Nazarites

Am reading book of Numbers and in chapter 6 its talking about Nazarites. Its all very strange to me, especially about the hair. Why cant it be cut? Are nazarites just people separate from others like is it a vow of celibacy? Or just a vow to be teetotal? But it seems like not only liquor isnt drunk but anything made of grapes. Was Jesus a nazarite, he was from Nazareth...or John the baptist. What was this vow and how long was it for? Why is there an offering afterward? I dont understand...could someone explain?

Samson was a nazarite, but he had a girlfriend, Delilah. She cut off his hair and his strength left him. Am not sure what the connection between hair and strength is...

Hmm am still a bit puzzled by Nazarites can anyone help explain the connection especially the hair thing. I understand the levites were also holy and set apart for God as they tended the tabernacle in the OT, but I dont quite understand the role of the Nazirites, what were they doing while they werent cutting their hair? Were they building or making things?

Ok..asked my bible teacher and she did some googling lol.
I mean not that I dont research also but thought she or any if you on CFS might be more knowledgable.

I thought maybe the Nazarite vow was a sort of back up for the Levites who were appointed to look after the tabernacle. That tribe and whoever was born in thst tribe automatically got set apart to do that to do this full time. But the nazarite vow seems voluntary. So it might work as like a casual or temp or even contractor position, so to speak, for the tabernacle. (And later, temple)

She shared that Samson, Samuel and John the Baptists were Nazarites from the womb for life it seems. In the book of Acts, Paul and some of the diciples also pay a vow which might be a nazarite vow for a length of time.

Another time Jepthah makes a vow and ends up offering his daughter up to pay it. I think this must be another nazirite vow although some people seem to think he sacrificied his own daughter as a burnt offering. Um..no but the nazarites do shave off their hair at the end of their time of separation and offer it to be burned.

1 corinthians 11 seems to reference the nazarite vow or custom of long hair and shaving it. And how its a glory for women to have long hair but not so for men...for many women its a shame to be shorn although in our day and age its more acceptable for women to have short hair. Hmm

NUmbers 6 references the same 'power on the head' in terms of consecration.

Now this scripture makes me think of sheep being shorn for some reason?! Although we dont make anything from our hair.....except for maybe wigs. With sheeps wools you can make jumpers and carpet...I suppose its like a sacrifice.

Ack my hair is getting long, and Im asking my friend shes a hairdresser to cut it but she hasnt responded to my email. But as far as I know she doesnt offer it to God although she's a christian hairdresser. I wonder how long is too long, its starting to get annoying!

Plus, what about dyeing ones hair what does God say about that? Doesnt He say we cant turn one hair thats white black..? But people dye their hair all the time?

But as far as I know she doesnt offer it to God although she's a christian hairdresser.
I guess if we start offering our hair clippings up to God, we might as well offer up our fingernail clippings also. After all, they're both made of keratin.

I dont know about fingernail clippings. For the Nazarites it was just hair, if you dont ever cut your fingernails they grow long and gnarly and you end up with your photo in the Guinness Book of Records, freaking everyone out.
Actually, I might look up what the record is for the longest hair.

longest hair according to Guiness Book of Records 155.5 cms.
Finally had my hair cut, my hairdresser said she just put hair in rubbish bin. She said it takes forever to compost. She doesnt burn it.
May go back to work on Tuesday and find I dont have the strength lol.

Long hair can be a glory but long hair can also be a hassle to maintain!

Hmm got lots more compliments for my short hair than I ever did for my long hair. And yet, long hair is meant to be a glory for women. Puzzled!

Although, how short is short. And how long is long. It wasnt shaved.

Back