contemplating/meditating on the names of God.... they fill my heart with JOY... PEACE and COMFORT.

Also, When the name EL is used, it is used in connection with other names: EL-Elyon, El-Ohei, When Yeshua was on the cross, He cried out "Eli, Eli, Lama, Sabaktani, "My God, My God, why have you forsaken me?" He was quoting Psalm 22!

Good morning, Ben;

Thank you for sharing an excellent thread. Question;

Is the name El used only in a pious way in the Hebraic, or can this be used to address a layman?

God bless you, brother.

Well, the name EL is not used alone, it is used as with ELohim, EL-Elyon, pretty much with other names of God, it basically means the "God of Instruction"

Back